SEEKING 1 or 2 enthusiastic individuals to work outside and inside on projects that may include the following: gardening, home painting, landscaping, gardening and the routine maintenance of property leading toward improvements. This should be a good opportunity for the right individual as long as you are happy with simple pleasures. I hope to learn also, so if you have special skills - please tell me about them! Can you cook? Can you build? Great!! Tell me about it! In the past, I've hosted people that help in other ways outside of painting and gardening also, so tell me about yourself and maybe we can find the perfect fit for you here!
ABOUT THE SPACE(S)
The HOMESTEAD STONE CABIN is within the 272,000 acre San Jacinto National Monument so it's very close to nature. You'll enjoy clear, inspiring views of while living in an authentic former stagecoach stop. Palm Springs summers are hot and winters are cool, but the air is always clean and fresh.
Located in Whitewater, CA
Distance to Palm Springs: 9.4 miles
The MID-CENTURY MODERN HOME is in rural Palm Springs. There is one gas station here where you can get drinks/ snacks, but not much else. The home is better shape than most others nearby and it's comfortable. There is WIFI, air conditioning, two bathrooms, a small office, a television room and a full kitchen for your enjoyment.
Located in Rural West Palm Springs, CA
Distance to Palm Springs: ~3 miles
WHAT I OFFER AS A HOST
• Clean, clutter-free accommodation in a pet and smoke-free environment.
• Simple, healthy food to cook and eat. With your help, I can assist in creating a specialized diet to meet your needs. I have hosted gluten free, vegetarians, vegans, and more. I'm 6'3" and am quite content eating vegetarian most of the time.
• Connectivity: I have high speed WIFI at the Modern House.
• Availability and great communication
• Laundry macine services
• Local knowledge and occasional perks
• A safe environment with a host that cares about your wellbeing
• An experienced host. 140 positive references on CouchSurfing and over 100 on Airbnb.
• Your personal guide to the outdoors - I have done so part time since 2008.
• An interesting library to choose from
• Someone that is safe to talk to and welcomes people experiencing transitions in life.
WHAT I CANNOT OFFER AS A HOST
• I cannot always be your personal driver, but I will when we are doing work-related tasks. UBER is useful.
• I cannot offer refuge to the mentally ill or the 'burner/ drifter type'.
• I cannot extend my ongoing welcome to those that abuse this opportunity by continuing to break house rules and ignore my feedback. If problems occur, you will be asked to leave early.
• I cannot read your mind, but I can read your words and actions so please communicate!
• Excellent communication and availability. Please be respectful of property and time by getting on a schedule that meets the needs and expectations of the homeowner.
• Be social! This is a cultural exchange also and it's just awkward if you isolate yourself in your room for hours at a time or don't share mealtime with your host.
• Be willing to work up to five hours per day in exchange for room and board.
• Your willingness to occasionally cook, clean or help with random tasks is a bonus.
• Honesty and integrity.
• Initial time commitment is for 5 to 7 days - this serves as a trial period for the both of us.
• Sometimes expectations change - so be willing to adapt and I will also.
• I am a social drinker and I don't smoke. If you must smoke, you can do so outside.
• This opportunity is for registered applicants only.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
We'll be weeding and trimming bushes/ trees in the desert where it's often hot and spiny. This includes raking, pulling, bending, lifting, cutting, and more. It's important to cover your arms and legs so you don't get scratched in addition to not getting burned by the sun. Hats, glasses and gloves are useful if you have them. I'm also hoping to do some exterior painting at the Modern House and could use your help with that.
Do you know how to build fences, design desert landscape, or offer thoughts on sustainability and off-grid living? Tell me about it and maybe we can plan some bigger projects here. I'd like to finish an outdoor shower and build a wind proof/ fireproof wall for privacy also. I'm thinking stone or metal. I'd also like to design some outdoor living and plant some trees to provide shade. If we get along great and we get things done, there are endless opportunities here and I'm happy to consider a longer visit.
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GOOD COOKS!
Cabin and or Home.
Tent if absolutely necessary.
WHAT IS THERE TO DO AROUND HERE?
Joshua Tree National Park, Whitewater Preserve, The Palm Springs Ariel Tramway, Indian Canyons, San Jacinto National Monument, Oak Glen, Idyllwild, Palm Springs nightlife, and more.
Hiking, backpacking, climbing and more. You can also use your down time to refine your art skills in painting, photography or creative writing.
UBER and taxi serve all locations. There is no bus from the cabin or home. If you have a bike, bring it to ride into town if you desire (I don't have one). If you have a car, that's a bonus!
I have a very small work truck that seats two.
THE AVERAGE SCHEDULE:
Mid week quiet time is usually 9pm-7am M-F, but we often stay up later on the weekends.
It's important to find the rhythm of the house.
Work schedule is usually begins in the morning when it's cool, sometimes as early as 5am.
I try to be respectful by compressing our tasks as needed to maximize your time off.
We usually get out on the weekends and you are welcome to join us explore and have fun. We prefer to socialize with our guests - so if you are not social, this may not be the right place for you.
Questions? Please don't hesitate to ask!
--10 TIPS TO SUCCEED WITH WORKAWAY--
1) Be friendly and take the time to send a personal request (not just a cut and paste).
2) Show your enthusiasm and work ethic, photos of your work and true stories help!
3) Ask your host what amount of time they would feel comfortable hosting you - don't tell them.
4) Get feedback and references - because it helps in selecting the right individual.
5) Indicate why you want to visit a host. For example: "I'd like to work with you because_________."
6) Review listing details carefully before sending any inquires - it saves everyone energy.
7) Be willing to get on the host's schedule and get adequate rest during your stay - be available!
8) Plan on being social with your host, maybe even do something extra special now and then.
9) Be a host yourself! Someday, sometime, some way; it will help you appreciate it even more.
10) Think of 10 positive things to add to this list.
*At the MODERN home, we have WIFI that you can use for free. Alternatively, there are also coffee shops in town that offer free WIFI. Some of my guests prefer having no TV or wifi - this is a great place to read a book or write a novel because there aren't a lot of distractions.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
5 hours per day
Please log in and visit this profile to leave your feedback.