Información de perfil
Evaluación del anfitrión
Porcentaje de respuesta
Usually responds ≤ 2 dias
Bonjour! We are Eyal and Tia. Our home on a forested hill above farmland has an ever-changing view of the Pyrenees. Glass doors light the double-volume lounge, opening onto a terrace, pool and garden. We and our cats, Caramelle and Magic, want to share it with you.
In our free time, we host Shakespeare and poetry readings, and creative workshops for personal growth. These earn no income so, to pursue this dream, we need your creative, DIY, housework and gardening help to create a comfortable and stimulating environment.
We love to work hard, and to relax! We enjoy yoga, walking, cycling, swimming, and exploring local sights, gastronomy and events like the Marciac Jazz and Madiran Wine Festivals, as well as skiing in the Pyrenees.
Our local Tourist Office offers guided walks in summer. Restaurants, markets, wine farms, galleries, museums and horse riding are nearby. Within 2hrs by car are climbing, skiing, river rafting, spas, caves, and beaches.
Tipos de ayuda y oportunidades de aprendizajeProyectos artísticosPráctica de idiomasAyuda en proyectos ecológicosEnseñanzaJardineríaConstrucción y bricolajeCuidado de animalesCocinar para toda la familiaAyuda domésticaMantenimiento general
Intercambio cultural y oportunidades de aprendizaje
CULTURAL, LANGUAGE AND SKILLS OPPORTUNITIES
- Local events include music, dance, food and wine festivals, and flea and farmers' markets.
- There are also classic car rallies, art and photographic exhibitions, walks, seminars, etc.
- We want to learn which music you like and are happy to share our favourite music too.
- You can join us when we visit local art galleries and musical events or go on your own.
- We can teach you computer, Internet and programming skills and learn from you too!
- Our books and movies include classics, drama, sci-fi, thrillers, philosophy, self-help, etc.
- We play board games such as Scrabble, Catan, Backgammon, CashFlow, as well as cards.
- You can learn to make lovely vegan and vegetarian meals, such as fresh hummus.
- Our DIY projects may enable you to learn or practise skills such as painting, woodwork, etc.
- We are in the Madiran wine region where several vineyards offer tasting experiences.
- You can practise yoga with us, and/or attend classes with an excellent teacher nearby.
- We value your skills in housework, DIY, decorating, gardening, IT, or admin and we welcome teachers of yoga, French, dancing, drumming, keyboard, recorder, guitar, or singing.
- We may ask you to help clean bedrooms and bathrooms for non-paying guests considered part of the family. No wages apply in these cases.
- Note: We're organised. You must be happy to follow a schedule, show up on time without reminders, and clean up after yourself (your room and bathroom, tools and equipment).
- Volunteer arrival/departure day is Saturday (arrive p.m; leave a.m.).
- We prefer you to stay for 3 weeks. The minimum is 2 weeks, including the 5-day trial.
- Hours: Approx. 5 hours per day 5 days per week, plus help with all meals you eat. By agreement, you can do more hours one day to free time on another day.
- We awaken at 06:30 and do yoga at 07:15. Breakfast/coffee is at 08:00, followed at 09:00 by chores and planned projects. Lunch is at 13:00. Unless we arrange an afternoon session, you are free until evening chores at 18:00. Dinner is at 19:00. After dinner, we relax with music/board games/movies/reading, etc.
- You can arrange in advance to skip dinner and its chores to go out all afternoon and evening provided the house is quiet (toilette, etc. finished) by 22:30, Sunday to Friday.
- On weekends, volunteers help with any meals they eat. You can relax at home, although we encourage you to spend at least one day out to give everyone some space. Saturday eve may be late, as may Sunday morning! Sunday eve we retire early to rise fresh on Monday.
Este anfitrión ofrece intercambio de idiomas
LANGUAGE PRACTICE - We share most meals with volunteers, with interesting wide-ranging conversations. - We speak English at home. We can teach English vocabulary, grammar and writing. - Tia's qualifications: BA (English, French), BA Honours (English Poetry), MA (Creative Writing). - Tia's mother tongue is English. She also speaks some French, Afrikaans and Hebrew. - Eyal's mother tongue is Hebrew. He is fluent in English and is learning French. - You can participate in the amateur Shakespeare and poetry readings which we host. - To learn French, practise with us, watch French TV or DVDs, and join local activities. - Read, write and translate poetry from English to French or vice versa for pleasure. - Enjoy sci-fi, classic and foreign films or series in English and French or with subtitles.
We prefer to host couples or friends who can share a bedroom and a bathroom. Our own room and two guest rooms each have a private bathroom. There is also a separate guest WC. Some spaces in the main house can accommodate occasional extra guests. A spacious garden cabin can also hold up to four people. Those staying in the cabin use bathrooms in the main house. You might change beds, depending on guests' configuration.
We eat mainly vegetarian food, mostly from a vegan cookbook, i.e. fresh salads, fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and grains. We try to source organic, minimise refined foods, and follow a low-gluten, low-sugar diet. Our meals are tasty, healthy and filling. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or omnivorous, you will be well-nourished.
- If you are vegan or vegetarian, we happily adapt our diet to suit, and also for genuine allergies, but we do not cater for picky eaters, such as "vegetarians" who don't like vegetables, nor do we offer different meals for a single sitting.
- We sometimes enjoy dairy, eggs, fish, seafood, poultry, pork, etc. and the region's delicious desserts, cheese and wine, so you may encounter these, even if you do not eat them.
