Enregistré comme favori 292 fois
Hello travellers already in Australia . .
- - - -
We are now in late September re-opened to volunteers, one couple or person at a time. Due to Covid situation, our place will be your official "residence" , so longer stays of 3+ weeks are ideal . A week to see if it works out for both.
Since Workaway will be block all web links, please write out any references in full, inside an online profile , or ask your previous hosts to write Hosts reviews in here
Our location is very safe, no outbreak of the new virus. Still a lush part of S.E.Australia.
Hello Yogis, budding Permies, climate emergency entrepreneurs
I am Dominic. I manage an increasingly exceptional urban space in an idyllic coast town where residents are:
- Myself, 30 years experience in design for sustainable living, organic horticulture, traditional and adapted Yoga, and more recently - Carbon capture and climate change adaption
- a co-cared neighbouring teenage boy (now prefers socialising with his new highschool ppl )
- a Melbourne family of four. Co-owners staying once a month, having a break from city life and doing electrical improvements.
- A gazillion diverse lifeforms , both wild and 'installed'
The focus of this place is : Sustainable Living & Yoga - "healthy landscapes with healthy people, who make healthy communities , [and make humour and artsy-crafty things] "
We are especially inviting those who have or wish to have, a daily pre-breakfast walk / cycle / yoga practice / beach swim
We host both volunteers and holiday makers at our highly rated coastal micro-retreat on the edge of our town, near beaches, beach lakes, a huge estuary, bluffs, National Parks, and more.
Volunteers help myself to maintain the site / the house. A daily rhythm has: morning stroll-cycle to beach, some yoga practices (encouraged) 'brekky', harvesting, cleaning. Then project time.
Projects are numerous: (several at a time due to seeking materials and help. Typically : making improvements to a spare room / improving shelter for poultry , bees, or humans; up-cycling found materials furniture / in filling in food forest; refurbish veggie space; Tiling/Painting; always some carpentry and the odd 'Dom-creting' ; tree work: growing/ identifying seedlings, reshaping, re-planting;
- Specialised help: review/upgrade evolving online presence (image & video wrangling).
The ability and confidence to drive a vehicle in Australia is very desirable - approx. one trip per week or so with host of you wish.
- Your kitchen skills highly valued - we build meals around what's seasonally available from our gardens and local items (or stored here from previous season) .
- Typical sized urban allotment / buildings. Two groups of owners - myself (resident-manager )+ a Melbourne based family .
- Various types of people come to our place. One type is city people getting away from city life (usually Melbourne based) - these customers hire our East Wing to stay in for a holiday. Another type is volunteers (like you ) usually from exchange places like WorkAway, usually wishing to gain some insights and skills on living within Earth' limits, in a lush, healthy place; close to beaches and lakes, town CBD and all types of Parks.
- Arrival. The hardest parts for us hosts dealing with travellers from afar are: Workaway travellers can change their mind with short notice, making it hard for hosts. We wish that you would be able to commit 95% to your arrival in same week as agreed - Thanks :-)
> We have paying holiday customers that stay - usually school holidays/weekends.
> The other owners (beside myself) stay at the house once each two months.
We can fit one couple or one person. . Couple is easier for hosts , but a single person can definitely work out if they are open minded about how to do things (not set in their ways) - there are many ways to 'cook an egg ' and its good to experience several ways
Our place deals with sustainable living (low ecological footprint, high community engagement) in a hands-on way for owners and volunteers like you, or in an immersive learning way (customer holiday-makers). We are lucky to be in the premier coast holiday town in the South Gippsland Coast, two hours South East from central Melbourne. We are on at the junction of an estuary (huge lake) and the ocean with various beaches and water activities.
You can gain practical insights into ecological design, adaptive carpentry, permaculture design, yoga practices and more. There may be some customer accommodation tasks (room keeping).
The main thing is that as a volunteers you can avoid seeking paid work for same time period that you wish to be a volunteer at our place . This avoids disappointments on both sides :-)
These UN SDG's are of close relevance - 3, 5, 11, 12, 13.
