We are looking for serious, responsible, sociable people, preferably with experience working with dogs(animals) and outdoors, who like to leave behind a well done job, with genuine interest in life with dogs, nature, possibly herbs and natural approach to life.
------ PLEASE READ OUR PROFILE CAREFULLY TILL THE END!!! - THIS IS NOT YOUR USUAL WORKAWAY ------
THIS IS A VERY UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY AND EXPERIENCE FOR ONLY THE RIGHT KIND OF PEOPLE.
We are Czech couple living on a remote homestead in Swedish wilderness, 40km away from the nearest town.
We operate a large Siberian husky kennel. We take big pride in our dogs´happiness and wellness, being
social with humans and other dogs due to the positive approach, communication and training methods, so we require
positive approach also from our volunteers.
Our place is located on the bank of 140km long Vattudalen lake, surrounded by never
ending nordic forests and highlands. There is no restaurant, cafe or bar to socialize at, and there are no other people than us or possibly another workawayer, to hang out with. We are social, but very busy and while we love to share our lifestyle, knowledge and philosophy, we cannot socialize with you every evening.
Every day is a pursuit of a dream - of living as sustainably and self sufficiently as possible, in harmony with mother Nature and coexistence with our "wild neighbors".
We have a huge respect for nature and environment and we ask our volunteers to respect these values as well.
Katerina is an herbalist and natural nutrition consultant with the focus mainly on animals, certified REIKI healing practitioner and Bach Flower Remedy therapist. She formulates remedies and supplements for animals and people as well from the wild herbs that grow in our clean neighborhood.
Jachym is a software developer by trade.
The major part of the work is help with taking care of our dogs - namely feeding, poop scooping, letting dogs out to run in large yard, walking senior dogs and those retired from mushing, brushing them, socializing with dogs and helping us prepare our teams for training runs (season and weather dependent.
Besides taking care of our dogs, the work differs during seasons - spring till fall it is for example different building projects and kennel maintenance (repairs, etc.), gardening, harvesting herbs and foraging.
Katerina may ask for your help with blending herbal teas and other remedies for her customers, which is a great opportunity to learn about herbal and holistic medicine as her "apprentice".
From fall till spring it is mostly taking care of the huskies, help with training our dog teams and preparing them for races and tours, which we operate on a small scale.
As you see this is a very specific and unique workaway opportunity, suitable for only those who are TRULY interested in this kind of lifestyle, in taking care of and working with dogs, herbal medicine and natural health care and sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle.
We live simply and humbly, we heat with wood we make ourselves, we cook simple meals.
This is no place for high-maintenance people, picky eaters, people who easily get cold, people with low energy levels, tendency towards depression, or people with lack of self-motivation.
We recommend to read feedback from our previous apprentices.
With the best interest for both - you as our guest and apprentice and us as your hosts and owners of this place - in mind, we would like to agree with those of you coming for 4 weeks or longer stay, on a 2 week trial period. If we do not seem to be a match during this time, without hard feelings we would part our ways.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF:
1. You have history of depression
2. You cannot stand low temperatures
3. You cannot work independently and cannot entertain yourself
4. You want to experience Swedish language and culture (we live REMOTE in the wilderness and we are not Swedish, although we do speak Swedish language)
5. You are a negative person who tends to complain a lot
6. You don´t have positive, loving and passionate approach to dogs, cats, wild animals and do not respect them
7. You cannot follow instructions
8. You are moody
9. You cannot lift and carry 20kg (50lb) buckets, bales of straw, etc.
10. working with raw meat for the dogs makes you disgusted or uncomfortable
11. You consider sled dog sport (mushing) as cruel
12. You do not have respect for nature and your surroundings
13. You do not have respect for other peoples´ property, privacy and lifestyle
14. You are not flexible and easy going
15. You are not fast learner
16. You hate or cannot stand mud, snow, rain, mosquitos, freezing temperatures, smell of raw meat, smell of animal ecrements, dog hair on your clothes
17. You are allergic to cats!!!
18. You are not a practical and handy person (while we are more than happy to share our knowledge with you, we are not here to teach you carpentry, building, cooking, taking care of yourself, etc.)
