We are an autonomous project that provides cheap live/work space for its members, as well as services to the neighborhood.
In the Coworking space, parents can work and bring their kids along. Volunteers babysit.
In the Vegan Bistro/Bar, we offer vegan pizza on weekdays (mondays closed) and breakfast on sundays. Volunteers prepare food and help cleaning.
We offer food and lodging in exchange for a 25 hour week*. We try to schedule two days off per week: for babysitters, they are on weekends. For bistro volunteers, work is mainly on weekends!
**PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ OUR COMPLETE LISTING BEFORE CONTACTING US**
* 2-5 hours are typical domestic tasks that you would be doing in your own apartment anyway (cooking, cleaning, shopping).
We need two volunteers as regular babysitters (10-12 AM and 1-4 PM). The babysitters ought to have experience with children aged 0-3. Basic German is helpful, but not critical. It's not possible to do this job only a few days per week, as the children need to get used to the new babysitters. **The minimum stay is 3 weeks. Please don't apply if you can't stay at least 3 weeks :-)**
We need two volunteers who are willing to help in the kitchen of our alternative vegan bistro. The Bistro is our interface to the neighborhood and hosts events, concerts and promotes veganism.
We prefer couples who wish to stay long term (about 6 months). If you are a couple (or best friends sharing a room), we can make sure you have two days off per week (not on weekends) together. One cleaning shift in this case will be either wednesday early in the morning (1,5 h) or sunday evening, adding to an already existant long working shift of 7,5 hours.
Two separate volunteers are also welcome, so feel free to apply anyway. In this case, mondays are off for both of you, and the other free day will be on another day. Some shifts are more flexible than others.
Type of work & more information for both singles and couples:
**The guaranteed length of stay is a 3 weeks trial period with the possibility of extention if everything goes well, you like the environment and there are spots available** However, we prefer longer stays of at least 2 months.
Helping on saturdays and sundays is not optional in this position. Per person, the schedule includes 4 hours of cleaning (on different days) for the project, 1,5 hours of shopping for the project, 2-3 hours of domestic tasks (cooking, cleaning and shopping for the communal living part of staying here - we share these tasks equally amongst all the residents and volunteers of the house), the rest of the hours will be preparing brunch, pizzas or bike delivery of pizzas, distribution of flyers, sometimes manning the bar etc.
*You need to have cooking skills!* We cook vegan, so if you have experience with vegan food, that's cool, but it's not a must, if you have good cooking skills, we're sure you can learn to cook vegan quickly!
The minimum length of stay is 3 weeks. Please do not apply if you can't stay for at least 3 weeks :-)
There are usually about 4 volunteers with us at a time. Long stays have priority over short stays. A stay shorter than 3 weeks is not possible because training and introducing people to the house takes time. Families are welcome.
We know from reading your profile that you are open-minded, responsible, and hard-working. You love traveling and learning about other cultures. You don't have much experience, but you are a quick learner. If you'd like to send any other info about yourself, we'd be grateful! :-)
****Please let us know if it is okay to share your profile with other volunteers whose stays would overlap with yours. We vote on bringing new people into the house.*****
INFORMATION ON LONGTERM RESIDENCY:
We know from experience that a lot of people fall in love with Leipzig and decide to stay, or were looking to stay in the first place. In fact, we still have rooms available for people who are looking for an opportunity to build a life in Germany and would like to participate in an alternative house project. We are looking specifically for:
- a FEMALE person (seriously, don't ask if it's OK to be male... we are trying to achieve a balance in the house)
- around 30 years old or older (we are more flexibel on this point)
- who has an idea for her own project that she needs space for and the house can provide (for instance: building bike-machines, cargo-bikes, a repair shop, clothes repair, urban gardening, CNC-router, fablab, DIY-furniture .... sorry, no art projects) , or would like to take over an existing project in the house (i.e., the day care project, the sunday brunch) - we are interested in proposals also for short term projects (i.e., a few months)
- and/or interested in sustainability: The topics degrowth, decrecencia, sustainability, financial crisis, CSA, permaculture, peak oil etc. interest you - you want to live in an alternative environment that is concerned with finding solutions for *urban residencies* to the current problems we face in terms of financing our lives, the over-consumption of the planet's resources, ecology in general
- You could start out as a volunteer until your project generates an income for you. Or if you have a convincing business plan and project idea, you could start right away!
- feel free to share our search for this longterm opportunity with your friends!
Lastly, this is an *alternative* house project. This means you might encounter someone with long hair asking embarrassing questions about the financial system, education, food, anything. If you live with your mom, ride horses or watch television, please ask for our website address first. We are happy to provide you information about the mental dangers you face.
German, English, Spanish, French
There are 4 guest rooms in the house, which are partially renovated, but furnished and clean. Normally there is one person per room, but friends may share a large room. In the winter, heating is carried out with Victorian-era coal furnaces. There is one tiled bathroom, the other ones are in some intermediate state of renovation. There are three public WCs on other floors. There are three kitchens.
We cook mainly vegan, but there are no militant vegans in the house.
About the house:
We live in a beautiful house constructed in 1885, 15 minutes from the center of the city. We found it in 2009, abandoned, trashed, and selling cheap. Electricity and water services have been restored for the most part. About 90% of the house is now habitable. The project house includes an events space, bistro, coworking/day-care, workshop, storage spaces, three kitchens, language classes and plenty of bedrooms.
Leipzig is graciously endowed with many parks, beautiful architecture, and is surrounded by many lakes. Leipzig has an excellent tram system, and for better or for worse, you have excellent access to it from our house. Our neighborhood Lindenau, and Plagwitz, to the south, are Leipzig's alternative quarters. We participate in events hosted by allied housing projects and we host events ourselves.
When you write us, it would be very helpful if you answered the following questions:
1) From when to when are you available?
2) how long would you like to stay?
3) is it OK to send your profile to house members and other volunteers, whose stay might overlap with yours, for voting?
Thank you very much!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
My Photo Album
Klicken Sie auf ein Bild für eine größere Ansicht.
Kam nicht ("no show")
Bitte melde Dich an, um eine Bewertung abzugeben.