We are building a hostel within an amazing 13-hectare finca using permaculture design techniques. We plan to create a hub for activity, adventure, fun and education within a unique mountain-jungle paradise.
This is a project in an entirely unique location within the foot-hills of the Sierra Nevada, close to a neighbouring indigenous town Quebrada del Sol. We are fortunate enough to have a 2-hectare fruit forest and 700m of the Buritaca river running along the outskirts of the property, with rapids, rock pools, natural swimming pools, cliff jumps and a beautiful private beach. We are located in a valley with unique mirador views of the snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevada.
We are a team of 3 environmentally conscious and sociable brits, who have fled the London lifestyle to immerse ourselves in a different way of both living and thinking. We aim to make a lively hostel whilst providing a space to learn about sustainable ways of living.
For details around our progress so far feel free to visit our Instagram page, search hostellifepart1
Prática de idiomas
Ajuda em projetos ambientais
Projetos de construção/faça você mesmo
Cuidar de animais
Ajuda em fazenda
Criar/cozinhar refeições caseiras
On site there will be a team of Colombian builders, providing all volunteers the chance to converse with local Costeños… assuming you can understand the hardest Colombian dialect we've come across. We also plan to have volunteers from all over the globe so you’re not just stuck with brits, although I could think of worse things.
Colette has a PDC qualification where she accumulated a lot of knowledge around permaculture systems and sustainable design.
- We have used permaculture design principles to develop a design for the land but we are still in the early phases and our design and plans are constantly evolving, the more we learn about the land and from others. We are looking for volunteers who have experience in permaculture or agroforestry (ideally having completed a Permaculture Design Course) who are eager to put their skills in to practice, learn and share knowledge. As well as short term stays, we are interested in long term, where the person(s) will look to take significant control over the running of the garden and have plenty of time to implement ideas and see them through to completion. With 13 hectares to play with and the early nature of the project, this role has a lot of scope for creativity, experimentation and influence in the overall design. We are open-minded and always eager to learn from others about innovative and sustainable ways of doing things
- We have built a raised key hole vegetable garden and look for help in planting and maintaining the vegetables. Other jobs will include management of our 2-hectare fruit forest, general gardening and helping us plant trees from our nursery to support our reforestation target. We have signed up to a local reforestation scheme and will be working with the community to achieve our commitment to plant 1000 trees by mid 2021.
- We plan to renovate and extend the existing 7 bedroom house to accommodate a new kitchen. We are also building a river-side bar, storage rooms, a nursery (plants not children), shower block, compost loos and a water irrigation system. To reduce our environmental impact and make use of the abundance in the region, we will be building primarily with clay using our own brick press. We are looking for both skilled and non-skilled workers, especially those with experience building with clay. Skilled labourers must have previous experience working as a carpenter, electrician, plumber or general construction, whilst non-skilled will be working on ad-hoc projects such as painting, varnishing, and helping to make the earth bricks as mentioned above. However, this is all entirely dependent on what stage of the project we are currently at, so please speak with us beforehand.
- As all 3 of us plan to take a hands-on approach with the construction and the farm, we are looking for a couple or individuals happy to take charge of the kitchen. Your responsibilities will be to cook lunch and dinner (for other volunteers and us), wash the dishes and ensure the kitchen is kept clean. The rest of the time is yours! Until the kitchen is built this will be using a 2-ring gas hob or fire, progressing to a large industry sized kitchen once we are further into the build. We are looking for a competent cook who enjoys cooking vegetarian dishes.
Help with Eco Project
- We are 3 environmentally conscious individuals looking to build and live in a way that values and respects the resources available on the land whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are constantly exploring innovative ways to reduce and reuse our waste (and welcome any creativity). We are currently building compost toilets (as well as having an existing homemade compost toilet for use during the toilet construction), have a basic solar setup with a view to expand to a full solar farm in the future, as well as looking to generate gas through a bio-digester system. Experience in any of these are welcome, we always welcome new ideas around sustainability.
We are looking for people that speak Spanish to help with practice and ultimately improving our level. We are conversational in Spanish, however we understand that there are still lots of things to improve and given that we are in a remote location we want to surround ourselves with numerous opportunities for conversation.
Although we are in a remote location, fortunately there is an already existing 7 bed house on site, which we will therefore be utilising as accommodation through-out construction. We also have tents and hammocks that can be provided. The living spaces available are dependent upon the stage of construction as some of the rooms may be taken up by other workers; please ask us availability beforehand.
The facilities available to us will be limited at first (at least until completion of the shower/toilet block) however we have created our own Showers and Compost toilets to use in the meantime, which you are able to use in privacy.
We have set up a small solar system to start with which provides power for Wi-Fi and charging.
As above, we have a temporary kitchen with the options of cooking with fire or a gas-hob. All food will be provided free of charge to all volunteers. We also usually have plenty of beers available which you can buy for a small fee to help cover costs.
The land is filled with natural beauty with howler monkeys, aguillas, toucans and plenty of spots for walking, swimming and relaxing.
At weekends, we often visit the local town where we often play football, pool, and drink a few beers with the locals; we have a 4x4 which we often take (with a designated sober driver of course), and you would be welcome to come with us should we be going.
Given the current COVID-19 situation you will need to provide us with details of where you will be travelling from and places you may have been to before.
Current access to the land requires you to cross the Buritaca river by foot, however it is easy to cross, with the water usually coming to knee height.
Acesso à internet
Acesso à internet limitado
Pode hospedar famílias
Este anfitrião está aberto a aceitar viajantes com animais de estimação.
Mais de 2
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Essas classificações são opcionais e foram dadas junto com os comentários dos membros.A classificação média deixada por cada opção é exibida.
Precisão do perfil: