We are Borja (Spanish), Luiza (Romanian), Sebi (8 years old) and Adrian (2 years old). After living in South America for almost 7 years; with the birth of our first son, Sebi, we decided to come back to Europe and put our roots closer to our extended family.
We bought this 5 ha pice of land in a really quiet valley and we have been developing it from the last 5 years. The years have passed and we are now a group of 4 families. We are the last houses of this (not very populated) valley and our more common visitors are wild pigs, birds and frogs.
We have some natural swimming pools in our "backyard" and great opportunities for trekking around. Aljezur is 3 kilometers away and 7 to the closest beach. Although there are many others around.
For the first few years of the project, we focused in rehabilitating our house and giving ourselves a place to live during the process. Plus clearing the land that was quite savage and off balance when we arrived. We finished this first step recently.
Now a new beautiful door have opened and we are turning our attention to the land. Our next step involve mainly landscaping, planting trees, building new simple structures and... clearing and balancing more areas of our land.
Ajuda em projetos ambientais
Projetos de construção/faça você mesmo
Ajuda em fazenda
I have always thought that learning involves doing. So in my opinion, you are in the right path to learn. Do. The only other thing that you will need (not necessary) is somebody to show you how. I suppose that as a workaway host this is our duty; share with other less experienced (or experienced in other fields) people the knowledge for their doings.
And that is what we would like to share with you, our know-how. Even the one that you won´t be using while staying with us. We would be happy and lucky to sit down with you and chat about the many things that we have learnt while developing this project.
And if you are a really experienced person, more than us; even better. We will learn from you.
Este projeto pode envolver crianças. Para mais informações, veja aqui nossas diretrizes e dicas.
As you can see in the accommodation section, right now our volunteer area is really basic. So the first volunteers arriving will be mainly focusing in arranging, organizing and creating new facilities for this area.
We have to built:
- Compost toilet (done)
- Shadowed dry area (done)
We are always looking for skillful people like carpenters, natural builders, landscapers or tree surgeons. There are many interesting projects if you have experience in these areas. We are flexible people and we would like to work through this kind of projects together with you.
If you do not have any of these skills, it is ok. There are lots of things to do around and we will be happy to host you.
Some examples for this second group:
- Clearing land (lots of these)
- Maintenance of the land that have been already cleared
- Tree planting
- Hide all our water system tubing
- Choping and gathering firewood
- Start a garden (this goes after clearing)
- Asisting in building dry stone walls
And many other little things that I am surely forgetting.
We will only have one set of volunteers (meaning only one single person or couple or family) at a time. We believe that exchange is easier, cleaner and healthier in a one to one relationship. Plus we do not have any extra livable space to offer.
Understand that we are a family with two kids. It is important for us that any person arriving to our land is a good example for them. Please take this into account when asking to volunteering with us.
Apart from that we will be looking for enthusiastic and happy people willing to honestly work and share time, learnings and experiences with us.
We offer a clean and nice caravan.
Right now we can only offer:
- two beds, one double and one single
- an outside sofa
- Little solar sistem, enought for lights, phone and computer
- Dish washing
As we explain in the help requested section, our intention is to build with you some extra facilities so that other volunteer stays will be more comfortable.
The caravan is located in an area not far away from the main house, but really private. You wont be seen, if you dont want to. We do not have wifi in the caravan, only in the main house. However phone signal is not bad around the caravan.
Luiza is vegetarian. So we will normally cook vegetarian meals. We have a little organic garden and the rest of the food we will buy it from local producers in the weekly food market.
- Climate: Aljezur has a nice and warm weather during all the year. Temperatures during a normal day will go from 17-20 C in January to 27-29 C in July. During summer it is really strange that we get any rain. In Autumn, Winter and Spring is usual to have 5-10 rainy days a month (and many sun). Nights in winter can be cold though.
- Time off: There are several beaches around, good for surf, that are normally deserted. Around the property there are good trekking opportunities and natural swimming pools 1 km away. Aljezur, that is a nice little town, is 3 km away. We will be happy to take you with us to the local/ regional events.
- Transportation: To get the most about staying with us, it is better to have a car. This will give you the freedom to come and go as you want. The closest beach is 7 km away and Aljezur 3. If you are not traveling with one, we will be going to Aljezur at least once every two days. We as well have a bicycle that you can borrow. Or you can get a lift from a not very busy road which is 10 minutes walking from our property.
- Friends and activities: The valley where we are living in is a really special place. There are many families in our 30's-40's that are living ethically with nature and practicing permaculture.
Acesso à internet
Acesso à internet limitado
Pode hospedar famílias
Only old campervans. We have a difficult access and medium to big motorhomes will have problems in getting to our place. We have to cross a river to get to our place, plus we have 600 meters of unpaved road.
Mais de 2
We are flexible and have options with food and without food (15 hours or max 25 hours)