We are a boarding school for Danish young adults (18+), who have faced a difficult background due to the unhealthy family relations, substance abuse, mental disorders etc. They are young people, who come across as any other young people, without visible difficulties. By living in our boarding school, they have a safe supportive environment, to pursue their developmental and academical goals at their own pace, with support from the team of teachers & pedagogues.
Our boarding school is part of an international school center. We share our campus together with international teacher training college, day school, care homes, and a climate center and we are surrounded by forests and nature. All that makes our surroundings very international and diverse.
Since establishing our boarding school in 1999, we have welcomed international volunteers to stay with us. As a host, we are looking to be more, than a place to sleep. The international volunteers are the core of an exciting environment, with their positive attitude, open-mindedness, curiosity and strive to try and learn new things and skills! We value our guests and volunteers highly because they become friends and role models for our young students with less fortunate past.
Our students need a safe and stable environment. Therefore due to the pedagogical reasons, we require minimum stay to be 3 months at least.
We invite You to be part of our lifestyle, where there are rarely two days exactly the same! :)
As an alternative, our boarding school has positions for international scholarship students. It is an opportunity for You, who are looking for:
- get a pedagogical experience in Denmark via youth work & social work
- be part of developmental work and academical process for youth with special needs
- get familiar with 'best buddy' concept of pedagogy
- Part of organizing international events in the fields of theatre, sports, education, activism etc
During your stay as an international scholarship student:
- You'll be part of the day school program and help our students with studies
- You are joining the study travels within Denmark and abroad (Philippines, Malaysia, Malawi etc)
- Have a Danish tax card and social insurance
- study for A-levels or pedagogical specialization (in Danish)
- Minimum stay 8 months (admission year-round)
- Willingness to learn basic Danish (you'll get support)
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
An international and friendly atmosphere with many social activities and campaigns ( community projects to create a better world, Organising Peace Conference, Climate Justice Conference, activities to welcome refugees and much more.)
Volunteers will get experience working in an international community, event management, as well as develop skills by working together with a dedicated team of teachers.
No alcohol or drugs permitted on the campus.
Our doors are open to Workaway'ers, who take traveling and meeting people as a learning experience. Our international environment is diverse in activities and there's something for everyone. Do you like to try different things and live in an international community? - We require help in having an active and exciting lifestyle! Here's what You can expect during your stay with us!
- Cooking: We live in a colorful international community. We have a kitchen rota and cook meals together, for each other and have our meals together over nice conversations.
- Cleaning&Dishwashing: Our community is our home. And We take care of our home. Our students, teachers, volunteers, guests, together are part of keeping our home nice and tidy.
- Being A Friend: Our boarding school is a home for young adults, who have experienced difficulties in the past in a form of complicated family relations, drugs&alcoholism, certain psychological challenges etc. Would You like to be a positive influence in their lives and share your time and skills with our students? Your positive vibes are all that is needed to help! :)
- Practical Tasks: We have multiple facilities and a vast amount of nature around us. There's always something to take care of. You can be helping us out with firewood production to survive cold winter days. Help with repairing, painting, restoring rooms&facilities. Cutting grass in warmer days etc. You don't need to be an expert. Learning by doing is our motto. You never regret learning and trying new things :)
- Green Initiatives: Our community in nature have multiple gardens and a greenhouse. Help us maintain the gardens and grow our own delicious food. Maybe you know cool gardening techniques to share or would like to learn about ecological gardening? :) Our campus is a home for the first modern windmill, which produces wind energy on our campus. Would you like to help with mechanics and maintenance of engine and wings? :)
- Have Fun!: Our school center is a campus, which forms a community of international students, volunteers, and care homes. You will be invited to take part in sports activities as Zumba, volley, football, badminton etc. Be part of cultural activities & games at Tuesday Cafe. Grab the popcorn and enjoy a smart movie during movie night at our own cinema on our campus! Join us for the trip to the beach or maybe some other town in Denmark over the weekend. Or have a cozy bonfire with other international students and volunteers. :)
English, Danish, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Lithuanian
Single room with shared bathroom.
Good food - we grow our own organic vegetables.
Minimum stay: 3 months
Long-term volunteers (6 - 12 months) need to be EU residents. Another option is to have a Working Holiday visa (available for citizens of NZ, Australia, Canada, South Korea, Japan...)
Long-term volunteers are offered to participate in excursions. Working clothes provided.
Good facilities on site: sports hall, gym, bicycles, music studio, cross fit center, beach volleyball court, climbing wall, cinema, pool table, art room... Horses in the summer...
Great nature around the corner: forests, rivers great for fishing or canoeing, moors and beach.
Rules: Strictly no alcohol, no drugs on the premises.
In the nearest towns, you can find a swimming pool, great shopping opportunities, kite surfing facilities, concert venues...
The train station is 4 kilometers away. You can get a lift there, no problem.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours per day plus participation in house work and sports / social life at the school.