Hello wonderful people!
We are a couple from Quebec, Canada. We left our beautiful country to open a hostel right on the beach in Las Tunas, Ecuador. The idea came in 2017 when we were coming back from a road trip. At first, it sounded crazy, but the more we talked about it, the more we wanted to do it. So we did! We worked hard at our jobs during the day and hard on the business plan for the hostel in the evenings. We came to Ecuador in 2018 to seek opportunities and luckily enough, we found the perfect place for our project! We sold everything we owned, quit our jobs and moved to Ecuador in September 2019. We set up the new place and finally opened our hostel in December 2019. As you all know, something called COVID arrived short after that (!) so we closed the hostel in March 2020. We were always optimistic though and did everything we could to keep the project alive. We re-opened in November 2020 and it's been going quite well since, yay!
The name of our hostel means ripples in Spanish. It puts forward the impact that we want to have in the community through our business. We want to create ripples by encouraging local guides and producers, as well as by getting involved in different social and environmental projects taking place in the village or in its area. As this aspect is a very important part of the experience at our hostel (for us, for the volunteers but also for the guests), starting December 2021, we will ask that all volunteers donate 1 hour of their own time every week (apart from the regular shifts) to one of the social or environmental projects that with do for the community at the time of their stay.
This is not a party hostel. We focus on chill, nice vibes. Our clientele is any backpacker who has good stories to tell. We are respectful and inclusive. We have large common areas, a space to do yoga, a common kitchen, chilling areas, and the beach is literally in our backyard. We also organize activities (beach games, dinner parties, board game nights, etc.) so the atmosphere is really fun :)
Trabajo de caridad
Práctica de idiomas
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Proyectos de construcción y bricolaje
Cocinar para toda la familia
Ayuda con ordenadores/Internet
Las Tunas is a chill village on the Ecuadorian coast. There is excellent surfing, a stunning beach (our backyard), the Machalilla National Park is right next door and we're close to other sights that you can go to by bus or taxi. You'll also be part of growing a new project with us, which is really rewarding and fun! Oh and also... We like to think we're quite friendly and we're looking forward to spending time with you!
This project is the result of the input of all the volunteers and guests that stayed with us since 2019. We welcome feedback and we want to work together to make this place more and more amazing over time.
SHIFTS: 8 HOURS PER DAY, 3 DAYS A WEEK.
- For daily operations such as cleaning the rooms and the common areas, helping around the hostel, repairing stuff if needed, reception, organizing events or activities, etc.
- If you have a special talent such as music, gardening, art, story telling, sports, etc., tell us about it please! We want to offer fun and different activities so special talents are sooooo welcome here.
ENGAGEMENT IN THE COMMUNITY (STARTING DECEMBER 2021): 1 HOUR PER WEEK
- We are working on quite a few projects to do with and for our community. Starting December 2021, we will ask you to donate 1 hour per week to one of those projects (or a new idea that you come up with) to help us have a positive impact in this wonderful community. It can go from beach clean-up initiatives to doing an art project with the kids to coordinating a recycling project, etc. The project will depend on what is going on when you are here with us.
IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR HELP AND ENGAGEMENT:
- A bed in a 4-bed dorm with private bathroom (room reserved to Workaways)
- Free breakfast
- Free use of our surfboards
- Staff deals on drinks at the bar
- Free access to the washer and dryer
- Access to the kitchen to cook your own meals
- Rides to Puerto Lopez by car if we have space when we go run some errands
A bed in a 4-bed dorm with private bathroom (room reserved to Workaways).
***IMPORTANT - Here are the indications on how to get here***
Take a bus to Las Tunas either from Manta, Santa Elena or any other town on the coast between those two cities (Puerto Lopez, Montañita, Olon, etc.). Tell the driver that you DO NOT want to get off "downtown" Las Tunas. You can tell him to drop you off at the playground/soccer field (cancha de fútbol) next to the following hostels: Azuluna, Viejamar, La Barquita. Once at the soccer field, walk to the only street you see towards the beach. Turn left on the street, walk 30 seconds and you're here!
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
Digital nomads are more than welcome. We have excellent wifi that works great everywhere on the property. The hostel is big and you can easily find a quiet spot to work. We have bean bags too, you'll feel like you work in a cool startup, except with a real beach background on your Zoom calls!
Más de dos
8 hours a day, 3 days a week + 1 hour for the community
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil: