From: United Kingdom
Greece, Italy, Portugal
29/09/2018 - 15/05/2020
Having maybe gone slightly mad, in September 2018 we quit our jobs, sold our house in Manchester, North England and set off travelling on a long term basis in the hope of finding somewhere new to call home.
We figure one of the best ways to get to know an area more as a resident than tourist is to work alongside locals and gain new knowledge and experiences along the way.
We are a friendly, easy going couple, use our initiative, require minimal guidance for tasks and have a strong work ethic.
We love meeting and socialising with new people and are keen to immerse ourselves in local culture.
Ideally we would like to be involved in more eco conscious projects as this is the sort of thing we would like to set up ourselves eventually.
So far we have helped at three Workaway schemes;
- First we spent five weeks at a peaceful, rustic lakeside resort in Sri Lanka where we undertook various tasks; electrical installations, painting, design and application of a wall mural, help with a new hillside path.
- Our second placement was in Malaysia, for two weeks at a small hotel. Again we took on various tasks; reception duties, electrical installations, weatherproof boarding a bamboo hut, construction of a weatherproof shelter over a rooftop stairway.
- Finally we helped for two weeks at a glamping and dorm resort on a Cambodian island. Once again we helped with various tasks; housekeeping, lighting installations, rewiring, painting, cooking, ground clearance, gardening, online content.
Between us we have a range of skills, gained from work experience and recreational activities;
- For eight years Ruth worked in river flood defence, which was a physical outdoor role, in all weathers
- Graham worked for over ten years as a builder, electrician and plumber
- Ruth has spent a number of years working in hospitality, as a waitress, barista, bar tender and front of house manager
- More recently Graham spent a number of years in aviation security, which carries a lot of responsibility and the need to keep a cool head in stressful situations!
- Ruth is a keen home cook, who cooked every day at home and loves trying new recipes/ingredients
- We are both proficient with a paint brush! Before selling our house we carried out repairs, maintenance and a full re-paint both inside and out
- We both enjoy gardening and landscaping
- We love spending time in the outdoors, whether it's hill walking, camping or just swinging on a hammock reading a book
In addition to all the above, we aren't afraid of new challenges and are always keen to learn new skills.
We have no fixed plans for our travel itinerary, so can be flexible with dates.
If you have any questions or would like to offer us a Workaway opportunity we would love to hear from you.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
I am trained and certified in chainsaw operation, pole strimmer operation, safe use of pesticides, basic first aid.
Graham has been trained in electric installation and repair.
39 & 38
Some plants, codeine
Special dietary requirements