LIFE IN A SMALL ECO VILLAGE IN SOUTHERN NORWAY
Previously, for 12 years, we owned and ran a 9-acre organic permaculture farm in Hawaii. We had many woofers and interns during that time, exclusively a life enriching experience. Now our family of three lives in our comfy straw bale house located adjacent to a small-scale organic farm in southern Norway.
We are involved in farm activities on different levels and are now renting a 6.5 hectare piece of land for a Non-profit Permaculture Project. A lot of energy is channeled here. Our daughter Sophia (1998), studies art. My wife Ingunn work as a local doctor (general practitioner). My name is Robin and work as a social worker with people born both deaf and blind, and I also teach Marshall Rosenbergs communication-model "NVC". We have many ongoing projects that you can get involved with. We speak English quite well, + little French but less German and no Spanish. We would love to get to know you and practice life enriching communication. We hope to make for a wonderful exchange/experience and that we share meals and project time as much as is joyful for us all. We are yoga practitioners and we can exchange on this level as well. 😊
Beautifully located, traditional Norwegian farm is run by pair of dedicated farmers. Roar and Rakel have been running this place since the 90s and took it to a whole new level. Now, apart from ordinary farm life, there is a small-scale dairy production and a weekend-only open Café’. A great opportunity to taste homemade pizza, cinnamon rolls and great quality yoghurt. Furthermore, the farm is open for visitors and hosts all sorts of gatherings.
Roar and Rakel speak English pretty well. Roar works on the farm all day long and needs help with different tasks. Rakel is a landscape architect ang helps with organizing and maintaining the place. Their three sons live nearby and are a great help for the farm.
Práctica de idiomas
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Proyectos de construcción y bricolaje
Cuidado de animales
Ayuda en una granja
Cocinar para toda la familia
Ayuda con ordenadores/Internet
A ECO VILLAGE LIFESTYLE.
You will live on the farm but will be exposed to a small Eco village in which 11 families enjoy their lives. Our house, being 1 of 4 straw bale buildings, are built to the highest standards. Our knowledge on ecological living could contribute to your learning. In winter, every Sunday we have movie night at our house. Neighbours come for popcorn and tea and we take turns in presenting our choice of film. Occasionally we gather for bonfire and music under the stars.
LOCAL AND NATIONAL HISTORY
The area is quite picturesque and has a historical heritage that predates the viking era. Walks in the area will show signs of how people lived as far back as 8000 years ago.
NORWAY'S OLDEST CITY - TØNSBERG
Driving 10 minutes by car you will find yourself in a buzzing tourist magnet of a costal town. The population of 50 000 people is more than doubled in summer months. Museums, medieval castle site, local markets and all the diversions a town can provide, you will find here.
We hold permaculture and NVC communication workshops. You can attend when you find a topic that interests you.
LEARN HOW TO WINDSURF
During April-October there will be an opportunity to learn windsurfing, provided that the instructor has time and weather permits. It is nice to have a shift from farm-life once in a while.
SKIING AND WINTER SPORTS
There are cross-country ski-tracks right outside our door.
Downhill opportunities a few hours away.
En este proyecto podría haber niños. Para obtener más información, consulta nuestras directrices y consejos aquí.
Este anfitrión ofrece alojamiento y paga.
El anfitrión ha indicado que pagará al menos el salario mínimo por hora de su país por cada hora trabajada y que también ofrecerá alojamiento. Pide ayuda con un negocio o una actividad empresarial. Ponte en contacto directamente con el anfitrión mediante la mensajería de la página para obtener más información y detalles sobre el salario ofrecido. Cualquier acuerdo con el anfitrión debe cerrarse por anticipado.
CHORES - PROJECTS:
1. THE LAND PROJECT. I am currently involved in the Norwegian Permaculture movement as the national coordinator. I also regularly host workshops and meetings for enthusiasts. The LAND project consists of 4 different permaculture demonstration sites that I hope WorkAway'ers will contribute to. (the perennial garden, PK- element-placement-site, the forest garden and the mushroom-forest grove) LAND stands for L=learning, A=activity, N=network and D=demonstration. The farm gets around 300 visitors each week. My hope is to make a vivid display of Permaculture Ethics and Principles so as to inspire visitors. This involves greenhouse work, propagating plants, sales, planting trees, Permaculture designing, building the permaculture office and more. We would like to create an artistic installation as well. All the income from the Land Project will be funneled towards its further development.
2. THE PATHWAY. Our area is of historical significance that predates the Viking era. A pathway that will lead farm visitors to the Permaculture site via educational-stations, is another project in the making. We will apply for a grant that will help us in this pursuit. Ideas and design-suggestions are very welcomed.
3. THE PONDS. We are creating a multipurpose pond-system to serve both as our drinking water in severe droughts but mostly for watering the yard, aesthetics and swimming.
4. STRAWBALE BUILDING. Our straw-bale house needs some maintenance and additions. The clay plaster on the straw-bale-houses next door needs maintenance as well.
5. GARDENING. We have several vegetable gardens and greenhouses that need constant attention. This includes sowing, weeding, mulching, harvesting and preserving.
6. HOUSEHOLD CHORES. Our mostly vegetarian cuisine would love inspiration from other parts of the world. Cleaning the house is also something very welcomed ... We have a cat.
7. WE NEED HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR WEBPAGES. If you have experience with WordPress you could develop our web page into something informative and useful. Once your work-exchange hours are completed - this is where we offer paid work. ( efferus.no )
8. WINDSURFING SCHOOL. There is another project that’s important for me to set off with. For 5 years I have run my own windsurfing school and would like to make that business grow. (April to October) If you feel inspired to contribute to progress with this, then please speak up. A radio commercial could easily pump up this avenue to a booming business in the summer. Our part of Norway increases the population in summer by 100%.
If you come as a farm helper and want to learn how to windsurf or try Sand-Up-Paddling you have a great opportunity for this. It is nice to leave for the beach for some adventures sometimes.
9. Farm. Your working hours will be equally divided between farm work and the permaculture LAND-project. The farm is a small scale organic Norwegian farm with lots of animals (cows, hens, ducks, rabbits, sheep, horses, peacocks...) and crops to take care of. You will be involved in everyday tasks such as animal and vegetable need-attention and as well as taking care of the guests visiting the farm. The farm also has a homemade organic dairy production that you can be involved in and help the business grow. There are sometimes people from all around the world working on the farm. This provides for a great cultural exchange opportunity. What’s more, the farmers, Roar and Rakel, take a great care of their guests and workers, most of the food eaten there is grown on farm, so it’s a truly ecological and organic lifestyle to experience here.
Norwegian bokmål: Fluido
Este anfitrión ofrece intercambio de idiomas
Este anfitrión ha indicado que está interesado en compartir su idioma o aprender otro.
Ponte en contacto con él para obtener más información.
NON SMOKERS ARE WELCOME
Enjoy a cabin for 1-2 persons. Joint access to facilities like toilet, shower, kitchen, washer and wifi in the farm's cafe. We expect 5 hours per day in exchange for room and board.
Ingredients for breakfast, lunch, dinner and an evening meal will be provided for and it is great if you come and do the shopping when we do. We have busy lives and you might have to prepare and eat alone occasionally.
If you desire to journey off so as to experience other parts of Norway you can work extra for days exploring with our Toyota Yaris. We have a tent you can use.
Transport to town includes 3 options. You can borrow our bike, nice bicycle paths take you all the way to town. A bus-stop is inconveniently located 1.5 km away from our house. Only 4 trips round trip are provided daily. We frequently go to town so if you want you can ride with us.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
You will have internet access during your stay in our Cafe'.
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil: