Enregistré comme favori 164 fois
My name is Rye and I'm a traveller and linguist at heart!
I have travelled around the world and lived in 5 countries. I speak the five languages of the 5 countries I've lived in: English, Filipino, Espanol, Portugues and Khmer.
I've been fortunate enough to own one of the top hostels in the world's most beautiful island -- Palawan, Philippines. In 2018 we converted the hostel into a private holiday rental.
Right now, aside from my rental, I have two other small businesses in Cambodia and I help out with the family business in Manila. As you can imagine-- it can get quite busy for me at times!
And I need help from the smallest to the biggest areas: anywhere from encoding information, to help improving my existing website.
Even if you don't volunteer with me, I want to thank you already just for looking at my profile by giving you top ten tips for Palawan :)
Here are my top ten Palawan travel tips:
1. Palawan Heritage Museum -- my top recommendation! Do not go to Palawan without going here it's a local secret that most travellers don't know!
2. Get a free sim card at the Manila airport -- again most travellers dont know this.
3. Top Filipino delicacy I recommend: Pork Sisig. Google it :)
4. Top Palawan delicacy I recommend: Crocodile Sisig. Google it :)
5. Top beer I recommend: Red Horse. Trust me this is what the volunteers first miss after they leave the Philippines :)
6. WW2 Heritage Musuem -- deep, profound, incredibly cheap!
7. Local language: Call males "kuya" and females "ate" (pronounced Ah-teh). They will love you for it :)
8. Local language: Thank you is "sa-LA-mat"
9. For beer enthusiasts: Palawenyo Brewery. You will be shocked how good Filipino beer can be.
10. Smile, smile and smile! You're on vacation. It's not supposed to be a job. Filipinos are the happiest people on the planet so enjoy each moment while in Palawan you are blessed to be here!
Entretien / Bricolage
Aide avec les langues
Aide informatique / Internet
I've hosted over 160 volunteers (from my hostel business) and I'm a traveller at heart. More importantly I've lived in 5 countries and speak five languages. I have visited over 25 countries. I see things from the travellers point of view, and the local's as well :)
(Definitely a book that I recommend as you travel Asia would be Lee Kwan Yeu's "From third world to first world." It's a fascinating account of South East Asian history from an inspiring leader's point of view.)
The cultural exchange learned would be the following:
I give a personal tour on your first day, so that you know the history, local customs, travel tips, where to eat, local delicacies, and everyday fascinating things that make the place memorable, and more importantly, gives you the freedom daily to explore where you want to go.
Specifically I would need help in:
1. interior design and/or architectural help to improve the layout/flow of the place;
2. encoding help -- transferring email addresses of my clients (and other information) to my hubspot and mailchimp
3. carpentry, painting and handyman help -- experience would be necessary for these
4. website help -- go to my business' website: and you'll see what I mean :)
5. accounting help -- this is self-explanatory :)
6. gardening and landscape help -- for the rental as this is the main highlight of the property
or any you could suggest :) We are quite open-minded. And the best park is we only need you for three hours a day :) Nothing too long!
English, Spanish, Portuguese, Filipino, Khmer
Room with bath and shower. Wifi of course :)
Time off tasks:
Beach, beach and more beach!
We can definitely show you the best local beaches that are free and/or very inexpensive.
Also the foodie tour I'll give you will allow you to enjoy Filipino food like no other :)
There are also some volunteer organizations I know that could help you spend a more significant time in Palawan.
With several volunteers I help them plan their SE Asia trip since I lived in Cambodia for three years and visited Saigon 15 times.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Maximum 3 hours a day, 5 days a week