***We are currently looking for 1-2 helpers between May-July 2022. Please contact us if you're interested and are fully vaccinated (we have a newborn baby) thank you***
We are a couple who lives near Whitehorse, Yukon with our dog, cat and chickens. We are starting our small farm on a 15 acre property overlooking the Takhini River Valley. Our goal is to offer free-range turkeys and eggs to our community, within a 200-km radius of our farm. We are looking for help building, installing a fence, painting, etc. and to look after our animals and garden while we are away. We are starting from scratch so there's lots to do!
Proyectos de construcción y bricolaje
Cuidado de animales
Ayuda en una granja
- Learn about chicken keeping, farming in cold climates, how to start a farm from scratch, etc.
- Get a glimpse of the local life in the North
- Get tons of local advice for your travels in Yukon/Alaska/Canada
We are Emilie and Tyler. We are starting our small farm by the Takhini River, about 30 min. outside of Whitehorse.
We are looking for about 4 hours of work/day in exchange for accomodation.
We are starting a small farm from scratch so there is LOTS to do!
- Installing a fence around our 3-acre field
- Building an outhouse for our guests accomodation
- Building a chicken coop (we want to increase our flock from 10 to 40 birds next year)
- Building a pig shelter + enclosure using recycled materials
- Maintaining the garden and looking after our animals (a dog, a cat, 9 chickens and 5 pigs), when we are away
- Other: If you have any special interest or talent, please let us know.
The work shouldn't exceed 4 hours/day. Most of the work is done outside, so you will need proper clothing. The schedule can be somewhat flexible; you can work either in the morning or in the afternoon. Or we can do a full day one day and day off the next day (depending on the work/weather). We are flexible but hard-working and reliable and are looking for people who are the same.
Our dog Meeko is a rescue dog who is very affectionate with us humans, but he is a reactive dog and doesn't like other dogs. For this reason, we can't accomodate families with yound kids or people traveling with their own pets.
We are looking for someone :
- honest and reliable
- active and healthy: you need to be OK with being in bear country, dealing with the elements, chopping your wood, starting a fire, etc.
- with a good sense of initiative, self-reliance and good judgement.
- who will take all Covid precautions seriously, including being fully vaccinated before their trip. We have a newborn baby therefore we don't want to take any risks.
- most importantly : with a nice positive attitude!
You will need your own vehicle as there is no transit to where we live. We live in a rural area with not much traffic (it would be very difficult to rely on carpooling) but you are welcome to hitch a ride with us when we go to town. We don't go everyday though, and when we are away you will need your own mode of transportation.
You will have your own private off-the-grid accomodation (no electricity/running water/Internet) in either a Mongolian yurt or a prospector tent. Blue jugs system for water. Lots of privacy and beautiful views from our property. Nice hiking / biking trails nearby. Public showers downtown or at the gas station.
Cooking: Given how busy we are with our little baby, we would prefer if you cooked your own meals. Propane stove available for cooking.
In your time off, you can explore the local trails, go paddling (we have a canoe you can use) or whatever floats your boat!
There's lots of hiking, paddling, moutain biking, etc. under the midnight sun! (Lots of trails by the house including the TransCanada Trail).
Whitehorse is a fun town with lots of tourist attractions, a few micro-breweries, interesting museums and mountains all around. It is the perfect basecamp for anyone who likes the outdoors.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
There is room to park campervans/motorhomes but no service provided - you need to be self-sufficient with water and power.
4 hours a day, 5 days a week