Favourited 89 times
We are a Portuguese/South Tyrolian couple with a small son. Our farm is 16 hectares and filled with olive trees, fruit trees, and wilderness.
We have a son (almost five years) who needs (a) playmate(s), and a farm overflowing with fruit and vegetables. So we are looking for friendly volunteers to play with our son and and carry out some farm work (weeding, picking fruits and vegetables, processing fruits and vegetables).
Our son speaks German and Portuguese, and a little English. We follow a parenting philosophy in which the child is respected, there are no punishments, consequences, or reward systems. Our son also doesn't watch TV or movies but enjoys being read to.
Our volunteer accommodation comprises two connected rooms (3 beds in total) with a bathroom. We are happy to welcome families - we can provide (an) additional bed(s)/cot for children. We like to integrate our volunteers into our family - we cook and eat together, and are happy for the occasional chat.
Useful things to know about our farm:
- Our farm is at about 5 km from the nearest town. It is possible to walk to the town - it takes about 40 minutes, mainly uphill.
- We have a large fountain to splash in (and do minimal swimming) in summer
- In summer and autumn we have plenty of organic fruit and vegetables to pick from our gardens
- Summers are very hot (> 35 degrees during the day) and always sunny. Sun screen, hats, and protective clothing are highly recommended.
- The farm is at its most beautiful in spring - millions of wildflowers everywhere. Everything is green and lush. There can be a lot of rain in spring, and the weather can be either chilly or hot... you never know what to expect!
- The nearest town, Castelo de Vide, is a medieval town with an old castle. It's a very picturesque place and well worth a visit. It also has plenty of shops, cafes, and restaurants.
- There is an alternative community centre in Castelo de Vide (Casa Fluxus), which offers workshops and events. Information can be found on Facebook.
- We have sheep dogs, cats, and sheep on the farm, and one house cat (our lovely fluffy Minka).
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
Almut has travelled extensively and loves meeting new people and sharing travel experiences. Castelo de Vide is in a very traditional region of Portugal, and the life here is interesting to experience. A very experienced local farmer keeps his sheep on our farm and is very interesting to talk to (if you speak Portuguese; but he is welcoming to everyone!). Rui is happy to speak Portuguese with you if you want to learn the language; Almut is equally fluent in German and English.
- Babysitting our son Lucas (almost 5 years old)
- Farm help (gardening, fruit picking, fruit drying, light construction help when needed)
Our volunteer accommodation comprises two connected rooms (3 beds in total) with a bathroom. We are happy to welcome families - we can provide (an) additional bed(s)/cot for children.
Castelo de Vide is a picturesque town set in a beautiful landscape. The town has an old castle, an old Jewish quarter, several old churches, beautiful ancient fountains, and plenty of restaurants and cafés.
The next town over in Marvão, an equally picturesque but smaller town with castles. It's a very worthwile day trip.
Another medieval town in the vicinity is Alegrete.
Spain (Extremadura region) is just around the corner, and Badajoz and Caceres are two beautiful towns to visit.
Our natural environment is amazing! In winter everything is green, as it tends to rain regularly. In spring of wildflowers emerge everywhere - the variety is mindblowing. In summer the landscape turns brown, but the olive and cork trees provide the much-needed green colour (and shade!). The temperatures are quite high, and we work outside mainly in the mornings and evenings, as the sun gets just too hot! Autumn floods us with fruits and our farm feels like paradise where you can pick fruits off trees and plants almost anywhere you go.
There are many hiking trails around Castelo de Vide - one of them connects our farm to the town (about 40 minutes), one connects Castelo de Vide and Marvão (about 3 hours).
There are two lakes and one river nearby where you can swim/canoe/etc.
There is a cultural/arts centre in Castelo de Vide called Casa Fluxus, which offers everything from yoga to massage to knitting meetings. Several venues in the area offer live music in the evenings, and there are frequent art exhibitions in Portalegre (about 25 km from Castelo de Vide).
The region around Castelo de Vide / Marvão / Valencia de Alcantara (Spain) is home to a large and vibrant alternative community. On Saturdays alternative markets take place in the towns, in which organic products are sold and a communal lunch is offered.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week