Every summer we can use some help at our holiday home in Sweden. In 2017 we can use help during 2 weeks from July 22 - August 2. We can have up to 5 helpers at the same time.
We are a couple of 50+ years old. We love to meet new people and have a nice time together. The mentioned period is our holiday. We live and work in the Netherlands. Besides working around the house, we like to enjoy life and enjoy this holiday. We want you to have a great time too.
Iriah has Lyme disease and is therefore often tired. Hendry also has some physical problems. This is why help is very welcome, besides the fun of having people around. We will of course work around the house ourselves too.
We appreciate peace and quiteness and meaningful conversations. Because of the illness of Iriah she gets very quickly tired when people or conversations are busy all the time. So unfortunately helpers who have for instance ADHD or who are very busy are not suitable. In that case please don't apply.
I, Iriah work as a psychomotor therapist in a mental hospital. I give, among others, relaxation therapy, respiratory therapy and mindfulness. Providing security and trust is essential for me in my work and I am good at creating an atmosphere where everyone is accepted as they are. I believe in the power, potential and wisdom that every human possesses.
I do enjoy working in the garden and tinkering. For a part I make my own clothes.
I, Hendry, am currently working as a teacher and coach at a university college in the area of Applied Psychology. I have many years of experience in helping people within the field of education and research. I enjoy seeing people developing themselves. For me, every human being is beautiful and unique. You too :-)
I like to develop myself , play the didgeridoo and to make things with my own hands.
Together we have, besides our jobs, our own course and training center. We love to do this. In the near future we will move from the south of the Netherlands to the north of the country. We want to renovate an old farm and make it suitable for courses and training as well as a bed and breakfast.
The idea is that you are helping us 5 hours per day painting and renovating the house and doing other things. The rest of the time you can relax, lie in the hammock, explore the environment, walk in the woods, pick mushrooms and berries, swim in the lake, go on a trip in our canoe etc. In the evening we can make a camp fire. If you like, we can do things together.
We will supply your bed and meals. We invited people last year too and we really enjoyed working together with other people. So we are looking forward to meet new people again.
The house has been from Iriah's parents. During many years they lived half a year in Sweden and half a year in the Netherlands. Now they are in their 80s and feel too old to go to Sweden for more than a few weeks. There has been little maintenance done for a few years at the house and we are now refurbishing. It is a wooden house, like most houses in Sweden.
We also want to cut down some trees in the forest behind the house en the pile of branches need to be cleaned away.
In the future we will also need help in the north of the Netherlands. We are going to build a course and education center with a biological and partly permaculture garden.
You can sleep in the house (we have two 2-person beds and also several 1-person mattresses) or in a tent. The house is located south of Sunne near a small village. We have our own water well. There is a forest on our terrain. The trees grow faster than we can cut down. If you like, you can also help us bring down some trees. It's lovely to sit on the porch. From the porch you can see the lake through the trees.
Sweden has a continental climate and the province of Värmland, where our house is located, is situated behind the mountain ridge of Norway, so it usually is hot and dry in the summer.
- The lyme doctor has told Iriah that she should be more careful in getting infections. Lyme suppresses the immune system. There is an infection that 60-80% of the people have their whole live without becoming ill. In combination with Lyme disease the immune system is suppressed even more and her symptoms and fatigue are heavily increased. The infection is transmitted via aerosols in the air (invisibly small water droplets released during coughing or sneezing), and through saliva and hand contact (more or less). Therefore, if you are ill, have a cold or have to cough a lot (even without a cold) before arriving, we ask you not to visit us.
- Because Iriah is often very tired she can't handle people who are too active, are hyperactive or have ADHD. So we like to have quiet people.
- As a general rule we do not provide alcohol so heavy drinkers do not need to apply.
- We are not a company or institution with insurance for volunteers. We are private persons who likes to enjoy their holiday in Sweden. We recommend you buy a travel insurance that covers manual work, for instance from World Nomads.
- Like in many countries, also in Sweden there are ticks (tiny insects) that can spread lyme disease (bacterial infection), TBE (a virus) and maybe other infections (not all ticks carry diseases). It is wise to check yourself for ticks daily to prevent Lyme disease. We are vaccinated against TBE, most Swedish people are not. Most travel clinics offer TBE vaccinations. No helpers got tics so far, but everywhere you go in rural area in most parts of the world, there is a risk for tics and there are also tics in our area, for example if you go into the forest or high grass.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Click images to enlarge
Please log in and visit this profile to leave your feedback.