- We are intermittent fasters, so eat only lunch and dinner and sometimes shift our meals if entertaining or going out. However, you can have breakfast if that makes you happier. :)
- Our 12m x 6m outdoor swimming pool is open from May to November.
- We offer good WIFI. Your use must not interfere with our access.
- We use Skype or WhatsApp for outgoing phone calls.
- We normally do laundry on Monday and finish ironing and packing away by Wednesday.
- Musical instruments include a keyboard, recorders, electronic drum set, Cajon, etc.
- Many walks and cycle rides are possible. You can borrow our bicycles, at your own risk.
- The Chemin de St Jaques—the pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostela—passes nearby.
- We love animals and our cats are friendly, but we do not usually accept visiting pets.
- The property is not suitable for children (the pool is unfenced and the terrain is rough).
- We do not allow smoking anywhere on the property. This is non-negotiable.
- Our house is 2.5km from Maubourguet centre (car 7min, cycle 12min, walk 30min).
- There is no public transport between our house and Maubourguet.
- We have extra bicycles and secure parking for your own bicycles.
- You can rent cars from airports or local rental agencies, and we have parking spaces.
- Car time to airports (mins): Lourdes 36, Pau 52, Biarritz 110, Toulouse 118, Bordeaux 122.
- Trains run from all airports to Tarbes Station, then buses to Maubourguet (except Sun).
- On Saturdays, we can often help with lifts to and from Tarbes Station or Maubourguet.
- Compare ways of getting here and click through to providers: rome2rio.com
- Compare train and bus routes and book tickets: trainline.com
- Local bus timetable: mestrajets.lio.laregion.fr/horaires
- You must get travel insurance before you join us. See workaway.info/links-insurance.html
You agree to:
- Show us proof that you are fully vaccinated against Covid.
- Be willing to wear a mask whenever we wear masks.
- Heed pandemic conventions: social distancing, hand hygiene and, if necessary, quarantine.
Un poco más de información
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
Puede acoger a nómadas digitales
We have a good connection, but we ask Workawayers not to stream or download videos while we are working, to avoid slowing down our conference calls and other work.
Espacio para aparcar autocaravanas
There is room on the driveway to accommodate a small van without blocking access to the garage or the carport.
Podría aceptar mascotas
It depends on the size of your pets and whether they get on well with cats. The borders of our large property are porous (fence can be crossed and our gates are often open); we cannot guarantee your pets will stay on-premises, nor can we take responsibility for their safety. Also, it is an absolute rule that pets on our premises do not eat any human food, including leftovers. Begging in the kitchen or dining room is strongly discouraged.
¿Cuántos voluntarios puedes hospedar?
Más de dos
Approximately 5 hours a day 5 days a week
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil:
We had enriching conversations and they made me feel very welcomed.
And her lemon meringue pie is to die for! No, really, you might as well
We enjoyed conversations with them at meal times, including sharing our different musical tastes. We learned about some Dutch musicians that we hadn't heard of before and enjoyed watching them on YouTube together.
Teun and Tamara are both creative, practical and
I learned plenty of "life hacks" from Tia and also her advises to visit
They are very friendly, open-minded and intelligent. And I've really learned a lot from them (not only in terms of housekeeping, but in general, their worldview). I felt like I was
Evan came to us as a last-minute Workawayer, so we could not plan to use his best skills of writing and music, but he did some good work in our garden, shaping hedges, cleaning up flower beds of cannas and irises, and weeding the vegetable patch. He loves cooking, so was happy to lend a hand in the kitchen and even to take full responsibility
La conversation intelligente, et une excellente cuisine. C'est un bon endroit pour rester! Eyal et Tia sont
They are not only highly experienced in restoration and renovation; they are also great cooks who enjoy taking time over meals and can transform simple ingredients into tasty, beautifully presented dishes. They were also good-humoured, considerate guests who adapted to our lifestyle, making it
We enjoyed interesting conversations about her life in Argentina and her experiences
She was courteous and patient during a time that we were exceptionally busy with work, which we really appreciated.
We enjoyed interesting mealtime conversations with Ida Marie, and also had fun spending time with her away from the house, such as the day we went to the mountains, rushing ahead of the
The first conclusion is that 2 weeks isn't enough.
They are such rewarding, inspiring and intelligent people.
They have a daily shedule from monday-friday and Tia helps you trough the first week. The following time you always knows what to do and then it feels like home. In your
He attended to all his tasks with care and took pains to finish things well, which we deeply appreciated, but he also knew how to
They are both very warm and open people who shared so much with me. I was happy to help them renovating some rooms and doing gardening work.
Tia made such healty and delicious food for us! And I loved joining them for yoga every morning. I had many opportunities to take a bike
The work is well structured and easy to follow. If you have specific skills you will be given work to suit it. If
She is a brilliant cook, putting creativity and love into her food. She enhanced our normal healthy meals, which are pretty tasty
The location is beautiful, as is the house and Tia and Eyal, who were excellent company. We had some great conversations, good food, wind down dvd evenings. I was looked after very well (including treated to a lovely
Workwise, they were willing
As guests, they were courteous, responsive and helpful. They happily ate unfamiliar foods, tried yoga for the first time and came
Eyal and Tia have beautiful
They were excellent company at mealtimes - both deep
We so much enjoyed your company, as well as appreciating your skills in yoga and graphic design and the variety of other things you were able to do for us. Your calm demeanour and courteous, sensitive, willing approach made it easy to live with you. Your joy and creativity were