We are a German–Ecuadorian family and want our children (2 and 4.5 years) to practice more German and English. Both understand very well German and Spanish, but speak mainly Spanish. Usually, you will take care of the kids in the afternoon and use your native language for communication. Since both speak Spanish, you will learn some Spanish at the same time. The activities you do with the kids depend a lot on your own interests and skills.
You will be a member of the family, meaning that you will also help with household (especially cooking) and gardening tasks. Couples/families usually help a bit more with the household.
Ideally, you should be
- Experienced with toddlers/children
- Experienced with (language) teaching
- ... But the most important skill is your native language!
We prefer people who stay long-term (at least one month, the longer the better), but shorter stays may be possible as well, especially if you are experienced with children.
You will mainly communicate and work with Sarah (me). While Danilo, my husband, spends a lot of time at work, I organize most of the childcare, household and family activities. I am interested in an alternative lifestyle, especially unschooling, healthy and environmentally friendly living, and environmental education. My dream is to have a small urban farm, but it is still a looong way to go...
Baby-sitting et jeux créatifs
Préparer les repas / cuisiner pour la famille
Aider à la maison
S’occuper des animaux
Accueil / tourisme
Pratique d’une langue
You will definitely get more experience with kids! I will give you many tips and tools on how two stimulate language learning in smaller children. Although I am still at the very beginning, you could also learn a bit about urban farming/ permaculture.
I want you to enjoy your stay as much as possible! I am very glad to help you discover Ecuador, especially I can help with:
- Information about cultural events (concerts, dance festivals, parades, theatre, cinema ...)
- Information about what to do in your free time (yoga, squash, swimming, climbing, dancing...)
- Information + help organizing trips and hikes (especially Chimborazo, Altar)
- Hiking equipment (tent, sleeping bags, poles, headlights, rubber boots)
I love being outdoors and I know a lot of nice places and paths not even most natives know. Just ask me! Or join us if we go hiking ;)
Your tasks will be diverse and depend also on your preferences and skills:
- Entertaining the kids (playing, reading, singing, painting, handicrafts...) or just looking after them
- Cooking (whatever you like to cook, preferably vegan or vegetarian)
- Feeding the hummingbirds
- A bit of gardening (watering plants, weeding, planting). We have already planted around 90 trees and shrubs in the garden and neighborhood.
- A bit of cleaning
- Prepare the house for guests from Airbnb
We live in a new house in a very calm neighborhood in the outskirts of Riobamba. You will get a private room and bathroom (without shower) on the top floor. On clear days, you will have a great view of all the surrounding volcanoes.
Furthermore, you will get:
- Shared bathroom with shower
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner
- Access to Wi-Fi and a computer
- Access to the kitchen and washing machine
- Rides to town whenever possible
- Flexible working hours and days (prior agreement)
For families: I can add an air mattress and a small mattress big enough for a toddler.
We live outside the city, there is no public transport and no shops. You will need to walk about 8 - 15 minutes to smaller shops and to the closest bus stop. A taxi to the city center will be about $ 1.50 - 2.50.
On your free days, I recommend you to
- Visit the Chimborazo Reserve (highest volcano of Ecuador and closest point to Sun)
- Hike to the beautiful lagoons around El Altar
- Climb Tungurahua, Carihairazo or Chimborazo (only with guide and experience)
- Visit the waterfalls of Baños, Patate and Pallatanga
- Visit Ambato
- Visit the traditional market of Guamote
It is a 3 hours bus ride to the Amazon (Puyo, Macas), 4 hours to Quito, 5 hours to Guayaquil and 6 hours to Cuenca.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Plus de deux
20-25 hours/ week (working hours will be flexible)
Ce sont des évaluations supplémentaires en option lorsque les membres laissent un feedback. La note moyenne pour chaque option est affichée.
Exactitude du profil: