The heart of our project is a permaculture ranch encompassing a tourism initiative in the offing.
We are passionately committed to permaculture practice. We have already transformed barren soil in the property into a productive medium conducive to indigenous microorganism and earthworms. With this foundation in place we are open to volunteers that are passionate and can bring in value addition.
As a permaculture site our volunteers work outdoors and the work is agriculture based and manual with some tasks involving the upkeep of free range chickens. Our food is organic and natural.
Volunteers operate here under minimal supervision and freedom within the briefing provided and have fun doing it. You are expected to work 5 hour days/5 days a week. Ideally we would like you to take this knowledge and exposure to wherever you go and help transform earth into better place to live. We believe that the solutions to the world’s problems can be solved in the garden. By now you will realize we are ardent students of Bill Mollison and Geoff Lawton!
The beauty of this location is you live in the jungle corridor and have 20 minutes access to the beach! The beach is a paid tuktuk ride away.
When applying for volunteering kindly furnish the following:
1. Introduce yourself
2. Country of origin
3. Other interests here so we can better help you.
4. Skills, interest and talent you are blessed with that you could bring into our effort here.
*️*️WE ARE LOOKING FOR A PERMACULTURE DESIGNER. IF YOU ARE OR KNOW ONE WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
Benefits of WA with us:
1. Insight into local village life.
2. Exposure to elephant territory; experience human-elephant conflict depending on paddy season.
3. Plenty of nature and wildlife photography.
4. Hiking and trekking.
5. Enjoy local food and hospitality.
6. Experience the word “laid back”!
7. Enjoy the famous Passikudah beach!
8. Fantastic photography opportunities
11. Exposure to local cooking in the ranch!
Areas volunteers could contribute in:
1. Permaculture: Agriculture work outdoors, design and documentation if you are competent in permaculture.
2. DIY projects: beautify, arrange indoors, decor and art, shelves, recycled wood projects such as raised beds.
3. Photography, photo documentary.
4. Video blogging and digital marketing of the ranch and tourism: Promote us online.
We are flexible and understanding and we expect the same in reciprocation. We are a laid back operation and can benefit from volunteers that can envision and self-manage themselves so they remain an example and inspiration to our small team of employees. Your positive feedback is very important to us and we hope you take the trouble to complete your review once you are done here.
English, sparingly Spanish, Sinhala and Tamil.
Comfortable, clean, spacious dormitory with spacious and nice bathrooms.
The Vakanery and other ancient dams, the famous Pasikuda and Kalkuda beaches, fishing wadis, access to some of the best hotels from under the stars to five star options too are in the Passikudah area which is about 15-20 mins from us. Workaways have access to this variety of experiences and excursions during their stay here.
Trekking the beautiful trails on the wide open spaces of Punani is one of the most popular options for our fit Workaways.
We offer reasonably priced snack options for you to take on your days off when you visit the attractions
You are advised to obtain a local SIM card from Dialog Telekom at the airport. This will give you reliable and cheap 4G internet access here. We no longer share out internet!
*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️When you arrive you obtain tourist visa. Do not mention volunteer/work; that simple! Be sure to contact us at least a week prior to your arrival and email copy of your passport ID page and visa.
*️️️We love music and if you can play musical instruments your presence will anyways be a bliss :)
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
5 hours a day, 5 days a week