Enregistré comme favori 926 fois
We are a small, off-grid community and education center in rural Virginia focusing on creative expression and experimental concepts.
We offer a kid's program on Mondays, which combines Capoeira, theater, sustainability and ecology education and team building/ropes course. We're developing an outdoor museum throughout our forest trails that is focused on interactive, scientific models of sustainability. We have regular weekly Capoeira and improv theater classes.
We have seed farming contracts to grow a variety of crops this year. We're growing two varieties of hot peppers, okra, and a purple pole bean. We are helping out another farm with many more seed crops. We also have a small plot for our community garden.
There are four other communes within 15 min drive, with whom we have a work exchange relationship, so there will be opportunities to connect with lots of other people in the area, through work and social gatherings.
At this point it is most synergistic for us to host families, since kids can take part in our education offerings, but we are happy to host anyone with interest in what we are doing here! There may also be folks from the other communities staying with us as well.
Our homestead is nestled amidst beautiful countryside, and is walking/biking distance to several other intentional communities with a variety of other interests. We are less than an hour away from Richmond, VA, Charlottesville, VA, and two hours from Washington DC. The ocean and the mountains are both a day trip away.
We can't wait to meet you!!
Aide avec des éco-projets
Bricolage et projets de construction
S’occuper des animaux
Aide dans une ferme
Cuisine/repas pour la famille
Aide à la maison
Aide informatique / avec Internet
This is an immersive experience in a homestead that is highly integrated into a network of egalitarian income-sharing communes that are weaving the new paradigm, spreading the seed of the revolution, or at least recipes for vegan snacks. The local communes attract guests and members from all over the world, opening surprising cultural exchange opportunities that you would not typically see in a rural area.
Ce projet peut impliquer des enfants. Pour en savoir plus, consultez nos directives et conseils ici.
1. we are looking for people who want to learn! as an education center, we focus a little less on hard monotonous work and more on teaching, experimenting, and offering new experiences for people. we hold some classes and discussions, and rely on each other to continue learning and researching topics for continuing to contribute to the project and for personal growth.
2. as a community, and as spiritual warriors seeking to dismantle some of the destructive side effects of capitalism, we aspire for deep connections with ourselves and with each other. so we have a regular practice of emotional check in, daily practice of shared gratitude, and weekly dedicated conversation in a heart-centered space.
3. we are working on an Outdoor Sustainability Museum! We are revamping our outdoor museum, adding new elements that model ecological processes, model human impact on our planet, and explore solutions.
4. Farming: We have some seed crops we are growing for Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and a community garden. We'll especially need help for harvest and seed processing.
4. Forestry: We harvest timber from our forest for building materials and for firewood. we need help with felling, limbing and debarking, mostly using hand-tools.
5. Natural Building: We are close to finishing the clay plaster on our new straw bale home.
6. Improving our water filtration system: we need help creating a better filter for the water of our little pond. it involves digging, transplanting, landscaping, and mostly dealing with moody pumps
7. Playground: beyond the zipline and swings we currently have, we are working on creating new activities and an obstacle course in the forest.
8. Off-grid solar tech: we need help with developing and testing our solar system towards our ultimate grid independence. this includes solar power, electric car conversion, building experimental solar technology, and working with the rhythms of the sun and the clouds.
9. we have regular capoeira workshops including drumming lessons, martial arts, and singing.
10. we have weekly role play meetings where we develop skits and audience participation in what is known as "theater of the oppressed" a technique to create greater understanding and conversational flexibility in conflict situations, from communities to geopolitics
In addition to all the exciting projects, there is still always a fair bit of domestic work to do, including cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking out the compost, stoking the wood-fired hot tub, cleaning the pond, gardening, and brewing ginger beer.
Our Daily Schedule:
Five days/week we meet after breakfast to discuss our day, then work together until lunch (4ish hours). After lunch workawayers have freedom to take time for themselves, or work on something they are inspired to do and want to contribute, or work on their own personal awesomenesses. Classes would also happen in the afternoon. Although many of the projects here require some level of skill, most problems you might encounter are only 3 youtube videos away from being figured out, and if not, we can figure it out together.
Sign language (American): Débutant
Cet hôte propose un échange linguistique
Cet hôte a indiqué qu’il souhaitait faire partager sa propre langue ou en apprendre une nouvelle.
Contactez-le pour en savoir plus.
We have various places to sleep: some houses, barn, vintage airstream trailer, sailboat, wigwam or a hammock. 15 acres of forest are available for you to play or camp in. We have two showers, composting toilets, running water, hot tub, bathing pond, some electricity (mostly solar). We eat almost all of our meals together, and take turns cooking . All of your food will be provided here. We stick to a vegetarian diet. We accept and accommodate people with various diets, including vegans, gluten free, etc.
Although we are a small community, we expect to host multiple workawayers at a time, and you should expect to be well integrated into the social sphere. please be willing to have open and honest communication with the people around you. We expect that volunteers will fully participate in the culture here. We do not have a culture of partying; excessive alcohol or drug use will not be tolerated. We expect all volunteers and members to keep the common spaces tidy and personal belongings in personal spaces.
Here on the property or within walking distance, we have places to swim, play in the forest, hike, camp, and create. The surrounding communities host regular social events like dancing, singing, happy hour, potlucks, and parties. You could hike in the blue ridge mountains, which is only about an hour away, and the ocean is only two hours from us. There are local commune shuttles that you can use to get around as well.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
we have plenty of space, no problems there. but you can't drive into the forest, there's only walking paths, so you can't really park in a secluded spot.
no one likes to think that their dog could possibly cause any trouble, but some dogs do and some dogs don't. we can't really specify, but we'll just say that we have free ranging poultry, cats, kids, gardens, pond, and a peaceful lifestyle. can your dog respect that?
Plus de 2
5 hours/day, 5 days/week maximum
Ce sont des évaluations supplémentaires en option lorsque les membres laissent un feedback. La note moyenne pour chaque option est affichée.
Exactitude du profil: