Cottage Build Spring/Summer 2022
- GARDEN, GREENHOUSE, & FOOD FOREST: We have a partially-underground 8x14 greenhouse that needs to be completed (insulation, thermal mass, shelving, planting). And our food forest needs some TLC and extension.
- RUNNING WATER: We sorta have running water. Sometimes. When it is above freezing. We will be upgrading our water supply so we have running water year-round.
- ROCKET MASS HEATER BUILD: Somehow we survived the past 2 winters with an incomplete heat source. We will rectify this by completing our rocket mass heater. We are 95% complete as of mid-November 2020 (enough to heat the house). We will now finish the remaining 5%.
- CONSTRUCTION: We will be finishing siding the barn, carpentry projects in the house and elsewhere,
- COB / EARTHEN PLASTER: We still have interior & exterior cobbing/earthen plaster to do
- OTHER PROJECTS: We still have numerous other projects around the homestead, including (but not limited to): extending our food forest (clearing forest, planting more trees and berry/nut bushes, general gardening), firewood acquisition, etc.
- OFF-GRID LIVING: Lots of daily chores including feeding goats, rabbits, & chickens, firewood, "normal" household chores like cooking & cleaning, etc.
Práctica de idiomas
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Proyectos de construcción y bricolaje
Cuidado de animales
Ayuda en una granja
Cocinar para toda la familia
Our family is constructing our home using natural building methods--timber framing, round wood framing, straw bale in-fill, cob, etc. Our off-grid homestead features sustainable living--solar power, passive solar home, greenhouse, food forest, hugelkulture, composting. Our lifestyle is sustainable by using locally-sourced building materials--trees, rocks, and clay from the build site, locally milled lumber, used windows and doors, used local slate for roofing. We encourage our volunteers to work with us in design and construction methods. We don't know everything, so we listen to the wealth of knowledge others have and implement solutions immediately.
General homestead tasks--daily chores, firewood acquisition, etc., etc.
Este anfitrión ofrece intercambio de idiomas
Este anfitrión ha indicado que está interesado en compartir su idioma o aprender otro.
Ponte en contacto con él para obtener más información.
We have a guest room that sleeps 2. We also have a loft for an adventurous person. Bedding provided.
We will provide meals. We have a privy as well as some composting toilets.
We HAVE RUNNING WATER NOW!!!
Internet and Wi-Fi!!
We have electric lights with switches! We have charging stations for devices, and a functioning inverter (so household power is available) too!
We are still in THE PROCESS of building our home, so along with the ruggedness of our home it is also a construction zone.
If this isn't your cup of tea, that's totally understandable. Check back in a few months to see where we're at.
We are in the heart of the Green Mountains with the Appalachian Trail and Long Trail only a few minutes away sporting Vermont's second highest Peak--Killington Peak. Our property is 31 acres of heavily forested hills with streams, boulders, and plenty of wildlife. Hiking and exploring are strongly recommended. Skiing, snowboarding & snowshoeing available. There is an abundance of streams, lakes, mountains, and hills nearby. Historic sites. Covered bridges. Farmers markets. Museums.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
We have both wired and wi-fi internet connections available. The guestroom is practically above the router so the connection is solid. The dining room table is rather large, near major light sources including huge windows, and also close to the router, so there's a really nice work space when it's not meal time.
We have a couple different parking locations both quiet and near potable water. Some solar access. More solar access can be had with some tree trimming (we want to turn that area into a meadow anyway).
We have a lab mix and a Great Pyrenees mix who are both very friendly. They get along well with most dogs. We now have a cat too, and he stays upstairs all the time.
Más de dos
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil: