Our new business started when we lost the our islands to flooding from Isimba Dam in 2018. Our aim is to offer affordable, comfortable and clean accommodation set in an environment where guests feel at home. Our ethos has always been focused on limiting our impact on the environment as much as possible and we continue this mission with our development in Jinja.
Grey water systems have been installed to water our gardens, we have provided solar lighting throughout and recycle and re-use as much as possible. We use all the kitchen scraps and garden cuttings to make our own compost. We offer all clients free filtered water to limit the use of plastic .
We have recently committed to helping a primary school in a community close to us in order to assist them with rain water harvesting, building more classrooms, improving their current compost toilet and installing a bio-digester off their current composting toilet to provide enough gas for cooking, thereby reducing their need for charcoal.
We often host primary and secondary schools (from within and outside Uganda) for outward bound educational learning; teaching children about the environment in which they are living; their impact on the environment and showing them ways in which they can minimise their impact on this beautiful planet as much as possible.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
Travellers to Jinja, Uganda would be exposed to an incredible community with a diverse cultural mix. Jinja is known as the adventure capital of Uganda and does not disappoint! Ugandan's are by far one of the friendliest of nations and are known for their wonderful hospitality and generous natures. Jinja is the source of the mighty Nile River and there are a vast number of activities that can be enjoyed; both on and off the water.
We are looking for willing helpers to assist us in the following areas:-
1. Training staff on international hygiene standards.
2. Assisting with the training and development of housekeeping staff in line with European standards and expectations.
3. General maintenance around the compound.
4. Teaching students at the community school in Buwende on hygiene (we would like to install and make as many "Tippy Taps" as possible for schools in the area who do not have running water).
5. We would like to improve adult literacy within our local community - so any assistance in this regard would be a great help.
6. Working in the vegetable garden; planting and propagating seeds and seedlings
7. Assisting with the gray water re-cycle and water management system
8. Assistance with online media, social media and advertising methods and methodology
English, Swahili, Afrikaans
We would offer free full board and lodging in a dormitory room. We have four dormitory rooms that sleep either 4, 5 or 6 people and each dorm has its own toilet and shower. There is free Wifi in the restaurant and we have a lovely swimming pool for guests to enjoy too.
Breakfast consists of an omelette wrapped in a chapatti known as a Rolex, (rolled eggs), a fruit platter and tea and coffee. Lunches and dinners would be arranged on the arrival of the workawayer.
Jinja is the adventure capital of Uganda and helpers will be able to spend time exploring Lake Victoria, the Nile River and the beautiful tropical forests around Jinja. Cycling is very popular and travellers can hire mountain bikes, (or bring their own) as there are a number of trails and routes that follow the river. Jinja has a wonderful eclectic variety of musicians performing most nights of the week and there is a regular open mic night once a month, as well as jazz evenings and drumming performances.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4 hours a day, 5 days a week