A new project is emerging - looking for dedicated participant(s):
Urban Carbon Capture and Storage (Home based Sequestration)
> Low cost measurement of Carbon retention at urban house blocks.
> Urban plants and in situ Carbon capture - using low-oxygen charring (pyrolysis); creation and protection of high value timber products; and other researched possibilities.
Seeking couples but singles are fine in cooler months.
Fun stuff: learn to bodysurf / surf with surfboards and wetsuits; Try beach golf, bocce, beach forest meditation. National Parks. State Reserves. Snorkel (byo gear) walks and wildlife sunset chasing. Outdoor fireplace cookups.
Helping on: finishing new shelter; finish small side room; making creative gates; tiling (wall / floor ceramic tiles); improvements in gardens.
General stuff we do: harvesting/preparing for planting/planting, managing grass / trees in lush food forest, painting / oiling (protect timbers). We teach/demonstate skills for sustaining people, wildlife and pets - at home/small business /street community
Usually, you will have a small double bed, large desk, in a room of your own, plus opportunities for:
yoga sessions with Dom or other instructors, including Kirtan (singing yoga), surfing / beach swims / tennis (good weather!) , local walk / cycle to views, aboriginal history walk. - using Dom's home Library
Food we eat is mostly vegetarian (90%) with lots of home-grown and Organic foods.
- Thanks for reading - please see the facebook page and ask us for other pages to get more insights - many reviews, many pictures.
- Comm's: i use Signal, mobile phone, email. (Trust in facebook software / company is v. low ... i avoid Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram )
manager - resident - educator
Pratique d’une langue
Aide avec des éco-projets
Bricolage et projets de construction
S’occuper des animaux
Baby-sitting et jeux créatifs
Cuisine/repas pour la famille
Aide à la maison
Aide informatique / avec Internet
You can gain experience and insights into ecological design, carpentry, permaculture design and management, bee management, fowl management, organic horticulture, many yoga practices, English language, Australian vernacular, and more.
You are very welcome to join Dom (me) on weekly trips to 'singing yoga' (Kirtan) .
Other fun stuff: Swim in many different spots around here with or without waves. Observe large Rays (massive fish) at Jetty. Learn to surf (access to surf gear). Beach golf/beach forest meditation. Outdoor Bowls and beer (warm season).
If weather is no good: use Dom's mini-home library on sustainable/conscious/adaptive living ; Try cooking with some local ingredients; Mend things with our sewing gear and other tools; Use the spacious wifi town library with surfboards - next to art gallery and tourist help centre.
Ideally you would have some skills in building, or using electric tools, or using gardening tools .
- you are not strict vegan or have multiple food intolerances or are fasting more than two days in a row.
- You have already arrived in Australia or New Zealand (Aoteroa) unless you have been in Australia before, and settled in at least for three weeks
- Understand the purpose of these volunteer programs and volunteering generally
- Have experience driving a vehicle (over 25 yeas old is ideal)
- You have learning goals - you know what you need to learn
- Have a full profile of your own including photos; provide two verbal or written references, of some kind (even web reviews)
- Can commit to staying two weeks or more. This is for your benefit as well as ours - it takes time to learn routines / skills / tools and 'discover Nature' in our area, and unwind from any previous city living.
Cet hôte propose un échange linguistique
Cet hôte a indiqué qu’il souhaitait faire partager sa propre langue ou en apprendre une nouvelle.
Contactez-le pour en savoir plus.
A private bedroom with a single or double bed and a desk with view to our urban gardens. . Good natural light plus two other lights. Clothes hanging space (shoe-free indoors) Lots of spare clothes /shoes / jackets (cool winds) . A cosy lounge with fire . . Excellent Telstra and Optus signals.
- If you prefer to use your camper-van, there are tent spaces / parking spaces.
Our place deals with sustainable living (home as production emphasis rather than consumption emphasis, low ecological 'footprint', high community engagement ) in a hands on way for owners and volunteers like you ( or as immersive education for holidaymaker customers - not many now because of Covid shutdown).
