Hi everyone! I'm a journalist / writer / entrepreneur that's always had a passion for historic castles/chateaus. In my day job, I write about innovation, tech companies, and successful entrepreneurs. But anyone who knows me will tell you my real passion is for historic houses.
My goal with Workaway is to learn French in an immersion environment while helping/learning how to renovate or restore a historic castle/chateau. Eventually, I plan to buy/restore a chateau for myself, so I consider this learning as much as having fun.
I grew up in a family that renovated houses and moved onto the next one, so I've been exposed to pretty much everything in a typical house renovation - sanding, painting, drywalling, gardening, electrical/plumbing (watched and helped, not done it myself), etc. We've also always had dogs and cats, so I know a bit about caring for family animals.
When I'm not working, I'd need wifi as I'll likely be taking some Google/Skype calls, submitting article drafts, and managing my business remotely for a couple hours a day.
Beyond that, I am an explorer, love walking, and am more than happy to help anyone practice their English language skills (bonus if you can help me practice/learn French in return).
A bit more about me:
- I was born and raised in Canada (in the country near Toronto), but am half-Greek and the other half a mix of Irish/Scottish with a smattering of northern Italian
- I studied sociology in undergrad with a focus on workplace/office culture
- After university, I started two businesses in Toronto - a recruiting business (failed) and a media company (running it now)
- I'm also a freelance journalist in Toronto covering technology and innovation
- I'm pretty active on Twitter as well (https://twitter.com/stefanpalios) where you see a whole lot of what I do in Toronto
- Cleaning/removing wallpaper
- Website setup (wordpress, squarespace, and wix)
- General maintenance
- Carrying/moving things
I've lived in the US and Canada, but have solo travelled around Europe, North Africa, and Australia in the past so I am comfortable in new settings (and places where I don't know the native language).
As a writer and entrepreneur, I've set up multiple sites using Wordpress, Wix, and Squarespace. While not a coder, I know the general features of these platforms and would be happy to offer guidance or help.
I love kids and pets, so no worries there. While my goal with Workaway is to learn the ropes of renovation/restoration and to learn French, I try to be as helpful as possible so helping with kids / animals is definitely possible
No dietary restrictions or requirements