PLEASE, READ THE WHOLE ADVERTISING BEFORE EMAILING
We have a game lodge in Namibia situated in the Kalahari desert with a lot of different wildlife which mounts up +- 4600 head of game and between 18 to 20 different species and also 150 to 180 different birdlife in a private reserve of 10 000 hecatres. The Lodge is situated about 250 km from Windhoek, the capital city of Namibia and 40 km to the east of the nearest town, Mariental.
The lodge is made up of different types of accommodations with chalets out on the dunes as well as several campsites with ablution and cooking facilities. Within the hotel, there is a restaurant, bar, entertainment area and swimming pool. Behind the lodge are the stables where there are 20 horses (quarter horse mixed with namibian wild horse).
The activities are the following: Game Drives [morning ,day and night ], Sundowners, Bushmen Walk, Cheetah feeding, Horseback Safaris, Stargazing with 10 inch computerised telescope and sun telescope during the day, Massages in Spa, Curio shop. We mainly cater for the international market and a small percentage on the local market. Most of our guests speaks French, English and German. Our food and service are on a very high standard.
There are about 80 workers living in the lodge, all from different tribes (bushman, Damara, Nama, Owambo…). Most of the staff speak english and afrikaans. The managers speak French, German and English. During your stay, you will be part of the big family and you will stay with two other volunteers.
- Be self-confidence and have good communication-presentation skills as you deal with customers in a high standards lodge
- Adaptation abilities to work in another country with a different culture
- Have a positive attitude!
- Have a handy nature and good physical condition
Helping with Tourists
We need you to stay at least 1 month ½ for the animals to get used to you. We would prefer if you stay 3 months.
WE ARE FULL UNTIL END OF JUNE // PLEASE DON'T CONTACT US IF IT'S TO HELP BEFORE JUNE
We have three positions availables. PLEASE, ON THE TITLE OF YOU EMAIL, WRITE HORSES or STARGAZING or CHEETAHS (and you'll get a quicker answer!!) :-)
--> Purpose of your position : Improve the customers’ experience on horseback safari by giving explanation about the Kalahari to the customers
--> Composition : Three permanent cowboys (bushmen), one or two volunteers, one stable manager and 20 horses
--> You are under the authority of the stable manager, Auriane, and the lodge directors, Etienne and Angela
FIRST MISSION : Accompany customers’ ride. You must:
- Prepare the horses with western equipment
- Give explanations about the Kalahari to customers
- Control the energy of your horse and make sure that the horses of the customers stay in a line and don’t eat grass
- Promote the activity at the sundown
SECOND MISSION : Training the horses. You must:
- Train between 3 to 8 horses per day in the western style in a circle of longe or in an arena
- Follow the instruction of the stable manager to give the best training related to each horse
THIRD MISSION : Maintenance of the stable. You must:
- Make sure that the horses are always good looking (brushed, washed, fed and treatment of wounds)
- Keep the stable clean (saddle room and workshop)
- Knowledge : About wild animals in the reserve (you will refer to a guidebook to acquire this knowledge)
- Know-how : Slide passes (half pass and leg yielding), flying changes, cantering from walking, shoulder-in and hips-in to a horse (western or English style)
IMPORTANT : For this position, your maximum weight is 80kg. Before you are allowed to train a horse or go for a safari ride, your riding skills will be tested. You will be prevented from riding if we think your skills and abilities are insufficient. So, please don’t let this happen!
--> Purpose of your position : Namibia is one of the best country for stargazing. You will ensure the stargazing activity on your own and translate in French or German when recquired. You will help in other duties the rest of the time.
--> Composition : One permanent astronomer, one volunteer
--> You are under the authority of the astronomer, Panda, and the lodge directors, Etienne and Angela.
FIRST MISSION : Participate in the stargazing activity. You must:
- Give explanations about the southern sky and translate the information given by the local astronomer
- Promote the activity at sundown
SECOND MISSION : Other duties. You may:
- Help at any missions regarding the maintenance of the lodge
- Knowledge about space and southern sky (may be given by the astronomer)
CHEETAH MASTER ASSISTANT
--> Your purpose is to assist the cheetah master four times a day during feeding hours of the cheetah. You will also help in other duties the rest of the time.
--> Composition : One permanent assistant, one volunteer, one cheetah master and 8 cheetahs
--> You are under the authority of the cheetah master, Göran, and the lodge directors, Etienne and Angela.
FIRST MISSION : Accompany cheetah feeding. You must:
- Feed the cheetahs with a bowl and answer to the guests’ questions
- Feed baby animals found in the reserve with a baby bottle (springbok, oryx, ostriches, ...)
- Spread some Lucerne by car in the reserve for wild animals and wash the drinking trough two/three times a week
SECOND MISSION : Other duties. You may:
- Help at any missions regarding the maintenance of the lodge and the cheetah
- Knowledge about the cheetah (the cheetah master will teach you what you have to know)
- Have a very good physical condition for maintenance job
PLEASE NOTE : You may be shared out from all these tasks depending on the specific needs we have (sometimes we have a lot of baby animals, sometimes more maintenance to be done, also depending on your riding experience).
English / German
You will be housed in the guide rooms, which are very comfortable however your stay there will depend on availability, and as such you may be asked to vacate your room quite frequently for visiting guides.
You have free access to the reading room, the lounge/television room. Meals and beverages [no alcohol drinks included] are free of charge.There is a quite good internet at some places of the lodge but you may not have it in your room.
Volunteers have access to all the facilities and activities for free
20 different wildlife 150 to 180 different birdlife
Game drives [ morning , day and night ]
Stargazing with computerised telescope
Swimming pool and entertainment area
Library books reading
Sundowners on red dunes overlooking the savannahs
Certificate will be issued from the lodge to them after completing their term.
Very good African experience
Get to know a lot of international connections
Get a nice sun tan!
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
max 25 hours a week, 2 days off