MARC & ALEJANDRA
We are Alejandra and Marc, a couple with complementary skills and abilities guided by their shared values and cosmovision. Marc was born in the Catalan Pyrenees, in the land of the Ceretani, a branch of the Iberians. Alejandra was born in Entre Rios (between rivers), a province in center-east Argentina.
Nowadays, we live
- Part time in Australia, in the land of the Gunaikurnai, an aboriginal nation of the Australian South-east.
- Part time in Argentina, in land whose ancestors are the Guaranies (center east AR) and Comechingon (center-west AR)
- Other places when we have to work and stay abroad. (mainly the southern hemisphere)
These three places (Argentina, Australia and Catalonia) constitute three corners of Earth. This tells us that, alongside with the connection to our ancestral lands, we need to extend our arms to embrace as much diversity as possible; perhaps, by living between these locations, we are trying to embrace the whole planet.
ABOUT OUR PLACE
In Australia, we live in a community on the foothills of the Snowy Mountains. The community consists of 5 houses built around a veggie garden and an orchard, surrounded by the Australian bush with little pockets of Gondwanian rainforest. This is a very old land where wildlife lives without predators. Kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, emus, rosellas, kookaburras and king parrots can be seen from the house. Koalas live 20 km up the road while lyrebirds can be heard at all times.
We live in sacred land, a land protected by the ancestors of those who walked it since the beginning. It is a land that has never been stained by war, so the vibrational imprint is very pure. The valley is called W Tree, one of the only two places in Australia that has a nature related name. It is home to a very diverse community, with a Tibetan Meditation Centre, two eco-villages and several interesting ventures. We live in one of those two eco-villages.
The eco-village is located on the slopes of Mt Murrindal, which in the Gunai Kurnai language means thunderbolt. From a feng-shui perspective Mt Murrindal is the head of a dragon, it is the point of intersection of two ley lines and a place that 350 million years ago had active volcanoes. The house is located at the intersecting point where the lava of those volcanoes touched the old shore of an inland Gondwana Sea.
We have the company of Pacha, our playful dog.
WHAT DO WE DO
Together, we run projects aiming at:
- Helping restore ecological balance,
- Build bridges between cultures, and
- Prompt the rediscovery of the Self as spiritual collective beings.
We are both social entrepreneurs that have made of the projects our life mission and a vision for the future.
We understand that the future can only result from the combination of what we need to recover from the past and what is valuable to keep from the present. That is why our projects are simultaneously and synergically oriented in two directions.
1. Those who seek to apply what we consider valuable to keep from our present. In this sense, we work with indigenous communities and others that are isolated in projects related to:
- solar electricity, renewable energies
- the design, implementation and development of inclusive and integrative plans to recover the 'Sumak Kawsay' or good living
- the design and implementation of tools that look after six aspects when evaluating a project (natural, social and relationship, human, intellectual, manufacturing and financial)
2. Those who help revive what we believe need to be recovered from the past. These projects are oriented to recover the ancestral wisdom that lives in the values and worldviews of the original peoples. These projects involve:
- creation and publication of content in different formats and languages
- creation of physical places and virtual platforms to share ancestral cosmovisions and practices
Metaphorically speaking, we help bring light (solar electricity, tools for resource management, capacity building strategies) to the original inhabitants of the world while we also help to bring the light of these communities (their wisdom, values, worldview) to the rest of the world.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
Our aim is to provide a safe and nurturing environment that helps people unfold their potential. The result is a multicultural environment in which we all learn from each other because there are no limits to what can be learnt when the environment is conducive to the experience of learning.
WHAT DO WE OFFER
In exchange, we offer accommodation (see details below) and delicious vegetarian meals, since we both love cooking (for vegan and gluten free, please contact us).
We also offer afternoon workshops (once or twice a week) on 'The Art of finding Ourselves' , which we teach through the 'Khuyas of the Mastay', a set of power stones that help us to connect with our inner Self.
