Enregistré comme favori 1858 fois
** Please note **
- now accepting 2-3 volunteers for October & November!
- 4 weeks absolute minimum! Please no requests for less than that.
- Absolutely no need for long messages ;) We are open to accept people of all backgrounds, however, you should be passionate about working with animals (otherwise you won't be happy here).
- Which is why the only 2 things we'll want to know about you are: 1) What's your experience with dogs/cats? 2) On which date would you like to come?
- Please read through our profile carefully. Thank you :)
Have you ever heard of a rescue place where the dogs get to run free in the jungle instead of being walked on leashes? Welcome to this special place on tropical Koh Samui.
This sanctuary, located in the more remote and quiet south of Koh Samui, provides a safe home for around 65 dogs & 30 cats and is run by Francoise. She has lived on Koh Samui for many years, dedicating her life to helping animals in need and giving them a loving home. The sanctuary is in a jungle setting and has no direct neighbours; therefore, the dogs can be walked in packs without the worry of disturbing others. The whole sanctuary relies solely on kind donors and Workawayers like you.
// Update Corona
For updates and visa related questions please refer to your local Thai embassy or several Facebook groups.
Bricolage et projets de construction
S’occuper des animaux
Cuisine/repas pour la famille
Aide à la maison
Aide informatique / avec Internet
Helping out at the sanctuary is very rewarding, but can be challenging both physically and mentally. To have a great time here and learn as much as possible, you need to be an animal, but especially dog lover!!
MUST READ BEFORE COMING HERE
This is not to scare anyone off, but to just give an important input as to what to expect. Your commitment is important: short-notice cancellations & people that are leaving earlier than planned are putting Francoise, but especially the animals, in a very hard position.
* There is a lot of cleaning involved. Every single day. Sweeping, mopping, doing the dishes, cleaning dog poo, raking and lots more. Basically all of the work, except the cuddling, is physical work.
* A specific daily routine followed by Workawayers is especially important for any place with a high amount of animals.
* Lots of names and things to learn, barking dogs, the heat - the first days can be overwhelming, that is totally normal. Try to stay attentive and ask questions, you will see that within only a week it will be so much easier already.
* Please keep in mind that this is a sanctuary, which focuses on providing animals a safe home for the rest of their lives – those who have had a tough life before coming here. There is a high turnover of animals. Adoptions to good homes are welcome though, of course.
* Arrive in clothes ready to get dirty!!
* Freshly cooked food is provided for our dogs which consists of rice, fish and meat. If you're a vegan, please beware :)
* If you plan on just coming for volunteering, consider some days before and/or after for traveling/sightseeing only, so you won’t have to change dates once you are here! Also, if you fly directly from f.e. Europe or the US, you might need some resting time before starting.
* There is no Wifi, but cheap SIM cards incl. internet data can be bought at many different places.
* Even though the sanctuary is located away from the touristy places, prices (f.e. international restaurants, taxis) may be higher than in other parts of Thailand.
* You should not be scared to drive a scooter/motorbike, so you can easily get to/from the sanctuary and discover the island during your free time. You can rent them in the area & in Lamai. Any other transportation will be expensive. Fyi - a license from your home country is required for your insurance to cover an accident/hospitalisation.
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
The sanctuary needs people who are committed to the cause. Even in their free time. You should be here for the animals - not to nurture your ego, seek free accommodation or meet lots of people. You should be a team player that is easy-going, self-motivated, with common sense - time usually doesn't allow Francoise to give lots of feedback, as she's busy with the animals! If any of the above is not the case, Workawayers might be asked to leave.
GENERAL VOLUNTEER TASKS
Depending on the morning or afternoon shift, these are some of the tasks:
* General cleaning tasks like f.e. sweeping/mopping/tidying up the areas, washing laundry, dishes and bowls and of course poo scooping
* The dogs are provided with fresh food (incl. fish & meat), which means cooking every second day
* Feeding & walking the dogs in different groups, no leashes involved - they get to run completely free in the jungle!
* Socializing with both cats & dogs
* Monitoring the health of our dogs and cats, incl. bathing dogs with skin problems & giving necessary meds to them
* Helping with the groceries for the animals approximately every 2-3 weeks
* You might be asked to do other tasks if necessary, like Social Media, little repairs, gardening etc.
When messaging us, please put: Workexchange sanctuary + your preferred starting month as a subject, so we know you read through the important information above :) English is preferred as former volunteers help with the messages!
Wooden Thai style accommodation, simple and not luxurious. Surrounded by the jungle, in a Thai neighbourhood - being part of their community (no partying). Everything is quite open. Mosquito nets are usually provided, but you should not be afraid of insects. Within walking/driving distance to the sanctuary and local beach. No air-con, just fans. Mattresses are hard, which is common in Asia. Cats might be staying with you - not good for anyone with allergies :)
You'll be having a great time with all the animals and humans, in addition to living on beautiful Koh Samui, experiencing Thai culture and food at its best. It is an exciting island that has a lot to offer: waterfalls, yoga retreats, Muay Thai and fitness gyms, late night markets, Thai cooking classes, kite boarding schools, snorkelling trips and boat trips.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Plus de 2
15 hours/week, 2 days off
Ce sont des évaluations supplémentaires en option lorsque les membres laissent un feedback. La note moyenne pour chaque option est affichée.
Exactitude du profil: