Do you want to delve deeper into Russian culture, literature, and history rather than just visit it as a tourist? Want to hang out with locals among Moscow pubs or open-air sight and practice the Russian language in its real atmosphere? Wouldn't you prefer to discover the natural sights or historical spots of Moscow's famed 'golden ring' in the company of locals?
My name is Dim. I'm originally from the Moscow area and I've recently come back from an amazing 2-year trip around the world. I've traveled as a backpacker, stayed with locals, volunteered in many countries and had a chance to visit incredible places while getting a one-of-a-kind, unique experience which I would have never gotten without the help of kind, local people and other independent travelers. My mind has opened, preconceived stereotypes have collapsed, and I’ve started to look beyond the borders.
When I arrived back home, I decided to share my experience. You’ll be surprised that 80% of Russians have never been abroad and have never talked to a foreign person in their life! This is how the idea of International Language Exchange Café appeared.
Here, foreign travelers can feel at home, stay for an extended period to learn Russian culture, explore Moscow and nearby cities in a group of international and local friends.
Our goal is to provide a friendly and open-minded environment where our local guests can practice English conversation, cultural and foreign language exchanges, have fun, and make friends through conversation, games, and events at our café.
You need to be able to speak English confidently because your primary duty will be to facilitate English conversation with café guests. You will have access to many games at the café to assist you with this activity but you will be surprised at how easily you can talk with guests as they will have many questions for you.
Help in the house
• You will learn a lot about Russia. Our guests are interested in talking about a range of topics and you really will learn more about Russia than you could in any other place.
• We provide volunteers with regular Russian class and occasional indoor/outdoor activities
• Volunteers can share travel information between each other and make plans about common trips to Saint Petersburg, Sochi and other Russian cities together
What We Expect when visiting our café:
• Speaking with Russian guests at our cafe for a total of 3 hours a day : we have no curriculum so you need to be a very social person who is good at communicating and able to change your speech pattern to fit the customer's unique level of comprehension
• Should be easy to get along with others and live in close quarters with others; good personal hygiene is a must for this job as you will be talking with people everyday and living with many others
• The cafe atmosphere is laid-back and informal as volunteers are not expected to prepare any teaching materials or formal lesson. While you are talking with Russian friends, you can help them improve their English with correcting their errors or pronunciation, suggesting good expressions, teaching vocabulary or grammar, force them to use idioms and so on
• Ages 18-35
• Fluent English conversation ability (priority to native English speakers)
• Recommended Stay: 1 month (30 days) (tourist visa support if needed)
• Professional conduct, excellent personal hygiene, sociable and friendly
We have a hostel style accommodation which is just 20 minutes away by metro from the cafe. A bunk bed in the shared room is provided for each volunteer at our dormitory-style shared apartment.
• Accommodation - bed, bedding, personal lockers
• Laundry machine, cooking utensils, bowls and dishes, refrigerator, and hair dryer
• WiFi in your dorm
• Weekdays off
• One of a kind experience in Russia where you will make life long friends and be able to learn all about Russian culture!
We are located near one of the main and biggest park of Moscow - VDNKH. It's 20min away from Red Square by metro. Here is bunch of well-known museums, bars, restaurants
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
3 hours per day, 5-6 days a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: