We are an autonomous project that provides cheap live/work space for its members, as well as services to the neighborhood.
In the Coworking space, parents can work and bring their kids along. Volunteers babysit.
** there are currently no spots available till november/december in the following project** In the Vegan Bistro/Bar, we offer vegan pizza on weekdays (sundays and mondays closed). Volunteers mainly help cleaning and shopping, sometimes man the bar or help in the kitchen. The Bistro offers pizza on donation basis on tuesdays and short science talks on thursdays. We are trying to become a center of encounter in our neighborhood. **please don't apply for this spot unless you are looking for a spot in Nov, Dec or Jan...**
We offer food and lodging in exchange for a 25 hour week*. We try to schedule two days off per week: for babysitters, they are on weekends, bistro volunteers on sunday & monday.
**PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ OUR COMPLETE LISTING BEFORE CONTACTING US**
* 2-5 hours are typical domestic tasks that you would be doing in your own apartment anyway (cooking, cleaning, shopping).
We need two volunteers as regular babysitters (10-12 AM and 1-4 PM). The babysitters ought to have experience with children aged 0-3. Basic German is helpful, but not critical. It's not possible to do this job only a few days per week, as the children need to get used to the new babysitters. **The minimum stay is 3 weeks. Please don't apply if you can't stay at least 3 weeks :-)** (two weeks exception in August! - see below)
We are currently looking for someone who can also help us starting mid-August to prepare the rooms for the opening (after our summer break) in September. It means cleaning, re-organizing, maybe renovating, moving furniture - making everything look nice again. The place was used for a different purpose during the summer break and needs to be put in order again. You could continue as a babysitter thereafter, in September, only if you can stay for another 3 weeks at least (5 week in total). Or, as an exception for this task, you could stay for only *2 weeks*
*no spots available here at the moment - pls don't apply!* - We need two volunteers who are willing to help in the kitchen of our alternative vegan bistro. The Bistro is our interface to the neighborhood and hosts events, concerts and promotes veganism.
Type of work & more information for both singles and couples:
**The guaranteed length of stay is a 3 weeks trial period with the possibility of extension if everything goes well, you like the environment and there are spots available** However, we would prefer longer stays.
Helping on weekends is not optional in this position. Per person, the schedule includes mainly cleaning & shopping. sometimes manning the bar etc. Flyering is a great way to get to know the city on your volunteering hours, however, it's not a task that happens so often.
We cook vegan in the house, so if you have experience with vegan food, that's cool, but it's not a must. If you have fairly good cooking skills, we're sure you can learn to cook vegan quickly!
The minimum length of stay is 3 weeks. Please do not apply if you can't stay for at least 3 weeks :-)
There are usually about 3-4 volunteers with us at a time. Long stays have priority over short stays. A stay shorter than 3 weeks is not possible because training and introducing people to the house takes time. Families are welcome. We eat mostly organic food! :-)
We know from reading your profile that you are open-minded, responsible, and hard-working. You love traveling and learning about other cultures. You don't have much experience, but you are a quick learner. If you'd like to send any other info about yourself, we'd be grateful! :-)
****Please let us know if it is okay to share your profile with other volunteers whose stays would overlap with yours. We vote on bringing new people into the house.*****
INFORMATION ON *LONGTERM* RESIDENCY:
We know from experience that a lot of people fall in love with Leipzig and decide to stay, or were looking to stay in the first place. In fact, we still have rooms available for people who are looking for an opportunity to build a life in Germany and would like to participate in an alternative project. We are looking specifically for:
- a FEMALE person (seriously, don't ask if it's OK to be male... we are trying to achieve a balance in the house)
- around 30 years old or older (we are more flexible on this point)
- who has an idea for her own project that she needs space for and the house can provide (for instance: building bike-machines, cargo-bikes, a repair shop, clothes repair, urban gardening, CNC-router, fablab, DIY-furniture .... sorry, no art projects) , or would like to take over an existing project in the house (i.e., the day care project, the sunday brunch) - we are interested in proposals also for short term projects (i.e., a few months)
- and/or interested in sustainability: The topics degrowth, decrecencia, sustainability, financial crisis, CSA, permaculture, peak oil etc. interest you - you want to live in an alternative environment that is concerned with finding solutions for *urban residencies* to the current problems we face in terms of financing our lives, the over-consumption of the planet's resources, ecology in general
- You could start out as a volunteer until your project generates an income for you. Or if you have a convincing business plan and project idea, you could start right away!
- feel free to share our search for this longterm opportunity with your friends!
Lastly, this is an *alternative* house project. This means you might encounter someone with long hair asking embarrassing questions about the financial system, education, food, anything. If you live with your mom, ride horses or watch television, please ask for our website address first. We are happy to provide you information about the mental dangers you face.
German, English, Spanish, French
There are 4 guest rooms in the house, which are partially renovated, but furnished and clean. Normally there is one person per room, but friends may share a large room. In the winter, heating is carried out with Victorian-era coal furnaces. There is one tiled bathroom, the other ones are in some intermediate state of renovation. There are three public WCs on other floors. There are three kitchens.
We cook mainly vegan, we have mainly organic food in the house, and there are is only one slightly militant vegan in the house (but it's OK! ;-)) We have an easy to use best-of vegan recipes book that you can use, so don't worry!
About the house:
We live in a beautiful house constructed in 1885, 15 minutes from the center of the city. We found it in 2009, abandoned, trashed, and selling cheap. Electricity and water services have been restored for the most part. About 90% of the house is now habitable. The project house includes an events space, bistro, coworking/day-care, workshop, storage spaces, three kitchens, language classes and plenty of bedrooms.
Leipzig is graciously endowed with many parks, beautiful architecture, and is surrounded by many lakes. Leipzig has an excellent tram system, and for better or for worse, you have excellent access to it from our house. Our neighborhood Lindenau, and Plagwitz, to the south, are two of Leipzig's alternative quarters. We participate in events hosted by allied housing projects and we host events ourselves.
When you write us, it would be very helpful if you answered the following questions:
1) From when to when are you available?
2) how long would you like to stay?
3) is it OK to send your profile to house members and other volunteers, whose stay might overlap with yours, for voting?
Thank you very much!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
My Photo Album
Klicken Sie auf ein Bild für eine größere Ansicht.
Kam nicht ("no show")
Bitte melde Dich an, um eine Bewertung abzugeben.