19. You just want to do your assigned work for an assigned amount of hours and then have a free time to experience something else.
20. You want to come for less than 3 weeks (unless we specifically ask for help for a shorter period of time in the top line of our profile)
21. You are an alcoholic or drug addict
PLEASE DO APPLY BY ALL MEANS IF:
1. You have a positive and happy personality
2. After a long day of hard work, or bad weather or tough day you can still share a smile with others
3. You are a responsible and attentive person
4. You are a REAL DOG and animal LOVER
5. You are interested in living this authentic and unique lifestyle with us
6. You want to be part of our team, even if for a short period of time
7. You REALLY want to learn about dog care, sled dogs and natural health care/herbal medicine
8. You are ready to contribute a lot and learn a lot in return
9. You are an initiative person who doesn´t just do what they are told
10. You want to apprentice with a certified herbalist and animal natural health care and nutrition specialist with 20+ years of experience
11. You are a practlcal and handy person (skilled carpenters most welcome!!!)
12. You have read the entire text and feel that this is your calling! Write "husky apprentice application" as your message subject line
13. You want to experience the life at our wilderness husky farm and herbal apothecary
14. You are a tidy person
15. You are physically fit
16. You enjoy working outdoors, even in cold weather or dark
17. hanging out with dogs most of the time sounds like a great fun!
We are looking forward to meeting, working and sharing experiences with you!
Help in the house
This is an opportunity to experience, be part of and apprentice in a very unique, authentic lifestyle
In general the help consists mainly of feeding, cleaning, walking, socializing with the dogs. Beside
that there are irregular tasks - help with maintenance, building projects, preparing
firewood for the winter, cleaning snow...
Feeding and associated tasks like preparation of the food, cleaning,... takes
approximately 1.5 hours in the morning and about one hour in the evening. Between
that there is maintenance in the kennel, shorter walks with some dogs, interacting
with the pack while they are loose in our big dog yard, helping getting teams ready for training (season and weather applicable) and other tasks related to the dogs.
During the day we may have other work assignments, depending on what needs to
be done and helper's abilities - like building fences, repairing a dog house, lawn
We have breaks after the morning feeding, for lunch and long
break in the afternoon before evening feeding. The volunteering times tend to be irregular, due
to the nature of the work, as we are 1) living and working with live animals, 2) located remote and in the wilderness 3) located in a northern climate close to the Arctic Circle. All of these elements have big impact on how our days and work turn out to be! :)
Besides taking care of our dogs, the help differs during seasons - spring till fall it is for example different building projects , gardening, harvesting herbs and foraging.
From fall till spring it is mostly taking care of the huskies, help with training our dog teams and preparing them for races (if we are racing during given season), and tours, which we operate on a small scale and irregularly.
English, Czech, Swedish
Shared mini apartment - separate entrance, entrance hall, kitchenette, new
bathroom with shower and a large fully furnished room.
Equipment: fridge, double cooker, microwave owen, water boiler, toaster, shoe dryer
We have 8Mbit unlimited ADSL connection
Unless we make other arrangements with you, we provide usually two main meals a day (lunch, dinner) and breakfast items for you to make your own breakfast. We supply basic breakfast ingredients to last for specific amount of time, if you run out earlier, you need to re-supply by yourself.
We DO NOT provide snacks between meals and we cannot cook extra food for special needs (reasonable vegetarian food is no problem).
We live on the bank of beautiful lake, we are surrounded by beautiful forests full of
wildlife - moose, bears, deer,reindeer. There are many small lakes in our
surroundings, it is easy to take some food and head out for a day outside.
You can go fishing, or visit 43m high waterfall located about 1 hour drive up from us (summer-autumn only). In winter time, you can borrow snowshoes and explore the area or visit the many tiny islands on the lake.
The nearest shop is in a small town of Stromsund, located 40km (25 miles) south from us. Our
closest city is Ostersund, located 140km south of us, with nice museum of local
history and all the shops you can imagine. Östersund has also airport, railway and bus stations.
TRAVEL TIP: Fly to Stockholm and take a train to Ostersund, then a bus to Stromsund. This seems to be the most economical way, used by many of our volunteers.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
aproximetly 5 hours per day, 5 days a week