We are a small company, operating outdoor adventure activities in Gopeng, Perak, Malaysia.
Our mission now is we want to promote and share Gopeng with the world. Gopeng is a small place with so many interesting areas and attractions. We are hoping to develop Gopeng as a tourism destination which could benefits the local people. We need a good team to join together to make Gopeng known to the world. Join us and let's give back to the community.
We provide adventure services such as white water rafting, waterfall abseiling, cave exploration, mountaineering, outdoor team building and event management. We have a small camping site, where we live together with our crews of about five. We built the eco-friendly campsite including the landscaping, storage building, rooms, kitchen, and bathrooms primarily with recycled and repurposed materials. Our business is not entirely about profit, it's more about our love for the great outdoors and helping locals and friends by providing employment opportunities. There is also plenty of work that can be done around the campsite, so you can work wherever your skill-sets are best utilised.
Another project is our new guest house and cafe in Gopeng Town (opposite the bus station). This is the only guesthouse in Gopeng. We have a small cafe serving the guests and open for public too. Upstairs, we have rooms for travellers made using woods and recycled materials.
Another project which we are working now is a community and conservation project whereby it is fully funded by our Guesthouse and Cafe and our adventure company. Here,we offer FREE English class, art and recycling programs, outdoor learning, organic gardening and nature conservation. For this project,the minimum time to volunteer is 1 month.
We are also working on a small souvenir shop for people to buy something as souvenir from from Gopeng which we assembles locals' work.
Be part of us and let's watch Gopeng grow and make others happy :)
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Gopeng is rich in terms of culture and heritage. People from different races live here including the Orang Asli. We could show you around and explain about our culture. At the same time, you will have the chance to eat our local food, and learn to speak local language.
As of now we're in desperate need of:
1) Videographer/ photographer
You need to capture moments and create videos of our guests, activities, nature. We are also working on an event, which is rafting race. Therefore we need somebody to help us in creating promo videos.
2) Website designer
We need someone who can design attractive websites for our adventure company and guesthouse using wordpress
We need people with creative minds to help decorate the rooms and walls in the guest house and cafe. A graffiti artist or someone skilled in painting medium to large scale murals would be greatly appreciated. The theme is focused around recycled materials and outdoor adventure.
Help us to design brochure, flyers, T- shirt, business card, map of Gopeng for other travelers to use in AI format. We need creative mind and awesome hands
5) Carpenter/ construction/ handyman of any kind
Building tables, chairs, shelves, art, anything you think may benefit the company. Recently a couple from Germany built a large hut entirely out of bamboo collected at the campsite. We love ideas like that and we'd also like to learn more about building with mud and clay.
6) Gardener and maintenance works (1 person): Green fingers are welcomed! Help us to make the areas greener by planting vegetables/ plants while at the same time keep the surrounding areas tidy. Other tasks are such as watering plants, take care of the plants, clean the areas/ toilets etc.
To perform at the cafe in order to make the environment lively and at the same time you could earn tips from people who watch.
8) Help at the guesthouse such as cleaning, housekeeping, taking and delivering food orders, helps in the kitchen, washing dishes and at our small new souvenir shop
Even though everybody has his/ her own tasks, as a family, please help with other simple things such as ensuring the place clean, tidying, sweeping or other work such as the following:
- Being part of the support crew such as a driver, a guide, or just help loading and unloading the equipment during events
- Help us cleaning
- Guesthouse personnel to receive booking, do the maintenance and housekeeping and serving food
- Online marketing and advertising.
- Able to conduct a language class (any language) which is opened to public for FREE or organizing any events
- Construction of any kind
Requirements to become a volunteer:
1. No experience needed. Just your genuine interest and enthusiasm
2. Be humble, hardworking and respect the culture here
3. Minimum period of volunteering is one month. However, the extension is depends on your attitude.
4. Majority of the community here are Moslem and Buddhists. Therefore, it is appreciated if you could show some respect by wearing modesty clothes and avoid revealing clothes.
5. Since the weather here is very hot, please take shower frequently. Otherwise, your body will produce unpleasant odour which make the surrounding people feel uneasy. Taking shower often will make you fresh. Also keep your nail short and clean and tidy hair as you will be in the kitchen. Wearing the same clothes without changing everyday will produce unpleasant smell.
6. A simple background/ resume about yourself is needed. Please outline your interest and skills.
3. Tours/ activities around the area
Not required, but preferred:
1. Be a self-starter. Most days there will not be a set plan or schedule that will be passed down to you. You should take notice of what needs to be done and take the initiative. Every volunteer has great ideas and we're really looking forward to hearing about yours.
English and Malay
Our campsite is situated on the Kampar River in the lush green forest of Malaysia, surrounded by many trees including durian trees, rubber trees, and palm oil trees. This is where most of the volunteers stay. Beds are limited, so if there are no beds available, a campsite, tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, and pillow will be provided. Water and toiletries will be provided and electricity is available around sunset. Depending on the circumstances, you have to sleep at the guest house or our community project base.
Don't worry about the food, we provide the ingredients and you have to prepare by yourself, sometimes with the crews. Just let us know ahead of time if you have any food allergies or a specific diet you follow and we'll do our best to serve you. No vegetarian food.
There is no Wi-Fi at the campsite. A funny slogan we have is "No Wi-Fi, No Worries," but if you're desperate, there is decent cellular service at the campsite and the crew can turn on their hotspot.
What you do during your time off is totally up to you. You can enjoy a swim in the river, take the bicycle and go around Gopeng, explore the nearby cave, or take a hike to watch the sunset. Every weekend there are plenty of events going on which you're more than welcome to take part in for free. This includes white water rafting, kayaking, waterfall abseiling, jungle trekking, and the list goes on. However, of course you have to check with our crews first. The famous Cameron Highlands is only about an hour and a half away if you want to make a trip up there. Also, Kuala Lumpur is only two hours away by bus and Ipoh is only 30 minutes away if you feel inclined to explore either of those larger cities. The bus is just in front of our guesthouse.
You'll quickly find out that we're pretty laid back and we truly do want you to enjoy your time here . We'd love for you to learn about our culture and we're excited to learn about yours. Although people in the past tried to take advantage of our cheerful and giving nature, we believe most people are not like that and we'll continue to leave our doors open to volunteers who want to help better our company as well as our community.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
6 days a week