Desde: Estados Unidos
09/12/2019 - 16/09/2020
** March 2021 Update** I'm headed to Rhode Island for a few months to do seasonal farm work. I'm open to meeting up with travelers and hosts in the area to make friends and help with my housing search. Let's talk!**
Hello! My name is Karlene and I am from Buffalo, NY, USA. I'm taking a gap year from work and am looking to spend time in different places in the US & Europe.
I'm a thoughtful, considerate, hard-working, helpful person that enjoys deep conversations about life and personal growth. I've travelled many places in the world and enjoy meeting new people and learning about different cultures :)
- Hosting, hospitality, customer service
- Gardening/ work with plants (houseplants, flowers, and vegetable gardens)
- Landscaping/general yard maintenance, weeding, weed whacking
- Baking & gluten-free baking
- Drawing/ painting/photography
- Singing/ song circles in the oral tradition
- Life long learner!
- I don't have formal training/skills in building or construction, but I would love to learn! Would especially enjoy learning to use tools and working with wood.
My formal college studies focused on social work & religion. I have a Bachelor's degree in Social Work and have been working in the affordable housing sector as a case manager and legal advocate for the elderly. I get along well with a wide range of people because of my time spent living in intentional communities and working with a diverse clientele. My most recent position was as a paralegal, but I left my job in July 2019 to travel for a bit and reflect on my life's direction and next steps.
Swahili (Kiswahili): Principiante
I've traveled to many places in the world (most time spent in Tanzania, Spain, Portugal). I enjoy meeting people from other countries and learning about their cultures.
I love arts & crafts ( knitting, drawing, painting) and working with plants... even weeding!
I enjoy being active and spending time outdoors hiking, walking, and jogging.
Passionate about health foods, flowers, and community development
Some knowledge/skills I am interested in exploring:
- Mural and street art painting**
- Cut flower farming**
- Fabric, yarn, and paper dying with natural materials, ecodyeing
- Building, construction, work with tools
- Carpentry, wood working
- Your way of life, culture, and recipes :)
Permiso de conducir
Gluten free and dairy free but won't die of cross-contamination.