261 “me gusta”
My name is Wisnu. I am 48 years old. I am a lecturer at one of the universities in Sumatra Indonesia. I have currently been establishing an English and Arabic Learning Center - Indonesia with my wife Rosa, and our two children in my 15 hectares of land in my home village Sumatra Indonesia. We are open-minded persons. We help local people by teaching them English and Arabic. We also promote sustainable living and environmental awareness to them to prevent deforestation because the extent of the old-growth forest in Sumatra shrank by 40 percent over the past 20 years, but our green campus is still surrounded by a beautiful forest area that is home to lots of birds and wildlife. We want our Green Camp to give the human being a space to develop its mind, body, and soul by getting in touch with nature.
To support this project, through workaway organizations I invite outdoorsy adventurous volunteers from around the world who have creative ideas in teaching English or Arabic and are ready to help us to develop this green project. I have built 3 fish farms and a wooden house (where volunteers sleep) and have a generator for electricity. I am planting some fruit trees surrounding my property which will feed the wild animals. I am currently paying for this out of pocket and I need donations to build so much more to get this language center up and running.
For your information, Sumatra is one of the largest islands in entire Indonesia. But it is often less-visited by tourists compared to Bali and Lombok. Sumatra offers a completely different side of this vast and amazing island. Some areas are still covered by gorgeous primary rain forests that Sumatran tigers, elephants, and orangutans still call home. When we talk about the unique culture, Sumatra is promising circumstances. Wherever you choose to travel in Sumatra, you will find welcoming spots that allow you to immerse yourself in traditional Indonesian life and culture.
I dream of running this project for 2 very important reasons: 1) to create better opportunities for villagers to master English and Arabic for greater access to employment in the global community and 2) to prevent deforestation in Sumatra by giving understanding to local people to stop selling out the land to create palm oil plantations, which is harmful to the environment.
HOW TO GET TO MY HOME
If you come to Sumatra-Indonesia by airplane from Singapore, Malaysia, or some cities in Indonesia, please take a flight to International Airport Sultan Syarif Qasim II Pekanbaru Riau. My home is about 30 minutes from that airport by taxi. Before arriving at the airport, the volunteers can call me, and I will pick them up at the airport.
Práctica de idiomas
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Living with my family, you can get a new experience with the real local culture of Sumatran. Many things you can do while you are living with us such as teaching English in our community, learn how to cook Indonesian food, hang out with our students, meet local people, learn their habits and language, helping in building some school facilities, feeding fish in 3 fish farms and planting fruit trees surrounding the property which will feed the wild animals and keep them away from my garden.
En este proyecto podría haber niños. Para obtener más información, consulta nuestras directrices y consejos aquí.
We need humble and friendly volunteers who can speak English or Arabic well and help us in :
1. Motivating (training) students to speak English or Arabic at my course.
2. preparing the soil for planting
3. small, eco-friendly construction
4. maintaining and improving trails in the forest
5. making a video and take the beautiful photograph.
The volunteers will join my students and help them to learn English or Arabic by engaging in conversation and games with them. Asking questions and get to know local students and their culture through language. Students meet as a whole group and practice discussing speaking points, then break up into smaller classes. Join the opening activity and join a smaller class and share their skills to create a warmer conversation class.
Note: Because you are involved in teaching activities, you should bring one “appropriate clothes for formal activities”.
1. Maximum stay for volunteers in our place is only one week. The workawayers usually stay with us for only 5 or 6 days. After that, they visit other workaway hosts in some areas in Sumatra-Indonesia, and other workawayers stay in our place at the end of their traveling in Indonesia before flying to Malaysia or Singapore to leave my country.
2. Workawayers will be given a private room. The room is quite big which can accommodate two volunteers at the same time. If you are an unmarried couple, you are not allowed to stay in the same room, so one of you will have another private room. We are a Muslim family, it conflicts with our beliefs, and thanks for your understanding. I will provide free local food as long as you stay with us, Remember! Here you will be the center of attention because the villagers seldom see the foreigners, but the villagers are very friendly and generous. When you meet them, surely you will get a lot of offering to have coffee, tea, or traditional food to eat and free of charge.
Note: Please bring your toiletries and towel with you.
Before going to our Green Camp project, you will stay with us at our home in the town. During the town, You can follow me to my university to immerse yourself with my student's activities on my campus and you can go around to visit the beautiful park, museum, or public library.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
Este anfitrión ha indicado que le encanta acoger a nómadas digitales.
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week