We are a young couple with a 4 year old toddler (Derrick, Paola & Ikal), running a nonprofit organization based on union and community self-management in the agricultural sector through services that promote food sovereignty from agroecology.
Short/long story goes like this: After hurricane Maria, us and a group of people from the island got a scholarship at Earthship Biotecture Academy at Taos NM. There we started studying about sustainable and resilient systems for housing and other structures. Once we came back we started working on a disaster relief project located at TainaSoy Apiario in the town of Aguada. During the first year, still not having a secure home, we decided to buy a shuttle bus and convert it into a sustainable tiny home with the mission of finding a farm in where we could anchor our deepest roots. We moved around five different farms until we got to Plato Indio, Las Marias where we’re finally staying.
Here we have 2 houses, around 50 acre of farm land and a beautiful river surrounding us in witch we will help creat a fruit forest that’s gonna be stablished for generations.
Pratique d’une langue
Aide avec des éco-projets
Bricolage et projets de construction
S’occuper des animaux
Aide dans une ferme
Baby-sitting et jeux créatifs
Cuisine/repas pour la famille
Aide à la maison
Aide informatique / avec Internet
Our organization is community based in which you’ll find yourself being part of activities and experiences that are going to help connect local people so we all work and farm together for a future built on food sovereignty and self-reliance.
Ce projet peut impliquer des enfants. Pour en savoir plus, consultez nos directives et conseils ici.
1) Welding - Need to finish kitchen counter top and shelfs.
2) People with farming experience - (Recently opened old road ways around the farm and we're currently working on water management and erosion control systems using bank stabilization plants.)
- Maintaining the roads free
- Cleaning and tagging stablished fruit crops
- Maintenance of the food garden.
- Build a chicken coop.
- Land preparation for future plantings
(Most know how to use machete, lawnmower and weed eater.)
3) Construction - We're on the process of reconstruct the future office & industrial kitchen/ remodeling the house and hostel and putting the systems to work. Availability to work on different tasks of this nature.
4) Cooking- We only have one communal kitchen at the moment to share with everyone. Usually people rotate the role of cooking during the day as also as dish washing. You should be capable of cooking big meals in an conscious, organized and healthy way.
5) Experience handling tools!
Cet hôte propose un échange linguistique
Open to learn new languages and share the ones we know.
1) Hostel type of situation: big room with 3 bunk beds, kitchen in process.
2) Camping area: plenty of camping spots with the most magical views at Las Marias mountains.
Shower and compost toilet are communal.
Plenty of rivers and beaches close by, such as good restaurants and local towns. Unless you already rent a car, up in the mountains we can provide the contact of a driver that can take you around or You can ride with us whenever we go down to town.
Our work hours usually starts early in the morning unless we got to go out to town.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Space for at least 4 campers
Plus de 2
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week