We are middle aged Polish couple, Gienek and Basia. We have a 6 Ha of Ecological farm about 50km north of Krakow, almost half way between Krakow and Kielce. We grow fruits (a small orchard) vegetables and some cereals. We also have poultry, two dogs and some cats. We aim to produce good quality products for ourselves, local markets and some regular customers.
The farm is located in beautiful Polish country side surrounded by forests and rolling hills. It is located in a small village (Cisie), which is more of a Hamlet than a village. The nearest shop is in a small town called Ksiaz Wielki, about 7 km from the farm. There is a larger town 14km from farm called Miechow, which has a lovely swimming pool, a very beautiful and historical church and many stores.
To go to Krakow, you could either take a Bus from Miechow, or a train from a local station called Tunel. Tunel is about 10km from the farm.
We generally make a couple of trips to Miechow a week or every other day to Ksiaz Wielki. We will be very happy to give you a lift to either town, when we go.
Often, one of us will not be on the farm as we visit our son in England or daughter in France.
We speak only Polish, however, one of our neighbours (also on workaway as host, "ardeshir") speaks English. In addition, we could also skype our son or daughter and between them they speak, English, German, French and Italian.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
We are looking for energetic volunteers who could help us with general farm and house work:
1) Sowing and planting
2) Weeding (plenty of weeding as we do not use any chemicals)
3) Picking fruits and vegetables and packing
4) Cutting and chopping wood for kitchen and central heating,starting of kitchen stove (wood burner) and centeral heating (wood burner)
5) Preparing feed for animals and feeding them (poultry, dogs and cats)
6) Cleaning chicken shed and laying new straw for the poultry
7) Help with pruning and cleaning (1 ha) of orchard
8) General cleaning in the house, washing up dishes after meals, help with cooking, keeping room and bathroom clean and tidy.
9) Help with general building work, like putting up fence, decorating rooms, laying paths, etc.
We do not expect volunteers to do everything mentioned in the list above every day. But it is essential that you are willing to help in all sorts of jobs. Once you have been with us for a day or two, we can make a timetable of jobs to be done by you, depending on what suits you.
We would like volunteers to work at least 4 days a week about 5 hours a day. However, please note this is farm work and a lot depends on weather. If the weather is good and something needs doing, you may have to work more hours, and in return you will work less hours on other days.
In our house we have a spare room (see photo) with a double matress. The room has lovely views of the rolling hills and forest. It is heated and has WiFi. Please note that our computer is also in this room and from time to time we will need to come in to use the computer.
There is a bathroom which you will share with us.
In our attic, we have a half finished room. If you experience of DIY and would like to complete the decorating and final touches to the room, we will be very happy for you to do it and use it as your room.
There is a washing machine which you may use.
In return for your kind help we will provide you with
1) Warm and comfortable room
2) Breakfast, lunch and dinner
3) in addition to taking you to Miechow or Ksiaz Wielki when we go, we will also be happy to take you to Tunel station or Miechow bus stop ONCE a week, and pick you up, if you wish to go to Krakow.
4) As mentioned one of our neighbours also has volunteers, there will be ample oppturnity for you all to get together and socialise.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week