From: United Kingdom
Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe
18/01/2019 - 27/12/2019
Driving slowly around South Africa from Nov 2018 - Jan 2019.
Primarily interested in plant cultivation, permaculture & closed loop systems. My ideal workaway is a beautiful landscape where there is space to experiment with projects that make harmonious use of the land, putting back more than is taken out. Recurring project favourites are:
- composting (kitchen waste garden waste = black gold)
- soil amendment (mulch, wood chips, straw, compost etc)
- wholesale mulching to retain soil moisture & integrity
- worm farming (to produce organic fertilizer)
- growing from seed (salads, perennials, medicinal plants, shrubs, trees)
- propagation (from cuttings, air layering, grafting)
- basic hydroponics (no pump, no chemicals, Kratky type methods)
- upcycling / downcycling
- basic carpentry (building raised bed, planters, shelving units etc)
- location-based closed loop systems
Help with Eco project
Helping with Tourists
Listening. Following instructions. Conceptualizing new projects. Managing expectations. Thinking about the long-term impact. Observing nature. Responding to set-backs. Quiet leadership. Learning through action. Listening to the earth.
Irish and South African
Dual Irish/South African nationality (born in Johannesburg, raised in England).
Passionate about Africa - people, plants & wildlife.
Preference for the simple life (birds, stars, fire)
Happiest living close to the production (not consumption) portion of the supply chain.
Also a Workaway host.
Special dietary requirements