Additionally, we can provide an insight on:
- Chumpi Inka (Andean pranic healing)
- Raja Yoga (meditation)
- Hatha Yoga (yoga postures ‘asana’ and breathing techniques ‘pranayama’)
- Ana Yoga (healthy cooking)
- Nada Yoga (the yoga of sound)
- Dream Yoga (astral projection)
- The Alchemical Tree of Life (understanding that all is vibration and learning about the five notes of creation and how they express themselves in the different planes of consciousness).
- Natal Charts (from the Kabbalistic Astrology perspective)
- Mayan Tzolkin (Mayan Astrology)
and talk about other topics such as Family Constellations, I Ching, etc.
We also like to help you organize activities for your day off such as visiting nearby beaches, trekking, swimming at natural pools, etc. As a volunteer you are also invited to social activities such as music nights, pizza nights, get together, etc.
OUR TYPICAL ROUTINE
Observation: What we outline here is a typical routine, but it can be adjusted to best suit needs and conditions.
- We offer breakfast between 6.30 - 7 am
- Activities start at 7.30 or 8 and finish at 12 or 12.30 pm with a 30 minutes break.
- Lunch is served around 12:30 or 1 pm
- Dishes (by turn) after each meal.
- Free-time the rest of the day
- Dinner is served around 6.30 pm.
During your free time, you can enjoy:
- Books (you have a library in the volunteers house)
- Documentaries, interviews and information on all the topics above-mentioned,
- Tipi, to meditate
- Musical instruments
- Board Games.
We offer 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner). You can also bring personal food items or buy nearby.There is a food-coop 15 minutes walk or you can buy on further away stores on your day off.
Internet is limited for two reasons:
- The fact that our Internet access is satellite and we have a monthly quota. If the amount is consumed before the term, we cannot add or buy more quota and need to wait till the beginning of the next period. As we use it for work, we cannot run out of it.
- We encourage volunteers to get touched by the magic of the place and share quality time together.
Therefore, internet is available during limited hours of the day and everyone has a quota.
We look for volunteers who would like to stay for about 10 days helping us with our different projects. We would prefer people with previous working experience in the areas we need help with.
The activities involved can be divided in two groups:
1. Publishing and app/web development projects
2. Outdoors and general maintenance projects
We are happy to have people doing either one or combining the two in order to get a balance between indoor and outdoor activities.
PUBLISHING AND APP/WEB DEVELOPMENT
If you are going to assist us in these areas, we need you to have demonstrated professional experience in at least one of the following skills:
1. Graphic design, Artistic drawing and painting (Photoshop, Pixelmator,etc.) and Vector Graphic Editor (InkScape, Adobe Illustrator, etc.),
2. Web animation (Hype 3, Adobe Flash, Adobe After Effects, Slider Revolution, etc.), 3D animation (Blender), Video Editing (Adobe Premier, Final Cut, etc.),
3. Book Layout (Adobe InDesign, Scribus, Scrivener, Jutoh, etc.),
4. CMS: WordPress, Joomla and Moodle,
5. On-line marketing and SEO and Databases (Postgres).
6. App design (Adobe XD,...)
OUTDOOR RELATED PROJECTS
If you are going to help outdoors, it would be great if you had skills related to:
2. Building with earth materials
3. Working in a veggie garden
4. General maintenance
As we live in community, we exchange and contribute with our neighbours. At times, when our neighbours need help, a group of volunteers might go to their place, do the working hs and lunch there. This is a great opportunity to learn new skills and get to know the neighbourhood.
If you are a French, Portuguese, Italian or Chinese speaker, we will require you to speak in those languages as part of the exchange to give us the opportunity to improve our language skills.
English, Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, French, Italian and some Mandarin Chinese.
Volunteers have their own house. Depending on the number of volunteers you will have a room for yourself or share it with others (2 per room)
We also try to offer couples a room or place for themselves (it depends on availability)
ARRIVAL should be on a Wednesday or Friday around 5 pm. (exceptionally, another day around 5 pm)
Please bear in mind that if you are not already in Australia by the time you contact us, we will require you to have the air-ticket booked before we can secure you a place. This is so because at times, people had the intention to come but when the moment came to buy the air-ticket, they realise how far Australia is from the rest of the World.
Wednesday or Friday around 5 pm. (exceptionally, another day around 5 pm)
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
-25 hs a week + daily maintainance