20/07/2019 - 25/08/2020
July 2019 till September 2020 => Year-of-the-Sun: biking, camping and volunteering in the East and South of Europe.
Starting the 1th of July => Germany - Poland - Tsjechië - Slovakia - Hungarian - Romania - Bulgaria - Greece - Italia - Spain - Portugal - France.
Changings due to Corona :
-volunteering in Belgium till the 15th of June = when it is allowed for me, to cross the border again.
-by now I stay and volunteer for co-housing Het Abtshof, Borlo, Belgium.
-biking, camping, volunteering in Germany ( visiting my son in Berlin)
-renting appatment again in the center of Ghent, Belgium = moving furniture from basement to apartment Zebrastraat, De Cirk.
(Restart my payed job the 1th of September)
- traveling by bike/foot through The Netherlands and the south of Denmark: August from second week onwards. Or Workaway and visiting friends and family to meet and volunteer for, in Belgium.
This is a rough plan. Changes can be made based on Corona-safety-rules, your replies etc.
SEE TEXT BELOW 'What else'.
Useful skills for volunteering (abroad):
° Painting & Decorating (certificated).
Also sketch and paint (decorative) murals and small designs (I like to be involved in Artistic Projects)
(Self-employed designer/draftsman during 10 years)
° Experienced in hand weaving and -tufting.
° Party make-up for children.
° (Active) Home-sitting & Animal-sitting.
° My all-round skills are okay (See the pics volunteering for Mountain Bothies)
° I have a drivers licence (with me).
Long term- volunteering in Belgium:
- Training-actor for GP's in training.
- Neighborhood mediator in my hometown
- Co-operator integration-course.
Teacher/mentor young newcomers.
One of my favorite skills: using things in unexpected ways.
(Also see:type of help)
Belgian (Lived 10 years just over the border, in The Netherlands)
Do me a PAINTING AND/OR DECORATING proposal and I'll tell you if it's in my interest and competence.
DO NOT WRITE ME if you have NO tasks for a painter/decorater!
Why am I so strict in this?
1. I combine Workaway with covering distances on a bicycle. Staying in a family for 3 weeks is therefore to long: 7, 10 or 14 days is more realistic for my way of traveling. So, because of my rather short stay, it must be clear from the beginning what type of work I can do ... and painting and decorating I can .... If it is work indoors, even during cold and/ or rainy days.
2. I have very good experiences with working in this way. When I was a fresh Workawayer I needed to search for hosts. In this way I could direct the search in the direction of painting and decorating. Look at the feedback and you will see people were happy :-) and I was happy too.
Before my actual travels started the situation changed: potential hosts started asking me to come to work. Great ... I tought. But also: 'why exactely do those people want ME to work for them?' By now I have had 2 Workaway-experiences in the east of Europe I left with relief. So I will go back to the situation in with I know WHy people want me to stay at their property ( because they are in need of a painter/decorater).
It's also my experiences that when the relationship concerning the work to be done, is fine, it's easier to get a nicer relationship in general. Inportant when you just stay for 7, 10 or 14 days!
This is a link to an article, describing my good deed for the year 2020, during my actual travels, on Sicily:
This is a link to an article, made by a journalist, during my last summer-holidays:
And this was made during my Nordic Trail:
Permiso de conducir