We are Sanne and Marc, a couple from the Netherlands. For work, Sanne edits study books and Marc teaches singing and theatre.
We are living with our 3 year old boy and a cat in a cortijo next to Torvizcón, 20 minutes from Orgiva in Andalucia, Spain.
We're renting a nice house on about 1 hectare of garden with olive trees, just next to the village and close to the river.
It's off-grid and Marc just built a solar system to charge our recently bought electric car.
Sanne is starting a new vegetable garden. Then there is the project of building a yurt, that we're slowly working on. We have walls and doorframes and the next step is to steam the roofpoles.
What we mostly need is help in and around the house and with our son, so we get some space and time to work on the different projects we're trying to do. Next to household and babysitting we also sometimes need help with the projects, depending on what we're doing at the time you're with us. We'll be happy to share our knowledge of off-grid living and electric cars if you're interested. We cleaned the swimming pool in the garden, it's lovely!
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
Nature, learn about living off grid, yurt building
We need 1-2 people to help us. You're welcome to come for any amount of time!
We're looking for people who are okay with being in a quiet place. We're just one family and we only have one or two volunteers at a time. So you'll find a welcoming family home and quite some time to yourself in your caravan. We always share the big meal of the day, which is mostly lunch and sometimes dinner. The other meals it depends, we can eat together, but if we're very busy or if you prefer, you can also have those meals in the caravan.
- Baby sitting: entertaining our son, so we can get something else done
- Cooking & washing up
- Some cleaning/laundry
- All kinds of little jobs around the house
- A bit of gardening
- The yurt: making roof poles (steam bending the wood, cutting poles to size)
- are you a carpenter and you like to work on something original? we still need help building the doors of the yurt! (the doorframes are almost finished)
Dutch, English, Spanish (a little), French (a little)
- a completely equipped caravan to live in
- warm shower in the house
- lovely swimming pool
- the food (fruit/cereal/bread/cheese for breakfast and dinner, and a decent vegetarian meal for lunch)
- when we go to Órgiva, we'll give you a lift (we go about 4 times a week)
If you don't have your own transport, we can pick you up somewhere or you can take public transport.
Things to do in free time:
Without transport you can go for walks in the mountains around us and to Torvizcon, or just hang out in the garden, at the pool, or in your caravan.
With your own transport or public transport:
- Go to Órgiva, the main town of the area, with lots of activities like concerts and yoga classes
- Go up into the Sierra Nevada for beautiful hiking
- Relax at one of the beaches, at about 45 minutes drive.
- Granada is about 1 hour away
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week (we're flexible)