200 “me gusta”
I am Sandrine, 40 years old, married and mother of two girls and one little boy.
Coming from western Cameroon I grew up in a francophone area but as Cameroon is a bilingual country I like talking in English whenever I can.
My favourite activity is engaging in humanitarian aid and that's why I created a non profit organisation in 2009. The organisation- Our mission is improving lives of the mentally ill people in Cameroon, and supporting their families and carers.
Our most pressing goals and projects are as follows:
- Running Cameroon's first mobile caravan event on 9-10 October 2022, to coincide with the World Mental Health Day.
- Raising awareness about mental health amongst Cameroonians, especially in rural zones.
- Fighting stigma and isolation, suffered by many mentally-ill Cameroonians.
- Raise awareness among families of the patient by explaining how to live with mentally ill people, talk about their rights (many women are abused and treated like they are not human. Some are separated from their children and can't see them again) as well as about their contribution to the improvement of the illness.
- Create a clothing and a pharmaceuticals bank for them (your donations would be very valuable for this point)
- Organize donation days of food, clothing etc for the needy (children and patients);
- Promoting mental health as essential to social development through by organising seminars in collaboration with professionals of the field of mental health;
- Meeting the challenge of African superstition experienced by patients by raising awareness for the fact that patients are not a pariah;
- Promote positive attitudes about mental health;
In addition, here are our longer term goals and the vision:
- Building a health care, rehabilitation and reintegration centre for mentally ill people in Cameroon, making mentally ill people earn money by working in reforestation
- Driving local research on mental diseases
- Empower psychology students to work as local therapists
- Promoting the integration of patients by participatory discussion groups between sick people, healed people and the patient's families
We need volunteers to strengthen and speed up the achievement of these goals. In particular, we are interested in hearing from potential Workawayers with the following skillset:
(1) Event planners or coordinators
(2) Programmers or coding enthusiasts to help take our website to the next level
(3) Logistics experts to support the Mobile Caravan event and beyond
(4) Clinical psychologists or psychiatrists (especially those willing to come and provide consultation on the ground in Cameroon)
Please ask for more details about our projects, our website and message me if you are curious to learn more . I would be happy to answer further questions or get your ideas on how we can achieve our vision and goals more effectively.
Trabajo de caridad
Práctica de idiomas
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Cuidado de niños y juegos creativos
Cocinar para toda la familia
Ayuda con ordenadores/Internet
You will really experience the Cameroonian culture by living together with me and my family in Yaoundé and take part in our everyday life. Learn to cook our meal, speak our mother tongue etc.
En este proyecto podría haber niños. Para obtener más información, consulta nuestras directrices y consejos aquí.
- Planning and delivering the Mobile Caravan Event in October 2022
- Setting up campaigning projects to raise social awareness
- Building collaborations with local Universities to drive research
- Assisting in data collection (needs and difficulties faced daily by the families of the sick, and the sicks themselves ) to target the needs and find appropriate solutions. We will visit patients in their home and out a directory of addresses of patients in need.
- Planning further steps on how to build a health care and rehabilitation centre for mentally ill people in Cameroon while implementing work in reforestation
- Setting up an emergency helpline for mentally ill people
- Organising seminars on mental health
- Helping to write a grant application
Este anfitrión ofrece intercambio de idiomas
Este anfitrión ha indicado que está interesado en compartir su idioma o aprender otro.
Ponte en contacto con él para obtener más información.
1 room in my house
You will be at the forefront of improving lives of the mentally-ill Cameroonians. You will have a direct impact on the work of my organisation. You will see the impact of your work on a daily basis.
You will experience a socio-cultural integration in a multi-ethnic environment and take part in the daily life of an ordinary Cameroonian citizen. You will discover our traditional recipes, music, dances etc. and by also sharing yours we will make your stay an experience of intercultural exchange.
I am open-minded, dynamic, always joyfull and very curious to get in touch with you.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
we will plan it with the volunteer (max 25 hours)
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil: