I live in the USA but I am remodeling a house on the beach on the island of Trinidad that I plan on using in the near future as my winter home. I need someone to house sit many times during the year when I'm not there. I am of retirement age and live alone so it would be nice to have company and share my Caribbean beach house with many people.
This is an unusual request but here are some of the benefits that awaits you on the island of Trinidad. I have already remodeled the ground floor just need new kitchen and appliances plus new beds so it will be a few months before it’s ready for guests. I’m looking more towards the winter for this year. Hopefully by then it should be up and ready. There is a security system but no internet is available on the beach right now. You can go into town about 20 mins away by taxi $5 TT per person each way. (1 US $ = $6 TT.)
PLEASE NOTE! Presently Trinidad has close all its borders because of COVID 19
Keep checking for updates as I will add them as I know more.
This is now only open to all workaways that are already on the island until further notice.
DIY and building projects
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
1) You get to explore an amazing island with very friendly beautiful people and because the beach is used mostly by locals you get to experience true island people and culture.
2) If you want you can stay as long as you wish the house has 6 bedrooms and I do not want to be there by myself.
3) You can study the leather back turtles from about April thru August. Watch the egg laying process which is one hour long and will make you a turtle lover and you will want to protect them
4) There are other beaches close by and are all different so you can change up your scenery and meet new friends
5) you can get a real long lasting tan and lots of vitamin D
6) One US $ gets you $6.40 so your dollar goes further
7) I have people on the island and close by that will assist you anytime and pick you up at the airport.
The only expectations of my guests will be:
1) Sweep the yard and beach front everyday
2) secure my home and belongings while you stay there
3) protect and watch over the baby leather back turtles as they are hatched and return them safely to the sea when appropriate so that they do not become prey to dogs, birds and humans
4) I prefer to host couples or more at the same time so one does not get lonely since its a somewhat quiet beach. No shops or activities close by. Taxis are available easily.
5) I provide room but no food since I'm not there when you are there but food is fairly inexpensive on the island
6) no skills necessary but a love for the beach, the Caribbean life and people, and a great love for the ocean and the leather back turtles will be helpful.
7) Manage projects that Im working on like a new kitchen, delivery from the furniture store with beds, stove etc.
Here are some special projects I have at hand to complete because my local caretaker has just fallen unexpectedly ill and may never return to work since he might be on chemo.
1) Landscaping design and supervision( I pay for all equipment and materials) I need someone to design and supervise the project
2) measure the kitchen and help me order new cupboards and equipment like stove etc. There is a kitchen there now but I want new
3) receive the orders of furniture from the department store. I can purchase online from the US
Simple but clean beds,linens, showers and basic kitchen in a large concrete house directly on the Atlantic Ocean. I only provide room but NO FOOD and NO PAY since I'm not there when you are but food is pretty inexpensive on the island. If you like the island and we get along you are welcome to stay longer or come back anytime there is an opening. I need most of the year filled since I live in the USA and will only visit in the winter.
You can have all the time off to discover the island all I ask is that you sweep the yard and beach front everyday and pick up any sea debris,weeds and secure my belongings. Keep an eye on maintenance needed if any. I have someone who will handle any issues or fix anything. You can party but absolutely NO DRUGS! I am just looking for a house sitter.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week