We are Zita and Arpi, a married couple living in a large house with a small garden 20 minutes away from the city centre of Budapest. We arrived back home from our 4-year long honeymoon around the world in September 2015. We have bicycled 40.000 km in 46 countries and now we are settled again. From now, we stay at home, and the world comes to us by welcoming people. :) We are 3 people in the house, we live with Zita's mother, aunt Katy, she is 73 y.o. but she is open minded, she speaks a little bit of German and studying English on Duolingo every day. :) She is the cook and trust me, she is experienced, she does magic in the kitchen every day! ;) We speak English y hablamos poquito de Español también. And Hungarian of course. :)
Bricolage et projets de construction
Aide à la maison
We are happy to welcome you as a family member with all the duties and advantages of this status. :)
Aunt Katy is a cooking master and she usually cooks typical Hungarian dishes, not the fancy ones what you can eat in restaurants, but authentic and healthy food. The ingredients of these foods are mostly coming from our family's countryside garden and from the nearby market from local growers.
Local and travel information! :)
We have born and lived most of our life in Hungary, we are happy to share everything we know about Budapest, the country, the culture, the language, the people. We have traveled extensively in the neighboring countries and also in 46 countries (about 70 in total if we count in Europeans) by cycling, backpacking, hitchhiking worldwide and we are very happy to share our experiences with you! :)
Most of the weekends we leave the city and if there are enough free seats in our car (most of the cases) you are welcome to join us! If we go by public transport or bicycle, it is 100% you can join us, if you wish! :) Either we go to
- Vértesboglár (a small town near the Vértes woods 60km west from Budapest) to help out Arpi's parents in the garden and go hiking/running in the Vértes.
- Hiking the "OKT", the "Országok Kéktúra", the Hungarian Countrywide Blue Tour, which is the oldest long distance walking path in Europe. The complete length is 1128.2 km (701.03 mile), with an elevation gain of 30213 meter (99124 feet) through the northern part of the country: - It has 27 sections from 15 to 70km, usually we take a 1, 2 or 3 days hike in one weekend.
- Orienteering running in the countryside! :) Arpi's family are full of orienteerers. This is the most fascinating sport he can imagine: you must find checkpoint in the forests in the proper order as fast as you can. You have a compass and an SI-card (to validate that you found all the CPs and save your split times) and you get a very detailed map of the area (usually forest and mountains) with the CPs on it. It is a huge fun!!! :)
- in the weekdays, Arpi is working in an office 5/8 hours, 1 or 2 days a week in home office, Zita is busy organizing the house and our new life, but in the evening, we usually go out to hold a presentation or to O-running in one of the city parks on Wednesday, play board games, open a bottle of wine / some beers and enjoy the company of our guests, etc... :)
A bike! :)
We have "Mary Poppins", a comfy 5 speed bicycle ideal for discovering the wonderful city of Budapest. If there are no other guests using it, you are free to use it! ;) From our house you can reach the city park in 10-15 minutes by bicycle, and from there, it is only another 5-10 minutes to get to the city center. "Mary Poppins" has a basket on its handlebar for your stuff and we also give you a safe U-lock for locking it. It is not an expensive bike (but a good one!), so if you will lock it carefully, you don't have to worry about it. If the house will get busy with guests, we will assemble another bike for our guests, that will be a road bike with an old frame but new brakes and tires.
Ce projet peut impliquer des enfants. Pour en savoir plus, consultez nos directives et conseils ici.
Add the date of your requested stay in the subject of your message! Without this I can't sort out messages, and I may not answer your request.
Example: you want to stay for the first two weeks of August, then write: "1-13 August". That simple! :)
NOTE: We have set that we can accommodate 2 people. It is only true if we have no other guests.
- Cleaning the house
- Washing the dishes
Once a while tasks:
- Cleaning the windows
- Cleaning the doors, dusting, collect spider-webs, and stuff.
- Help me to organise our bookshelf (we have tons of books, it needs to be sorted, dusted and organised.)
Tasks in the garden:
- Paint the fence
- Paint the railing
- Plant and water grass seeds (September)
Tasks need special strength or skill
- Chop up firewood
Tasks inside the house
- Filler and paint the wall in the bathroom downstairs
- Fix the tile, where it is moving
Task for artistic people
- Paint a brick wall in the garden
There are a wide variety of tasks that need to be done, and all of these are the kind I do or would do myself. It was my husband's idea to get help for me. Since I started my own business I have less time to work together with you, but I'll do my best to help you between my work appointments.
Generally speaking: there are many kinds of cleaning/organising kind of stuff. We had/have a messy household, and I want to get a more clutter free house. So there is a lot of sorting, organising, packing, throwing out, repairing, giving to charities... so in short: "have less, live more happily".
The other kind of tasks are related to the garden and general maintenance. We have been away for 4 years, and my mum could not keep up with all the work needed to be done.
4-5 hours of daily work in the morning, between the breakfast (8am) and lunch (12-13pm). The afternoon and the evening will be yours! :)
You will get your own room in the 2nd floor of the house (what we call 1st floor in Hungary :D). This is either a small, cozy room with one bed, or a slightly bigger room with a 1,5 size bed comfortable for a couple. Each room has a desk and chair and WiFi internet access. Next to these room there is a bathroom with shower which you going to share with two of us. Of course in separate times... :) There is a separate toilet next to the bathroom and there is another one downstairs if things get busy in the morning. :)
You are welcome to have breakfasts with us around 7:30, lunch around 12-13pm and dinner around 6-7pm. Usually there is only one cooked meal in the day, and typically it is the lunch, but sometimes the dinner too. For breakfast and dinner we usually eat homemade bread with homemade humus or jam, lemonade, etc.
Budapest is a great city! :) If you are not into cycling, we can tell you how to buy a seasonal ticket for the public transportation. By that, the inner city centre is about ~30-35 minutes from our house on a single bus+walking.
Near to our place, there is a local spa and swimming pool. If you want to try the so-called thermal water in Budapest for a cheaper price, you can have your experience here. It's relaxing! :)
There is a marketplace 5 minutes from our house. It sells fresh vegetables, fruits, meat, fresh milk, and technically anything you can wish for. A great and very local place to get ingredients for your cooking, if you wish to cook. At the weekend there is a bigger open-air market next to it. There are some place to eat there also.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week