Camboya, Indonesia, Laos, Malasia, Tailandia, Vietnam
14/01/2019 - 24/03/2019
*️️️*️️️*️️️ Update: Currently back in Norway for work *️️️*️️️*️️️
It’s time to see the Workaway experience from the other end of the table!
I have been renting an apartment on a farm in Norway for five years, where the owner is a Workaway host. During these years I’ve seen from the inside what makes Workaway great, what makes it work and what doesn’t. I’ve met many travellers from all over the world, all with their different stories and experiences. I got to see first hand what it takes from both parts to have a successful exchange through Workaway, not just in terms of work for accommodation but also in terms of sharing knowlegde, insights, culture, language, music and usually a lot of laughter too!
Thanks to living in with a Workaway host I have met people from all over of the world.
All these positive experiences made me want to be a volunteer on Workaway as well. The obvious advantage here is that I have a pretty good idea of what a host expects from the volunteers!
My plan is to combine a round-the-world trip on a motorcycle with volunteering at Workaway hosts around the globe. I started my journey in februari 2017, heading for the south of Europe first. Italy in spring, Greece and the balkan countries in summer, the alps in late summer and Spain and Portugal in winter.
Who am I?
- 34 years young, originally from the Netherlands, living in Norway since 2010
- Bachelors Degree in cognitive psychology
- Certified TEFL teacher (Teaching English as a Foreign Language)
- Passionate photographer
- Fluent in Dutch, English and Norwegian (--> and therefore perfect understanding of Danish & Swedish)
- Very good level of Italian, Spanish and French. Good understanding of German.
- I am a social guy who likes to be part of a team
- I like outdoor activities, such as skiing, hiking, cycling, paragliding and of course riding my motorcycle
- If you like a good game of chess then I’m your man :-) Same goes for good conversation and good wine
- Non smoker. But I used to be one, and I don’t mind people who smoke.
- Omnivorous, I have no dietary requirements, allergies or special needs. Please bear in mind that I do have a 34-year-old-male-appetite ;-)
- I play the piano, if you have a piano that would be a huge plus!
- I will be arriving on my motorcycle, so I have my own transport.
What can I do?
- Physically fit, I like to be engaged in physical work and I’m not afraid of lifting heavy!
- Technical theoretical background, meaning I understand machines and I know (or quickly learn) how to operate them.
- I have been driving various types of trucks and busses over the last seven years, I have a driving license for everything, from motorcycle to articulated lorry, and I have experience with various machines like forklifts, tractors and quads.
- I also have been a private VIP driver in the Netherlands. So if you have anything with wheels, I’ll be more then happy to operate it!
- If you have a website or for any other reason would like to have (better) photos of something than I can help you with that.
- I can teach English
- I can work with guests and tourists. My parents have run a bed & breakfast in the south of France (near Foix, Ariège) for five years and I have worked in a hotel as a night receptionist so I have experience with dealing with guests and tourists. Also while working as a tourbus driver I was hosting groups of tourists, sometimes for 10 days in a row. Speaking half a dozen languages obviously helps here!
- I love animals and working with animals. I have some experience with horse riding.
- Painting and other basic carpentry skills. Furthermore, if there’s anything that I can’t do now, I can probably learn it. And I’m eager to do so.
- Good computer skills. If you want to learn more about using LightRoom or Photoshop I can help you with that
- I can help you with language practice in many of the above mentioned languages.
- Hopefully this list will grow as I work my way around the globe with Workaway!
Update June 2017: I now know how to milk a goat :-)
What am I looking for?
- I am a team player and a social person, so I’m looking for a place where there are several volunteers at work, or where there’s contact with guests and other people. If I’m the only volunteer, then I’m looking for a place where there is plenty of social interaction with the host(s).
- Looking for a cultural exchange in the broadest sense, in terms of traditions, foods and anything that might be of interest.
- Looking to discover new lands, sights, smells, cities, architecture and history
- Learning new languages
- Learning about sustainable farming
- If you have an instrument other than a piano then I would love to learn how to play it!
- I like to teach. Whether that’s languages, music or other skills, I believe in sharing knowledge!
Lastly I would like to borrow a line from the Workaway description from my former landlady, which is: “Please keep in mind that this should be a win-win situation”
Looking forward to hearing from you!
See "What can I do" above :-)
Permiso de conducir