We are lucky to be located in a premier coast holiday town in the South Gippsland Coast, two hours South East from central Melbourne. We are on at the junction of a multi lake estuary and the ocean (Bass Straight) - lots of possible beach and water activities.
Working on now: finishing making new outdoor spaces , creative gates, and door handles from wood; tiling; bee house assembly and test, poultry improvements; tree grafting (mostly in Sept and January)
Opportunity for yoga sessions with Dom or another instructor , including Kirtan (singing yoga), Close access to surfing/beach swims, cycling, aboriginal history, weekend markets .
Further out - two nearby National Parks.
- Food we eat is mostly vegetarian (95%) with lots of home-grown and organic foods. One person will do breakfast prep., one for lunch, one for dinner, unless one person loves to focus on food making - then 'go for it' - This group food prep. (and cleaning) is deff. part of the 4 - 5 hours of daily time as volunteers . We can work out a schedule that suits us both.
- We choose our own/local produce to eat firstly - looking at what needs to be eaten/ stored from gardens . Local and organic foods from shops are also used. Get creative, learn new ingredients incl. Australian native foods !
• 10 days min mum. Two days to roam or chill; four days helping (or a project) for six hours per day. meal making is a big help and usually a treat with our fresh vegies , fruits of the season, and usually some preserves.
- Free days usually Thursday Fri Sat (this sidesteps the weekend tourist crowds and allows for a yoga class or two)
- - - - - -
These UN SDG's are of close relevance: 3, 5, 11, 12, 13. Describing the ways we are contributing to these goals (with diagrams) could be a project for a suitable volunteer. (Note: we do not agree with the UN's growth-based assumptions . GDP oriented 'growth economics' is not supported by evidence for being sustainable regards sustaining of biota, nor climate stability, nor longevity of finite resources (minerals, soils).
- - - - - -
You are welcome to come on the occasional trip taken to 'music yoga' with Indian food usually with friends - if needed i can usually arrange overnite accommodation for these trips.
• We try to keep internet usage to essentials at the house - so much beauty, beach so close . .
• Simple/short use (check email, book tickets) you can use the 4G WiFi our small house WiFi hub,
• Town Library - good WiFi at nearby spacious comfy , 5 and 1/2 days per week) > free surfboard hire, special Australian books, free live movie streaming, DVDs, colour printer, decent desktop computers, and desk areas .
- cafes - with great local made coffee / cake / Italian icesreams in our town.
Longer stays are welcomed after a three day trial.
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️Advice for travellers who have never been to Australia / NZ : Working English can be a challenge to learn - so, before working/volunteering it is best you become a 'tourist' in Australia for at least two weeks to improve your communication skills , and sort your 'paper work' out - Bank Account / Tax / etc) *️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️
- Note : 10 days bare minimum stay. Prefer two to three weeks .
- Your spacious timber filled cosy bedroom has: comfy double bed , big desk, many spare warm clothes and wetsuits, view to lush quiet garden (super clean air), reading light plus big light, chairs, clothes hanging space.
We can accommodate couples (or two mature friends) who can sleep in same room, esp. if one person can drive and is over 25 yrs old (for car insurance ) . Couples will often to do separate tasks.
Available resources for helpers:
- Spare clothes and shoes (for work or play)
- Wetsuits - Surfboard - Boogie board.
- Some internet access at house in eve from phone hotspot or -
- Home library - focused on sustainable home and community living / environmental and personal health / development .
- Sewing gears (lots)
- Gear for beach golf & beach bowls
- Lessons in surfing / various yoga practices / English / Australian dialect.
- Did we mention : all the fresh foods from our gardens
- You can use a mobile Optus 4G hotspot, with data limits but plenty of phone call time. - We are an iOS and Linux household. The wide screen Toshiba-Linux laptop is needing software update - can you help? - Can make a desk space for you .
1 x well decked out carport space with electricity and water access.
4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week, includes meal preparation.
Ce sont des évaluations supplémentaires en option lorsque les membres laissent un feedback. La note moyenne pour chaque option est affichée.
Exactitude du profil: