*** We need help in July with the insulation of the inner side of our external walls of the 250 years old farmhouse ***
*** Working under the supervision and with the help of a professional ***
*** Please read the text in the paragraphe "HELP" ***
Mira (42), Dennis (42), little Julian (4) and Jonas (1) live in a 250 years old renovated house in a small but lovely village called, EPPELDORF.
In 2012, we bought some land near DIEKIRCH with a marvelous view over the Sure Valley. Since then, we installed an ORCHARD with 50 trees (old traditional an typical regional fruit varieties) and a VEGEABLE GARDEN with a permaculture design. Many projects, like tree planting & pruning, fencing, hay making with scythe and an oldtimer tractor, building of an animal shelter and a handicraft place, composting, installing an irrigation system, building a compost toilet,,... have been accomplished so far.
In 2014, we started an ambitious project related to the construction of a DRY STONE WALL. Passionate by old building techniques, we warmly welcome volunteers to share this old knowledge and learn how to build a wall without any mortar to bind stones together.
2014-2015 we traveled 1 year around Europe to work as volunteers at different farms. This was a great experience, that´s why we decided to be hosts ourselves.
2016 we hosted our first volunteers.
In January 2017, Julian was born and completed our family.
2018 we bought an OLD FARMHOUSE in EPPELDORF, a village at the edge of the Mullerthal Region, called Luxembourg´s little Switzerland. We renovated with the help of an architect and several handicraft firms in addition to many hours of personal work of us with family, friends and volunteers. The first renovation phase of the farmhouse is coming to an end, the next phase (expansion of the attic) is in preparation.
In January 2021, after two and a half year of renovations, we moved into our "new" 250-year-old farm house. 200m2 of living space offer a comfortable life.
2021 little baby Jonas enlarged our family.
Projetos de construção/faça você mesmo
Cuidar de crianças/atividades criativas
Criar/cozinhar refeições caseiras
Ajuda a cuidar da casa
During the renovation work, we'll share our knowledge about renovation skills, architecture, handy skills, ... At the orchard, general information about gardening, bee keeping, fruit tree pruning, preservation of food, sheep, dry stone wall techniques, ... can be transmitted.
Dennis and Mira speak 5 languages (French, German, English, Luxemburgish and Dutch).
MIRA is biologist and has worked as a nature reserve manager. She has a solid knowledge about local biodiversity, geology and landscape. Used to lead guided tours for tourists and groups, she loves to tell and explain & share knowledge. Currently, Mira is a full time mum and during her free time she is lobbying for children´s rights in an association.
DENNIS is a part-time gardening teacher at a secondary school and part-time circus artist. He is very enthusiastic to initiate the basics of partner acrobatics and other techniques.
Este projeto pode envolver crianças. Para mais informações, veja aqui nossas diretrizes e dicas.
We are looking for :
- motivated people (construction skills are welcome but not essential)
- preferably a COUPLE or FAMILY (kids ABOVE! 5 years are very welcome)
We have been volunteers during a year in several farms in Europe and appreciated it to work WITH the hosts and not FOR the hosts. We look for volunteers who are OK with helping 20-25h/week (mostly on weekends as we work during the week) and give a hand at the household chores. The rest of the week, you are free to travel and discover our surroundings. We appreciate if you are independent during your leisure time, we´re can recommend you several trips.
*** During July, we will install the interior insulation of the external walls of our 250 years old house. The insulation will be done with cork from cork oak and clay.
The professional clay builder, who has been with us for years on our renovation project, is visiting us to instruct and guide us from 13-16th of July. The work to be done will be:
- shovel the ready to use mix into buckets
- hang the buckets on the stringing block ("poulie électrique " (F), "elektrischer Seilzug" (D))
- take the buckets and pour the mix into the "Verschalung" (D) "coffrage" (F) build beforehand
- compact the mix by ramming ("stampfen" (D) ; "piler avec pilon" (F))
Work to be done beforehand (End of June - Beginning of July)
- Prepare the construction site, i.e. remove the old plaster of the walls so that everything is ready when the "master" comes
- Participate in the building of a "Verschalung" (D) "coffrage" (F) where the mix of clay and cork will be but in to solidify while drying
- Gardening, childcare, preparing meals, ...
If this appeals to you, we would be grateful if you could arrive beginning of July. Then we have time to get to know each other before the professional arrives and to get some basic information on renovating a monument.
The days will be quite busy. But don't worry, it's not just about muscle work but also about brains. Moving heavy material requires the right technique, we will show you everything. A lot of tact is required here and there will be tasks that makes every fine motorist happy.
There is enough time to exchange ideas, to enjoy and discover.
If you want to extend your stay beyond the 16th of July, you are most welcome. We will have time to rest, explore the surroundings cook and eat together, enyoy life ... Our area is very beautiful. You can find information here: ***
Help at the FARMHOUSE we just moved in (EPPELDORF):
- taking part in daily chores (cooking, washing up, ...)
- tidiying up the construction site and getting rid of stuff: debris, ...
- making preserves
Activities at the ORCHARD (DIEKIRCH):
- get ahead with the construction of the dry stone wall
- small building and repair projects, ...
- pruning fruit trees (Winter)
- planting and harvesting (Spring & Summer)
Childcare is also possible, but only if you like to do it! Julian goes to school 5 mornings a week.
- We try to cook healthy mostly plant-based food and little animal products. Regrettably, we are unable to consider vegan diet, take into account special food allergies or fastings. Thank you for sharing the meals with us.
- We live in an old farmhouse, but we´re not a farm s. str. There are no animals nor tractors, we don´t live from agriculture,....
Este anfitrião oferece intercâmbio de idiomas
Luxembourg is a small multilingual nation in the heart of Europe. The total of Luxembourg’s population adds up to about 590,321 residents. Foreigners make up 47.7% of the whole population. This makes our country extremely multicultural and…multilingual! The linguistic situation in Luxembourg is rather complex and multi-faceted. In daily life, Luxembourgish, German and French are used for different purposes, depending on the situation. English plays also an important role and it is quite common to hear people speaking Portuguese due to the large Portuguese community.
We just moved in a old renovated house in a very small but lovely village called Eppeldorf.
We offer a room with 2 single beds which can be put toghether and a private bath room. Meals will be prepared and eaten together.
The orchard is located in Diekrich, 7 km away from our house.
Eppeldorf, our place, is located in Luxembourg's Little Switzerland, the Mullerthal Region. This unique biotope is characterized by surprising sandstone rock formations.
Our village is connected to public transport (1 min walk to get to the bus station, 1 bus per hour). The bus goes to the train station in Diekirch.
- 25 minutes by train to Luxembourg City offering plenty of possibilities to visit the UNESCO World Heritage City Fortifications.
- 35 minutes by train to Clervaux hosting the Family of Man Photo Exhibition from Edward Steichen (part of the UNESCO's Memory of the World Register)
- in Luxembourg you can find lot of castles (Vianden, Beaufort, Bourscheid , ...) and other historical sites (World War II, museums, roman sites, ...) all not further than 1 hour traveling.
- there is also a big hiking network starting next to our village the famous "Mullerthal Trail" (112km)
- a very beautiful lake with a hoover dam is also near our place (20-30 min by car) or by bus, ideal for swimming or sunbathing
- In the neighbouring countries: Paris is 2h00 by train; Brussels is 3h00 by train or 2h00 by car; Aachen, Maastricht are 2h00 by car; ...
Acesso à internet
Acesso à internet limitado
Pode hospedar famílias
Our guest room is equipped with a reliable WIFI internet connection and alternatively the WIFI can be switched off, since internet is also available by cable. The room is also equipped with an office table and 2 chairs.
Both the courtyard next to the house and the entrance area of the orchard offer perfect conditions for volunteers travelling by campervan.
Maximum 25 hours a week
Essas classificações são opcionais e foram dadas junto com os comentários dos membros.A classificação média deixada por cada opção é exibida.
Precisão do perfil: