Enregistré comme favori 1702 fois
STOP PRESS! In addition to general volunteers, we are looking for a VET NURSE or experienced animal carer to stay for 2-3 months starting in September! Please scroll down to find details of this position under the general information below***.
SECONDLY! If you can only stay with us for a week or two, then perhaps you'd like to help with FUNDRAISING? Read on...
We are more than just an animal welfare organization. We care for and respect all living beings – animals, plants, people, the earth. We don’t differentiate between species or shape. To us, all life is sacred.
We were founded in 2005 and are officially registered in Switzerland and in Kos. Primarily, we aim to relieve animal suffering on the island of Kos – without ignoring the life circumstances of the local people. Our goal is to promote change at the root source, through sterilization and sensitization. Even now in 2022, thousands of stray cats still wander on the streets of Kos, multiply in no time, and suffer from infectious diseases. Some dogs are still abandoned on the roads, whilst many others are kept on short chains for their entire lives. Cows, donkeys and other large animals often have neither shelter from the scorching sun nor constant access to water.
We work with a multi-faceted approach and wish to utilise our limited resources wisely so that animals are helped and respected – now and in the future.
Our animal sanctuary is located in the beautiful countryside of Kos. You can see the sea on one side and picturesque mountains with superb walks on the other. The nature of our job is unpredictable, which means that each day is different. There is free time every day for leisure activities, swimming, water sports, etc. and all volunteers get 2 days off a week. Due to the type of work and our location ‘out-in-the-bush’, a driving licence is indispensable.
Out of respect for all animals, we eat a vegan/ vegetarian diet; meat is not allowed on site. Due to the nature of our work, we do not have set eating times as we all often have slightly different schedules. The kitchen on-site is well-equipped and at your disposal. We place great importance on hygiene, which includes keeping the kitchen clean and tidy. There is no internet access on-site (due to the expense) other than through your own private phone. However, we have good network reception on-site.
We generally require volunteers to stay for at least four weeks, but if you have particularly good FUNDRAISING skills and would enjoy talking to people all day to inform them about our work and generate donations, then please contact us even if you cannot stay quite so long!
All in all, we offer a great opportunity to discover Greece, change the life of animals for the better, and further your own personal development!
***WANTED: A VET NURSE or experienced animal carer for our animal centre on the island of Kos, Greece
This position allows and requires you to work independently and take on responsibility. To assist our centre manager, you take care of the stationary animals, organize the small team of volunteers, and coordinate the daily activities outside the centre and the sterilization activities.
We offer you a unique work experience where you can enhance your personal skills and enjoy every day with all its challenges! We place great value on a respectful and cheerful working atmosphere.
What we offer:
• Free accommodation, very close to the sea
• Free vegan/ vegetarian food
• Close proximity to water sports
• A superb team atmosphere
• Lovely working environment
• Possibility to enhance leadership qualities
• Amazing life experience and the possibility to learn about new cultures
What we require:
• Experience in working with animals in a shelter/ animal clinic
• Good people skills, flexible team player and ability to organise a small team
• Fluent in English essential, second language German preferred
• Experienced driver with driving licence
• Persistence, resilience, flexibility and ability to work under pressure
• Ability to take instructions and to delegate
• Basic administrative skills to keep records diligently
• Clean and tidy way of working
• Minimum stay of 2-3 months, preferably six
S’occuper des animaux
We provide a professional environment in which volunteers from all over the world meet.
Volunteers have the opportunity to meet local people and learn about their culture.
Volunteer work entails:
- Caring for animals on-site (feeding, shampooing, spending quality time with them, etc.)
- Cleaning kennels/cattery
- Cleaning out chicken/goat/sheep sheds
- Aftercare of operated/injured animals, under supervision of head-carer
- Walking dogs
- Training dogs, depending on skills
- Taking animals to veterinarians
- Catching stray cats for sterilization
- Cleaning cat boxes and the vehicle after operation
- Artwork for those who like to get creative (painting, drawing, etc.)
- Informing people about our work at fundraising stands
- Various off-site work with head-carer (monitoring specific animals, cruelty cases, etc.)
- Cleaning the kitchen/ bathroom/ sleeping area
Volunteers share a small bamboo lodge. There is an outdoor shower for the adventurous, and the apartment with kitchen and bathroom is just few footsteps away.
We are off-site almost every day, which gives ample opportunity to buy food etc. There are horse riding stables 10 mins. walk away; the beach is 20 mins. by car and the Asklepieion ancient ruins also 20 mins. by car.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Plus de 2
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Ce sont des évaluations supplémentaires en option lorsque les membres laissent un feedback. La note moyenne pour chaque option est affichée.
Exactitude du profil: