I'm Laura, a nomad who is currently at home in Germany for a change. Last year, after a long break I took a full time job as science, physics and maths teacher in a middle and high (comprehensive) school in Hannover. It's the largest and one of the most modern schools here. My second year has recently begun, I now teach grades 6, 9 and 11-13 (ages 11-19). Welcome to join me! The majority has a migration background, in middle school we have several special needs kids. Most of them are super sweet, some can be a challenge sometimes, some need a lot of support. I'm sure many will benefit from you. I teach most topics for the first time, so I'm really busy and stressed at times.
How things go here depends a bit your interests, talents and language skills. If you are into teaching you can help me prepare the lessons, experiments, worksheets. Also you can just be there for the kids in the classroom. If you're into animals you could help in the school zoo (guinea pigs, birds, fishes, geckos). You should enjoy cycling, because I usually bike the 11 km to school (40 min). There's a tram but it takes the same amount of time. You need to get up early because unfortunately my new schedule starts at 8 every day. -.- You don't necessarily need to join each of the 19 x 45 min I teach thought, that's up to you.
Furthermore you can spend time with my parents and possibly my friends' children, help in the garden, and please definitely help in the kitchen. Chopping veggies, making salads, smoothies, baking, preparing sandwiches/snacks that we can eat during the sometimes long day at school... stuff like that. You are very welcome to be creative! We have a piano. You could teach my dad if you can (beginner).
Two weeks is a good time frame for a start, possibly a bit longer if it goes well. We're not able to make long term commitment for several months.
Some things about us:
In my rare free time I train Karate and spend time in nature. Some other interests of mine are photography, space science, travelling, hiking, climbing, boating, and I'm a bit into Lego. My parents (retired engineer and biologist) practice various sports several times a week as well. They love classical music and my dad loves jazz. We have a huge collection of board games. I'm vegetarian, my parents aren't. Our cooked meals are mostly vegan. You are welcome to join all our activities and meals.
Until now I have lived in seven countries and through different platforms I have hosted and stayed with some 300 people. I came here to find those that like to stay a little longer and are interested in teaching.
What you should bring:
- Interest in education, teaching or children and teenagers in general.
- Some German skills and interest to improve your German. Fluency in English if your German is poor.
- Positve attitude towards cycling 80 min/day
- Ability to think for yourself and an open eye to notice what needs to be done (both at home and at school)
- Interest to be part of a family (me and my 70 y/o parents)
- Proof of vaccination
What you should please not bring:
- nit-picking when it comes to working hours. There's actually very little actual "work" that "must" be done here by you. I work at least 60 I guess, you do what you can and like, I have no time to count hours. The time you spent with my students during class (up to 15 if you like) should mainly be considered your time to learn (German and teaching) or your time to volunteer.
- The belief that you can be of super great help here. We're doing this for fun! We like having guests and we like sharing. You can probably help me about as much as I invest time in telling, showing or explaining stuff to you.
Pratique d’une langue
Compagnie pour pers. âgée
Bricolage et projets de construction
Baby-sitting et jeux créatifs
Cuisine/repas pour la famille
Aide à la maison
Aide informatique / avec Internet
Please tell us what you want to do and learn!
Basically you are welcome to join everything we do in our daily life. So besides my work at school that would be preparing food, visiting friends, sports, weekend trips... we love the outdoors, hiking and stuff.
You can learn anything school related, German language, Arabic from my Syrian friends, and try new stuff in the kitchen
Ce projet peut impliquer des enfants. Pour en savoir plus, consultez nos directives et conseils ici.
Depends quit a bit on you and the current situation here.
- Help me teach, plan and prepare stuff, scan or copy teaching material, grade tests or homeworks, make your own project, support special needs and immigrant kids, simply be with the kids so they get to meet someone new and are encouraged to speak English
- Help in the kitchen
Possibly or occasionally:
- Teach piano
- Speak English with my parents and friends and their kids (aged 2-11)
- Play with friend's kids
- A little gardening and maybe house maintenance projects
- go running/cycling with my dad or teach us some other sports
Cet hôte propose un échange linguistique
You will improve your German here by immersion. I have several Syrian friends here with whom you could practice Arabic. My students, parents and friend's kids could improve English by chatting with you and I'm trying to learn learn Japanese.
You will have your own room in our row house in a quiet Hannover suburb. Most likely you will even have your own bathroom.
Just let us know what you're interested in please! We live 8 km (15 min by tram) from the city center, 5 min walk from a forest and 10 min walk from the countryside.
We have hosted 100+ couchsurfers and most of them seemed pretty happy here. :)
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Can park on the street just outside our house.
We don't have any but we are generally open for pets.
Roughly 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week