This is a multi-family co-operative permaculture farm in Sooke. We are developing the farm following the principles of Earth Care, People Care, and Fair Share.
Bricolage et projets de construction
Aide dans une ferme
We offer the unique experience of temporarily joining a small, intentional egalitarian community, akin to a tiny ecovillage.
We will happily share our learning about:
- permaculture farming
- raising ethical meat
- unschooling, home learning, and life-long learning
- co-operative structure
- group dynamics and collaborative decision-making
- herbal lore, plant medicine, and living with the natural rhythms of the seasons
- expand your cooking skills, especially with whole foods, traditional diets, and slow food
- hunting and fishing, including archery (though we are still learning!)
- many languages: English & French; some ASL, Spanish, Ukrainian, Japanese
Ce projet peut impliquer des enfants. Pour en savoir plus, consultez nos directives et conseils ici.
Our project priorities for SUMMER 2021 focus on building new infrastructure and expanding our facilities as we prepare to host a new program in the fall.
FOR SUMMER 2021, we will only have the capacity to welcome Workaway Volunteers who bring specialised training or experience ** to work alongside our team, and/or in exchange for a paid honourarium **
SKILLED LABOURERS might have experience or qualifications as a CARPENTRY or other trades…
TRAINED PROFESSIONALS might include architects, designers, building engineers.
If you believe you have the skills or training we seek, please reach out!
*️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️ *️️️️️️️️️️️
Daily chores on our farm include the care of animals (chickens, pigs, sheep), maintaining the perennial food forest and kitchen garden, and sharing learning adventures with kids (four children, aged 10-15).
Under usual circumstances… no matter your skill or interest, there's sure to be a good fit for you — so let us know what appeals to you most, whether that's a skill and experience you bring or a passion for learning more about a particular homesteading area of interest.
Projects or tasks that might be prioritised & learning opportunities we can offer
- earthworks, building landscape according to permaculture design principles
- planting trees, irrigating, and managing compost and soil amendments
- caring for farm animals such as chickens, pigs, rabbits, sheep
- mowing with a scythe, ploughing with pigs, and other traditional manual farm skills
- building tiny homes and natural construction buildings, especially using timer framing techniques and natural building materials
- developing marketing materials and engaging in community art projects to support education around resilience and sustainable living
- learning about alternative education options including distributed learning, learning at home, home schooling, unschooling, and forest schooling
- assisting with Food LOOP food waste reclamation project
- helping with weekly farm gate sales (farm stand)
- youth work, adventuring, or skill sharing with youth young people aged 10-15
- general maintenance and farm labour in the food forest, orchard, kitchen garden, or pasture
- helping with tree management including felling trees, planting watering saplings and transplants, pruning, and chipping
- participating in board games, playing outdoors, and sharing in DIY and Geek Culture with farmers
- exploring music playfully, especially ukulele, guitar, hand drums, and voice
Cet hôte propose un échange linguistique
Cet hôte a indiqué qu’il souhaitait faire partager sa propre langue ou en apprendre une nouvelle.
Contactez-le pour en savoir plus.
Our accommodations are rustic. Solar and heated outdoor showers are available and there is a river next to our farm property. Composting toilets are available on-site. Public and private showers are available off-site at the local community recreation centre (SEAPARC), a short walk away.
> Workawayers visiting over the summer months may be housed in any of the following accommodations. We ask that you honestly share your wishes or requests so that we can ensure you feel safe and comfortable:
. A "Boler" rigid camping trailer (see below), depending on availability. We have a small (13-foot) private "Boler" camper trailer, suitable for individuals or couples.
. A VW Westfalia camper van is also available for a individual or couple.
. Tent camping is also an option for shorter stays if we have many people on-site. You will be asked if this is acceptable to you — never placed in a tent without advance notice!
+ Meals are provided with full access to the kitchen.
+ Dinner is provided; other meals are made either collaboratively or independently. Help in the kitchen is both available and welcome.
+ Please inform us of any special dietary requirements in advance.
+ PLEASE NOTE ~ We serve an omnivore menu centred around ethical meat with some vegetarian options; full-time vegetarians may need to supplement their own meals and will have full access to our well-stocked kitchen.
+ Queer and trans-positive... 2SLGBTQQI+
+ Kid-friendly and breast-feeding /chest-feeding safe
+ Omnivore menu centred around ethical meat with some vegetarian options; full-time vegetarians may need to supplement their meals
+ Public transit accessible; $5 day pass grants access to the entire region
+ Bike-accessible via the Galloping Goose Trail
+ Local swimming pool $3 showers or $6 swim + sauna + hot tub
+ 40 km to Victoria or 5 km to Sooke’s town centre
+ Local attractions include: Sooke Potholes; Sooke Regional Museum; ocean beaches; paddle boarding; kayaking; surfing and wind-surfing; hiking trails for day hikes and extended hikes (Juan de Fuca Trail); nearby City of Victoria; whale watching; award-winning breweries (Sooke Oceanside Brewing, Sooke Brewing, and Mad Dog Brewing) as well as distilleries (Sheringham Point Distillery, Island Shiners Distillery) and meadery (Tugwell Creek Honey Farm & Meadery), and a soon-to-be-opening cidery; fishing; many fine arts and performance arts events; fabulous independent local coffee shop (The Stick in the Mud) and bakery cafes (Little Vienna, Jenny's Bakery, Shirley Delicious)… the list goes on!
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Cet hôte a indiqué qu’il aimait accueillir les digital nomads.
Cet hôte a de la place pour les vans.
Cet hôte a dit qu’il acceptait les personnes voyageant avec un animal.
Plus de 2
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Ce sont des évaluations supplémentaires en option lorsque les membres laissent un feedback. La note moyenne pour chaque option est affichée.
Exactitude du profil: