From: United Kingdom
29/09/2018 - 15/05/2020
Having maybe gone slightly mad, in September 2018 we quit our jobs, sold our house in Manchester, North England and set off travelling in the hope of finding somewhere new to call home.
We figure one of the best ways to get to know an area more as a resident than tourist is to work alongside locals and gain new knowledge and experiences along the way.
We are a friendly, sociable, easy going couple, use our initiative, require minimal guidance for tasks and have a strong work ethic.
During our travels we have helped at a number of Workaway projects;
- for five weeks in Sri Lanka at a rustic lakeside resort we undertook electrical installations, painting, designed and applied a wall mural, helped construct a stone pathway
- for two weeks in Malaysia we again took on various tasks; reception duties, electrical installations, weatherproof boarding of a bamboo hut, construction of a weatherproof shelter over a rooftop stairway
- for two weeks at a glamping resort on a Cambodian island we helped with housekeeping, lighting installations, rewiring, painting, cooking, ground clearance, gardening, online content
- for two weeks at an eco centre in Bulgaria we undertook treework, ground clearance, fence building, fabricated a new well lid, small maintenance tasks, cooking
- for three weeks in Portugal we helped at a small family run resort and undertook lighting installations, firewood preparation, small construction projects, painting, gardening and small maintenance jobs around the house.
Between us we have a range of skills, gained from work experience and recreational activities;
- Graham worked for over ten years as a builder, electrician and plumber
- For eight years Ruth worked in river flood defence, which was a physical outdoor role, in all weathers
- Ruth has spent a number of years working in hospitality, as a waitress, barista, bar tender and front of house manager
- Ruth is a keen home cook and loves trying new recipes/ingredients
- We both enjoy gardening and landscaping
- We love spending time in the outdoors, whether it's hill walking, camping or just swinging on a hammock reading a book.
In addition to all the above, we aren't afraid of new challenges and are always keen to learn new skills.
We have no fixed plans with our travel itinerary, so can be flexible with dates. Ideally we look to spend about two weeks at each work exchange, but can be flexible depending on the work and how things pan out with our hosts!
If you have any questions or would like to offer us a Workaway opportunity we would love to hear from you.
Ruth is trained and certified in chainsaw operation, pole strimmer operation, safe use of pesticides, basic first aid.
Graham has been trained in electric installation and repair.
40 & 39
Some plants, codeine
Special dietary requirements