We are located the prestigious waters of Desolation Sound. This area is home to arguably the most beautiful spots along the BC Coast and is teaming with an abundance of marine life.
We are looking for an energetic and fun addition to the team here, Starting as soon as possible.
Every year we welcome several workaway members to join our staff onsite as we ready the lodge & grounds for the upcoming season.
Join us as we watch the area come to life with exceptional displays of marine life and natural landscapes.
Entretien / Bricolage
Cuisine / courses
Experience Desolation Sound intimately while you live in among the calmest and warmest water in the area. Experience once in a life time contacts with whales and other marine life. Live in a remote location that is completely off the grid and self sustained through the use of our water based independent power plant.
During your stay you will experience some of most spectacular wilderness settings in coastal British Columbia, see many species of marine wildlife, learn about, and enjoy eating, the many fish and shellfish species in the area, and learn about the centuries of rich First Nations culture and history in the area.
You'll see ancient First Nations pictographs at several locations near the site. Learn about the first voyages of Captain Vancouver on the Discovery and the Spanish on Valdes' and Sutil who were the first Europeans to explore the area. The area also has a rich history of prospectors and gold exploration as Robert Homfray surveyed the area in the 1800's looking for a route to the gold fields in the Cariboo.
During our tourist season you will meet hundreds of guests from all over the world and have a chance to exchange experiences while relaxing around the nightly campfire. You'll have plenty of time to explore the richness of the area by kayak, stand-up paddle board, and boat.
Later in the season, staff and guests alike have the opportunity to experience the large population of grizzly Bears that populate the nearby Toba Inlet, through our partnership with the Klahoose First nations. This opportunity will leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
Cet hôte offre l'hébergement et une rémunération.
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read our profile.
We are looking to host 1 to 2 workaway staff this year for the beginning of our season at our lodge located in the pristine waters of Desolation Sound. You would work from 10am till 3pm with our staff to get the lodge and grounds ready for our opening day.
Here is what a typical day looks like;
- Wake up (you will have your own room with shower etc) and join staff for breakfast (self-provided) from 8am till 9 am
- 10 am till 3pm work with our onsite staff to; trail clearing and building, cleaning of interior and exterior of buildings, tree pruning, cut fire wood, assist with dock repair, stain cedar around cabins and main lodge, and help maintain entrance, paths and garden spaces.
- There will be a 30 - 60 min lunch break each day depending on the task that is being completed.
- 2:30 clean up from the days work
- 3pm and onward is free time for boating, fishing/ prawning (usually 70 huge prawns per trap), kayaking, swimming, paddle boarding, hiking, and enjoying grounds.
- Staff Breakfast/lunch/dinner provided
- Satellite Wi-fi and phone service provided. Unfortunately we can not stream video/movies due to limited bandwidth. We do have a dedicated satellite phone for in/out bound calls. Skype/WhatsApp/Facetime/Hangout calls can be made on Wi-Fi. Cell service is very limited but can be accessed in a short boat ride in emergent situations.
Along with access to the Lodge and all its amenities you will also receive $25 a day paid out every week.
This is a very special place and a remarkable opportunity. We have an abundance of sea life including visits from resident humpback and killer whales, porpoises, as well as otters, sea lions, seals and all kinds of bird life.
The work is easy and the days are fun.
KEY POINTS TO KNOW
1) You are responsible for ensuring you have the correct visa, work permit (if required) and insurance, and providing copies before arrival.
2) We will pay you $25.00 per day plus lunch, dinner and accommodations.
3) Must be willing to adapt and experience life in a remote lodge that's off the grid and in the wilderness.
4) Must be in good physical condition, positive, outgoing, willing to learn and most of all, have fun!
Individual suites with private bathroom and shower, laundry and internet. Use of the Lodges amenities, docks, and water sports equipment when not in use by guests.
All meals are prepared fresh and are included. Meals (lunch and dinner) are served family style out of the main lodges dining room. Alcohol and personal snacks are welcome but must be purchased on your own. Alcohol is to not to be consumed in front of guests.
A half a days travel by local transit from Vancouver, B.C. Enjoy the scenic coast line as you travel via 2 ferries through the Sunshine Coast to Lund where you will picked up our staff via boat. Or if you're on Vancouver Island take the ferry from Comox to Powell River and we can help arrange transport to Lund.
The lodge is only accessible by boat or float plane. Our staff will meet you in Lund to transport you to Lodge via one of our boats. You will have the chance for trips back into Lund every week with staff via one of the Lodges boats.
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
Maximum 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week