My boyfriend and I moved out to the Namibian Deep South to set up Oana Namibia two years ago, and we've built a tented base camp from which we run adventure conservation expeditions. We are based on Oana Nature Reserve which is a private reserve of 110,000 acres of stunning semi-desert wilderness that includes both igneous and metamorphic mountain ranges, sandy and gravel plains and 50km of Orange River frontage. The reserve bridges the Nama Karoo and Succulent Karoo Biomes that is one of the world's 25 biodiversity hotspots mainly due to the incredible array of plants that exist here for a semi-desert environment. Our aim is to re-wild the reserve and re-introduce species which have been hunted out, to study what amazing fauna and flora the is here already and to provide a model for conservation that incorporates adventure and extreme sports. We're looking for friendly outdoorsy jokers to join us!
We are looking for people to help us upgrade our base camp to build on its bedouin feel, construction work, getting our permaculture going, getting stuck in to reserve management. After work hours and in your free time you have the freedom to explore in any direction! You will also be able to join us on our hikes and adventure activities in your free time. Base camp has an awesome homely feel and we're looking for folk to join us who are like minded.
Help with Eco project
Help with Computers / internet
You will be in the heart of the Nama Karoo, you will experience everything from Afrikaans farming culture to local Nama tribe
You will also be able to join us on our hikes and adventure activities in your free time. Base camp has an awesome homely feel and we're looking for folk to join us who are like minded.
We are after someone who is happy living and operating in a remote location. Someone who is happy camping, cooking on the fire and living in a tented base camp. Whilst in basecamp sometimes meals will be cooked for you, sometimes we will all cook together. The elements can be full on here but it is pure, raw nature in one of the last great wildernesses in Africa.
At the moment we have a number of jobs that require specific skills (these jobs are listed below) and we are also open to having people who are keen to get stuck in to the everyday work that happens on the reserve. This includes:
Picking up scrap and rubbish that was left over when the land was a farm,
Cutting down and burning invasive trees,
Taking down and collecting old farm fences,
Water point construction & maintenance,
Track building (for 4x4 & mountain bike),
Biodiversity surveys (insects, plants, birds, reptiles, small mammals),
Assisting wildlife researchers,
Digging micro basins
Specific Skills Jobs:
1. WEB DESIGNER, SOCIAL MEDIA, DIGITAL MARKETING, GRAPHIC DESIGNER
- We are looking for someone to come and stay with us and boost our online profile and following and look to boost business. Someone who has experience in this field and can work with us to increase bookings for our 2019 expeditions.
2. PIZZA OVEN
- Someone who has built and knows how to build a pizza oven
- We are looking for someone who has experience in permaculture design and can help set up a system for us at base camp
- We are looks for an artist to come and stay and give our base camp all the beautiful creativity you can, there is a thousand ways to give camp small or big touches that improve the feel of the place and we can give you pretty much free licence.
- We are building a new kitchen and bedrooms, we are looking for someone with experience in construction but particularly someone who has knowledge in natural building techniques using organic materials.
We live in a tented base camp, there are large 4mx4m sleeping tent pods available for guests, we have a 7mx14m stretch or octopus tent which is our mess, kitchen, hot/cold water shower facilities, flushing loos, Wi-Fi available for limited hours a day, Food will be cooked by our chef, 3 meals a day and food will be provided by us.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week