Paar / zwei Freunde
Indien, Kambodscha, Kanada, USA
24.09.2016 - 01.01.2022
unterwegs auf Reisen
Thanks for checking out our profile!
My husband Ian and I are interested in working away!
A bit about us:
We are from Canada, born and raised. We have been travelling since the end of September 2016, and have plans to continue on until further notice....
Since September 2016, we have been to the following countries: USA, New Zealand, Bali (Indonesia), Singapore, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Uganda and Tanzania and Hong Kong. We also did some paid ESL teacher work in mainland China for almost two years.
We have been together since 2008, and we got married June 2016. We didn't have much of a wedding so that we could go on this big trip instead - which in theory could be considered our honeymoon.
Because we want to make a difference in this world, we have vowed to do a work away in almost every country we are visiting. We are not the "resort"/rich guy type. We want to learn about your culture and community, what your life is like, and take part in the human experience. That being said, we are not interested in staying with anyone that is a racist, bigot, nationalist, or anything else that involves being unsupportive of ALL of the worlds inhabitants.
Prior to our trip, we were both working in the telecommunications industry.
We are both native English speakers, and Sam speaks french fluently (though is a bit out of practice)....
We are both animal lovers, enjoy taking care of ourselves (both health and fitness) and love a good challenge.
Ian and I have a lot to offer our potential hosts in exchange for the generosity of sharing your time with us.
- We are both. yoga teachers who have completed 200HR RYT (yoga teacher training) in India in April 2017, and are passionate practitioners! Ian is a handstand and inversion pro and has supplementary training in "spine management and yoga for back pain". Sam has supplementary training in pre and post natal yoga.
- We are both very passionate about permaculture, farming, sustainable living, natural building, plant based medicine and food, and all things "natural" and holistic. We have had experience at past Workaways working on permaculture farms/gardens, with natural building techniques and have attended a seminar on an overview of earthships a while back, but feel there is always more to learn.
- Ian greatly enjoys physical labour/manual work (karma yoga) and excels at it! Sam likes it as well, but definitely not as much as Ian does. :-)
- Both of us are TESOL certified English teachers, though do not have bachelor's degrees. We have two years teaching experience, with students ranging from 2.5 years old - 20 years old +.
- We both have done both bar tending, reception, waiting tables and housekeeping in the past. We have both worked at hostels via workaway. Sam has had paid work in the hotel industry in the past, and am "Servepro" certified (able to serve alcohol in Canada).
- Sam is experienced in most things "computer" - web design, social media, data entry, blogging, etc. Ian is great with hands on technicial problems.
- Ian enjoys practicing martial arts, specifically Muay Thai and has around 8 years of experience including training in Thailand.
- Ian has a college degree in telecommunications.
- Sam has graduated from a postpartum doula course, pre-natal yoga class and has studied pregnancy and baby care and massage both in India and Thailand. She is also studying to become a childbirth educator. She also has a lot of experience with childcare, though we are both great with kids.
- Sam has experience in animal care (her mom used to breed dogs.)
- We are a great cooking team! (Sam is the (vegan) creative, Ian is the planner)
- Friendly, enthusiastic people with great attitudes who are ready and willing to learn!
We both have a dream to build a beautiful permaculture set up, complete with a yoga studio, cafe and naturally built home. We're not sure when that dream is going to happen, or where it will be located, but we'd love to gain experience relevant to our dream. We try to spend our free time doing self study.
We thank you for taking the time to read about us - We hope to hear from you if you think we'd be a good fit. :)
To name just a few: computer skills, teaching english, childcare, physical/manual labour, gardening, general renovations, cooking, cleaning, customer service, yoga, and much more. :)
31 & 39
Sam is vegan, but can go vegetarian.
Ian is vegetarian, but can go vegan.
Ian is allergic to cats but is ok as long as they are outside cats.
Ian is allergic to cats indoors
Sam is a vegan, Ian a vegetarian