--- Hey, I didn't expect receiving so many requests from workawayers so quickly, I'm trying to reply to all the workawayers but it may take some time so please bear with me - also please note that if you speak French or Spanish it's easier for me if you to write to me in these languages ---
Hi, my name is Catherine!
I run a small hotel in Avignon and my daughter who travels through workaway made me want to open it to any enthusiastic young man or woman - or someone wherever in between - to come and help us around.
We have had this hotel for two years now and I just finished months of works of renovation and redecoration of the common areas and the rooms, one by one.
There's not much work left other than the day-to-day stuff because the hotel has 16 rooms (so quite small) and it's only ever full during the high season (in the summer, especially during the festival d'Avignon).
Therefore it's the perfect opportunity for someone who is ready to work a few hours in the day (we're quite flexible) and who wants to discover life in a nice Southern city of the French Riviera.
Préparer les repas / cuisiner pour la famille
Aider à la maison
S’occuper des animaux
Pratique d’une langue
Aide informatique / Internet
Although you will stay in the hotel, we live in the apartment right next door to it and you're most welcome to come over and spend time with us. We can make you discover the French language and culture.
Also, I'm Spanish and my husband is Peruvian (but we raised our daughters in France) so we have a lot more to share culturally speaking!
And in general, a hotel is the perfect place to get cultural exposure.
You'll also get a professional experience working with us, and learn to be proactive and answer many different situations as they arise, which can always be useful for the future.
Cet hôte offre l'hébergement et une rémunération.
Here are some of the things you may be in charge of during your stay:
- Breakfast: serve, set and clean the tables, exchange a few words with the clients if they are nice and want to talk
- Reception: be there, assist the clients, process the new bookings by phone and email
- Cleaning: very unlikely but may happen if the hotel is full one night and our cleaning lady is a bit overwhelmed the day after
- Smile, be nice!
Since we're done with upgrade works, we have a to-do list and it would be nice if you could help us with that too:
- Boost our hotel's reputation in the social networks
- Investigate ways to make our hotel more environmental-friendly
- Set up various events and projects to lighten up the day-to-day routine (we hosted an art exhibition in the common areas before and held a vernishing event for the occasion, now we were thinking of setting up shelves with books in many different languages for our French and international customers to enjoy!)
- Do the paper stuff to get us a 2nd star! (We have one star at the moment but are close to completing the requirements for 2 stars).
All your ideas are welcome! But if you just want to stick to the tasks listed above, that's fine too.
We offer you to stay in one of our single rooms!
You're welcome to share meals with us if you want to.
The hotel is located in Avignon which is known mainly for:
- The Palace of the Popes: the papacy resided here for a century when the Pope realised that Avignon was much fancier than Rome (there were a couple of political reasons too)
- The Pont d'Avignon: a gorgeous (though sadly broken) bridge famous for being featured in the French nursery rhyme "Sur le Pont d'Avignon"
Avignon is a nice medieval city entirely surrounded by walls and you can more or less get anywhere by walking, in fact, the city has very much kept its historical design with tiny pedestrian streets, cobblestones, small churches, nice parks (especially the Rocher des Doms on top of a hill) and so on.
It's full of life and culture due to its medieval tradition, it has a main opera and theatre, but lots of smaller informal theatres popped up following the creation of the festival d'Avignon.
Avignon is very conveniently situation in the heart of Provence, from which you can go on day trips within a 30km radius (the Pont du Gard, Saint Remy de Provence, Baux de Provence, Nimes, Arles, Orange, Aix-en-Provence...)
Nice and Marseille on the Mediterranean coast are also accessible by bus and train, so you can enjoy the beach as well!
Accès Internet limité
Nous avons des animaux
Nous sommes fumeurs
5 hours per day, 5 days per week and we're flexible!