01/02/2019 - 31/12/2019
Hi, this is Ryan from Vancouver Island, Canada!
I love travelling to new places around the world, meeting new people, and immersing myself in different cultures. I've had the privilege of growing up in 5 different countries , and travelling to over 20 :) Naturally, part of my lifestyle involves constantly travelling, exploring, and broadening my understanding of the world.
Educationally speaking, I come from a technical background - completing my Bachelors and Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering from back home in Toronto. Hence I love using both my mind and my hands to create stuff :D
I also like using my knowledge and experience to help and serve the community, probably due to an amazing childhood experience growing up in Africa (Uganda) for 6 years (1 of the 5 countries I had the privilege of growing up in).
This led me to join and serve in the Canadian Military as an engineering officer after graduating from university. I had a great time serving and learning invaluable life skills that I am confident will help me in the future. I have recently moved on for professional reasons and am currently taking some planned time off to continue travelling and exploring the world.
This is where Workaway comes in :) I am excited to travel to places I haven't visited yet, meet new people, and more importantly offer valuable assistance to hosts in exchange for cultural immersion and the opportunity to meet some amazing people.
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
Apart from 5 years of professional work experience in an engineering background (some design, but mostly managerial) I've also had the privilege of serving my local community, and experiencing things outside work, which I think might be more relevant to the Workaway portfolio.
- 6 months experience volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. This involves some building and construction experience. Although I do not possess any professional qualifications in this field, I would love to help hosts with any construction, carpentry or general building efforts.
- 2 years experience in private Math and Physics Tutoring for high school kids gr 9 - 12. Would be delighted to teach or assist any host families that have kids needing help.
- I love animals, spent a lot of time in nature when I grew up in Africa. Even went on a holiday in the plains of Africa (Kenya and South Africa) where I got see all sorts of wild animals in their natural habitat. I don't have experience with farm animals, but would love to assist (milk cows, etc) if hosts are willing to teach.
- Organisational / planning / hospitality experience. Currently AirBnb ing one of the rooms in my house. I'd be interested to help any hosts that need hospitality assistance with their property (guest services, planning events, etc).
- Hospital Corners! - this was mandatory during basic training in the military :) I would be delighted to help any hosts with housekeeping services, involving cleaning or any sort of upkeep.
English, French, Hindi
Feel free to chat via Skype
Special dietary requirements