Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam
01/09/2019 - 25/12/2019
Hi, we're Nabeela (Nabs) and Miqdaad (Miq)! We're a young couple from Toronto travelling the world for a year, looking to learn first hand about international cultures and lend a helping hand along the way.
We both have Indian heritage, although neither of us have lived in India. Instead, Nabs grew up in Dubai and Miq grew up in Oman. We met at university in Canada, studying engineering. After 10 years in Toronto (studying and working) we decided to take some time off to explore the world!
As we grew up in a multicultural environment we love being exposed to new cultures, learning new languages, and trying out food from all over the world. English is our first language, although we're proficient in Hindi and have dabbled in Spanish and German. In our spare time we enjoy cooking, baking, exploring nature, playing board games, and learning new things (hello rock climbing, salsa classes, surfing, and sky diving!).
The travel bug hit us early and after trying to spend our measly two weeks of vacation (in a year!) to travel, we finally decided to make the leap to long term travel and are more than halfway into our one year journey. Workaway gives us the opportunity not only to see a new place but also to immerse ourselves in it! We'd love to have a Workaway experience in South East Asia sometime in the last quarter of 2019.
We're looking forward to helping you out at home or in the garden. We're handy with tools and technology and in the kitchen as well. If there's something we don't know how to do, we're eager to learn. We consider ourselves hardworking, honest and reliable.
Here we are:
Nabs - I have background in Engineering Physics although I worked in venture capital, providing funding for technology startups. I'm passionate about scientific and technology literacy, women's rights, and the environment. I've spent several years teaching kids (8 - 18) robotics, including creating Arduino lesson plans (e.g. https://www.canadalearningcode.ca/lessons/morse-code-with-arduino/). When I'm not working I love to bake (mostly) sweet treats, read, care for plants, and be in nature.
Miq - I have a background in Biochemical Engineering and worked in the Canadian energy industry for 4 years. I am an extrovert by nature and enjoy meeting new people, cooking meals from all cuisines as well as helping out with some home renovations like painting, woodwork and assembly. When I'm not working I love to learn (from the internet), photography, play guitar, sing, and have deep discussions.
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
As engineers in a past life, we're handy with tools and always up for a challenge. We're both fluent in English, tech-savvy, and ready to get our hands dirty to help where we can. Here's more details about our skills:
- Language - We're native English speakers and can help with learning the language.
- Teaching - We have tutored math, science, and robotics to students aged 8 - 21 for over 4 years.
- Cooking - We are adventurous cooks that love making new dishes from around the world. Nabs also loves baking and sharing sweet treats.
- Gardening - We love plants and have a small indoor garden with herbs, peppers, and other plants. We're new to outdoor gardening but are happy to learn.
- Cleaning - We're organized and like to keep things tidy. Although we're happy to clean, we're not fond of cleaning washrooms.
- Technology - We're good at using technology, including phones; computers; internet and other electronics, and are happy to teach or help others.
- Repairing / Handy Work - Miq is experienced using power tools for household repairs and is handy with electrical wiring. He's fixed his backyard door, spliced cables, painted walls, and generally likes to troubleshoot situations.
- Photography - We're avid photographers and shoot with a Sony mirrorless camera and our Pixel 3. We're capturing our travel experiences at www.instagram.com/traveltangents if you'd like to view our journey so far!
26 & 26
We love to hike, play board games, cook, try new foods and learn more about local culture and history.
Special dietary requirements